References

Hi,

I’m new to this site so correct me if I’m wrong, but I haven’t been able to find any references in the columns.
Can someone help me where I can find these? I am interested in the underlying scientific articles where the argumentation is based upon.

Cheers,

Cecil’s columns were written for a weekly newspaper. References were left off due to space limitations. I don’t believe there’s any way to go back and retrieve them.

Most columns spawned threads here when they were posted as “classic” columns. Those might have references and discussion. You can search those threads for topics of interest.

If you have questions about particular columns you can start threads of your own. You won’t get the original references but you should get a good discussion of the column’s accuracy.

The Powers that Be have been going back and adding references to some columns, but haven’t gotten to all of them yet.

Or at least, they had been. There have been some changes in management recently, so I don’t know what’s going on with that now.

Is there any particular column you were wondering about?

Thanks for the replies,
It was more a question in general, but it came to my mind because I was interested in the methodology in the underlying article spoken of in “do brain supplements do anything”. https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/10111/do-brain-supplements-do-anything/
Cheers,

The only source in that column would be the FTC suit against Quincy Bioscience. That’s easily found on the FTC site.