Recommendation for Mental health forum.

Folk of the Dope,

(Mods, not sure if this belongs here or in GQ, likely there are sites that are similar to what I am looking for, on the other hand I am asking for a recommendation. In any case please move if that’s deemed appropriate.)

So, yes I consider myself to be mentally ill. fwiw, I have a diagnosis, see a Mental Heath professional regularly and take psychotropic medications under that persons direction.

What I am interested in is a forum that focuses on mental issues. ideally it would be much more moderated then the Dope is, and those moderators would be mental health professionals.

I have been tempted to post about my mental health struggles here on the Dope, but it does not feel quite safe enough and the moderators are not, as far as I know mental health pro’s, and I surely do not need to add to their burdens…

I will not reply to questions about the medications I take or about my diagnosis.

Thanks to all who choose to reply.

Zuer-coli

Excellent idea. Many of us deal with mental health issues everyday, with varying degrees of success, and it would be helpful to share ideas with other “like-minded” people, if you’ll forgive the expression. Sometimes I think a beach volleyball game between, say, the bipolar people and the borderline personalities could be cool, if you could get everyone to show up. On the right day. Medicated.

I think there are sites for various specific disorders. Since OP doesn’t care to specify, we can’t suggest one of those. I’m aware of at least one site by and for people with the condition formerly called Asperger’s Syndrome.

You can try out psych central. They do have forums for specific conditions.

I can’t tell you how good or bad it is, but from time to time I’ve found my way over to crazymeds . us while looking up stuff about my preventive migraine meds. FTR, many migraine meds overlap with antidepressants and antiseizure. Between that and many migraine sufferers seeing specialty docs, they tend to get discussed on mental health boards.

Note: while trying to jog my memory for the name of that board, I see there’s also a crazymeds . net and a crazyboards. org. I honestly couldn’t tell you which one it was, but it can’t hurt to glance at all of them.

I have no idea if there are board modded by mental health professionals. If you really want or need to go that route, you may want to ask your doc for a recommendation. There could very well be board out there that they are aware or and like and think will suit you that are google indexed so people don’t randomly find them.

Thank you all for your replies.

Respectfully, as useful as sharing my diagnoses might be for refining a recommendation, I am not ready to do that.

Joey P. Your point about the forums accessibility is one I had not considered. Seems like it might be better to find a forum where you would need a recommendation from your Doctor, well, if such exist. Thanks for crazymeds . net and crazyboards. org

Sabernode, thanks for psych central.

I should say: my Doctor’s preference is that I re-establish with a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. [As I understand it, here in Indiana to practice mental health social work on your own, ie, not under a Doctors supervision, you need a License.] For reasons that I won’t elaborate, that’s doesn’t seem possible at this point.

nm

Thank you

Zuer-coli

Such a forum would pose challenges as far as verifying that participants are indeed diagnosed with a qualifying illness or condition.

Even assuming verifiability, my guess would be that mental health professionals would be uncomfortable moderating such a forum. It would come close to being treatment in an uncontrolled setting, with attendant concerns about liability and ethical responsibilities. There might also be issues over confidentiality as well.

Why not just have people talk, kind of like we’re doing right now? No doctors, no licensed therapists would join because of liability issues, which is fine. Use a pseudonym and you don’t have to reveal your identity. For example, I can say that mental health awareness is about a lot more than wearing a crazy hat one day a year. It’s an ongoing challenge, often made more difficult because of common misunderstandings about what mental illness really is.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually wished they had a forum just for health, all of which nearly all go to IMHO now. They could address the mental aspects there too. There’s hardly a newscast that doesn’t go by, that doesn’t devote some segment to health, whether the latest health study, good or bad food products, exercise, there are a lot of people interested in their health, and it wouldn’t hurt to know what states, cities, hospitals are doing the better job, and the worse, along with prices being more transparent.

What I know is that mental health awareness is about more than having Crazy Hat Day once a year. It’s an ongoing awareness and a choice to treat other people more humanely, helping to prevent some of the crises before they happen. Everyone needs a shoulder to lean on.

Hi, zuer-coli!

Whatever and wherever you decide to post, you help all of us by sharing your experience and being willing and available to listen to the experience of other psychiatrically diagnosed/labeled people.

If you do it here, on this board, I think you’ll find most people are actually decently good and respectful listeners.

I have a psych diagnosis or two in my own history, although I have a less rosy relationship with the psychiatric profession than you do. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t learn a lot from your experiences. I think it’s important for all of us, collectively, to get ourselves out of the shadows.

Because that doesn’t encourage self-reinforcement among vested parties. :rolleyes:

IMO, what the OP proposes greatly varies from the purpose of the Dope. Plenty of other avenues they can seek out.

Dinsdale,

Respectfully, I did not propose anything for the Dope, Mental Health related or otherwise. That was another persons post. To repeat, I asked for a recommendation, not an alteration in any of the practices of this Board.

Again with all due respect, your claim about my OP is wrong.

Zuer-coli

Thanks to all who have chosen to reply, I greatly appreciate it.

I don’t have anything more to add to this thread. and while keeping an eye on the thread, it’s likely I will not make further posts.

Again much thanks.

Zuer-coli.

With all due respect, the best remedy for ignorance about mental health is to talk about it, and there is a lot of ignorance about it. Sorry to hear that you have no interest in adding to this thread, Zuer-coli. You could have started a conversation that would have been very worthwhile.

Exactement, as the French would say. Conversations about mental health don’t have to be embarrassing or overly personal to be helpful to ourselves and others.

Biffster;

It’s more about feeling safe. My mental health issues feel so personal and have some very painful aspects. It was a big stretch to just ask for a recommendation.

I understand your general thrust about sharing mental health issues. I certainly agree that education about and better information regarding mental health is highly desirable. Regrettably, and with all due respect, I am not yet at the place where I can write about my mental health struggles on this board.

Zuer-coli

Biffster;

It’s more about feeling safe. My mental health issues feel so personal and have some very painful aspects. It was a big stretch to just ask for a recommendation.

I understand your general thrust about sharing mental health issues. I certainly agree that education about and better information regarding mental health is highly desirable. Regrettably, and with all due respect, I am not yet at the place where I can write about my mental health struggles on this board.

Zuer-coli

I understand and I can respect that. When discussing mental health issues with others, I try to stay more generic than personal if at all possible. For example, many people have experienced anxiety in short doses, but would have a hard time imagining anxiety that goes on for months with no relief, and often forget that there’s a person who experiences the illness firsthand behind whatever label the illness takes. Giving others the tools to imagine what it might be like is key to improving communication about this vital issue. Mentally ill people don’t wish to be ill and could use some assistance reintegrating back into work, family, society. It ain’t no picnic, but there are some great people who contribute much to society that also struggle with mental illness and associated issues.