Red clover, phytoestrogen, and cattle abortions

I read that “some” varieties of red clover (Trifolium pratense) are so rich in phytoestrogens that the plant produces uterine contractions in pregnant cows who eat it, causing spontaneous abortions.

I want to find more precise information on exactly which varieties of clover pack such a phytoestrogen punch. How much does it take to actually expel a fetus? Should pregnant women be concerned about using red clover as herbal medicine? There should be some way for consumers to evaluate the level of estrogen in clover that is sold commercially, or for that matter, clover you find growing in your yard or in the wild.

It’s become a cliché to speak of someone who’s living an easy life as being “in the clover” as though cows just love the stuff so much, a field full of it would be cow heaven. But ask a cow who’s just dropped her calf fetus prematurely about the dark side of this seemingly cute and innocuous little plant.

OK, since you’re all clamoring for a cite, here it is: and a bump, too

Red clover (Trifolium pratense). This herb contains 1 to 2.5 percent isoflavones. In one study, postmenopausal women who ingested clover, flaxseed and soy for two weeks had demonstrably higher estrogen levels, which declined when they went off the special diet. Some clovers are so estrogenic that they cause spontaneous abortions in cattle that overgraze on them. Red clover makes a pleasant-tasting tea.”
—James A. Duke, The Green Pharmacy (St. Martin’s, 1997), p. 394.

Dr. Duke’s book is of the popular press and lacks footnotes. Still, assuming that the bit about the ultra-estrogenic clover and the cows is true, I would like to follow up this lead.

OK, since you’re all clamoring for a cite, here it is: and a bump, too

Red clover (Trifolium pratense). This herb contains 1 to 2.5 percent isoflavones. In one study, postmenopausal women who ingested clover, flaxseed and soy for two weeks had demonstrably higher estrogen levels, which declined when they went off the special diet. Some clovers are so estrogenic that they cause spontaneous abortions in cattle that overgraze on them. Red clover makes a pleasant-tasting tea.”
—James A. Duke, The Green Pharmacy (St. Martin’s, 1997), p. 394.

Dr. Duke’s book is of the popular press and lacks footnotes. Still, assuming that the bit about the ultra-estrogenic clover and the cows, I would like to follow up this lead.