Recommend the best of the free Firefox add-ons

I use the one built into the Google toolbar, it works quite well.

BBCode
Adds BBCode/HTML/XHTML formating to the context menu for forums like Mozillazine.
(all the coding in this post was done with this, lets you add your own tags)

BBCodeXtra
BBCodeXtra is an extension, compatible with Mozilla FireFox and Mozilla Suite, which adds to the context menu new commands to insert BBCode/Html/XHtml codes in an easy and fast way.

BBCodeXtra suits well with all forum types, for example:

• phpBB
  • Invision
  • VBullettin
    (not as good as BBCode, but the vB tags are easier to get to)

QuickNote
A note taking extension with advanced features.
(highlight text on a webpage-R click-Send to QuickNote, copies the text and adds the url to the text makes cites real easy)

Spellbound spell checker

CMC fnord!

I want to thank all of you for your responses.

Curiously, I posted the OP on 6/2. Here it is the
Day of the Beast (6/6/6 :slight_smile: ) and I just got the very
first email notification. from SDMB that someone
crowmanyclouds it turns out — had posted

I had thought no one noticed my OP and quietly gave
up on it. So what did I discover this morning? A gold
mine of add-ons and comments.

Thanks again!

I don’t use a lot of extensions, but most of my favorites have been mentioned already (Forecastfox, Tab Mix Plus, IE View, and FireFTP). I rely heavily on search plugins, and one extension that I haven’t seen mentioned yet is SearchPluginHacks: it allows you to easily uninstall a search plugin.

I just went and installed Add Bookmark Here – thanks, Yookeroo!

A new version of PDF Download was released on May 24th: I’m too lazy to look through the documentation to find out if the problem you mention was addressed, but if anyone really liked it except for the bugginess they might want to give it another try.

Actually, today is 6/5/6. :slight_smile:

Is there anything that checks Bookmarks for dead links?

Just shows to go I’m always ahead of the times. :smack:

I’ve used this, although it is not a plugin. Did a pretty good job of it. Nothing sexy, but it works.

[ul]
[li]Remove It Permanently: Remove any element of a webpage or all webpages in a domain permanently. A good add-on to other ad-blocking strategies.[/li][li]Platypus: You need Greasemonkey (linked to upthread) to use this. Platypus is a graphical method for making new Greasemonkey scripts. It can be used for the same things Remove It Permanently is used for, but it can also be used for so much more. Get both, they both have wikis with downloadable scripts.[/li][li]BugMeNot: Bypass annoying mandatory registration at sites like nytimes.com.[/li][li]Tab Mix Plus: A great whack of tabbed browsing enhancements. This replaces a list of other extensions as long as your arm.[/li][li]Sage: Stay current on RSS and Atom feeds using this nice graphical extension.[/li][/ul]

<hijack=slight>
You may want to experiment with Firefox extensions. They do not all play well together. YMMV.
</hijack>

I’ve found a couple more I like:

Scrapbook captures pages, highlighted selections (html, images and all), or the page from a link you right-click. You can set it to capture all linked pages to a certain depth which is very useful for image galleries and some other things. You can access the captures from a sidebar.

Find Toolbar Tweaks controls the find bar, when it disappears and so forth.

Has anybody found one that makes your search history available in the menu that comes down from the search box? Also, is there one that makes it so that it goes to the start or end of a line when you use the up and down arrows in a form or toolbar?

The other thing is I’d like something that would prevent my browser from making sound unless I click to play something. I hate it when I’m browsing peacefully, maybe listening to some music with Itunes and all of a sudden my computer starts talking or making sex noises.