Reducing or just redirecting suicide?

Damn! I mean, good point and all but, wow.

I think another factor is that you will probably die but not necessarily instantly. You may just suffer broken bones or other injuries that cause you to drown or die of hypothermia in the water.

I think your view would apply more to impulsive suicides and cry-for-help suicides than to more dedicated suicides who may have spent some time thinking about how to get the job done.

Per the thread title, I’ve heard that successful suicide prevention is often a matter of persuading the despondent person to postpone the act rather than to somehow make a lifelong commitment against self-destruction.

And my wife’s death, 8 years ago next month, was anything but yielding to “the imp of the perverse.” She methodically hoarded her medication (muscle relaxants,) took her dog to the pound (we shared a morbid sense of humor, and I’m convinced she was mindful of Marie Prevost), and settled herself not in her bed but where someone looking through the blinds would see her. And, like most suicides, she left no note. (That in particular was painful for our daughter to bear, but I hope that in time she will accept that it is up to us to be understanding, not up to her mother to explain). It was a very bad time for us, but I do respect her for not making it a piece of theater for strangers.

I’m sure you aren’t meaning to suggest that these are “competent” ways to cry for help or to make a half-hearted attempt to live.

Tangential to the original question, but: More depressed people would live or would ask for help, but they are just too depressed.

A relevant poem, and one of the best, IMHO. Copied from here.

Resumé
By Dorothy Parker

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren’t lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

I didn’t know that - I haven’t heard of people committing suicide on the Dumbarton, but wikipedia says it’s 85 ft above the water at the highest, so it seems like that would be possible.