My husband and I work at the same place and he has a fridge in his office, so I pretty much do, too. Each week I bring enough stuff for us to eat on. Mainly right now we are on a steady diet of wrap sandwiches. It’s so easy – tortillas (which come in a variety of flavors: rosemary, cheddar and jalapeno, whole wheat, sun-dried tomato) and a few packages of lunch meat, pimento cheese, that sort of thing. I also keep us stocked with yummy condiments like horseradish as well as fruits that last a week, like apples and grapes.
I have access to a water cooler where I am, but he keeps water bottles in the fridge for himself. We each have microwaves in our areas – in addition to the agency’s fully functional kitchen with a stove, fridge, microwave and dishwasher – so I often heat the wraps. (Wrap them in damp paper towel first to prevent them from drying out.)
We also go through salad phases. I get the aforementioned bags of greens, and bring in tomatoes and tuna or salmon. (They have nice boneless salmon in pouches now; you don’t even need a can opener!) I never thought of making up hard-boiled eggs. That’s a good idea!
[QUOTE=Count Blucher]
Also, fish cannot be reheated. Ever. Its one of the commandments Moses broke over the orgy member’s heads, but was never copied down.
“Thou Shalt Not Twice Cook Thy Fish, Lest Through Thy Stink, Thou Shalt Be A Pariah Amongst Men”
[/QUOTE]
And when you microwave popcorn, you must be ready to share!!
I stick to regular or whole wheat tortillas, and don’t buy the ones designed for wraps; they have like nine grams of fat per! I think a large burrito-size regular tortilla has 2.5. I save the fat for the ingredients: olives, feta, hummus, cucumber, chicken grilled on my George Foreman grill, etc.
I have a 2 cubic ft refrigerator. It was bought by a guy who quitted 2 years back. When he left, he told me that he would leave the fridge AND the microwave, so they are now mine.
I mainly keep some bottled water in it as well as my lunch that I bring in. They sit on top of a desk that has 2 filing cabinets in it so I converted one of the cabinets into a pantry for keeping my canned goods and other foods that won’t spoil.
If I ever leave this place, the microwave and fridge are leaving with me.
[QUOTE=RSSchen]
In honor of office drones everywhere - please do not cook eggs in the microwave at work!
It stinks, bad.
[/QUOTE]
Or really anything that’s going to permeate the entire office with a smell for more than two minutes.
Popcorn is amongst it. I smell popcorn, I heave. I have to do this every morning because someone in Advertising MUST HAVE POPCORN EVERY MORNING. I’ve tried talking with the lady, no go. She doesn’t give a shit that her snack makes me physically ill. I could handle it if the popcorn smell went away fast. It doesn’t. It takes at least thirty minutes to dissapate.
In short: it’s not fair to the rest of the office to make it smell like any one given food for more than two minutes at a time.
As for the refrigerator thing: LUCKY! I wish I actually had a real cubicle. Ours aren’t real, and they aren’t cubicals. They’re lame star-shaped groups of four desks that could be cubicals except that they only have two walls and the tops are chopped off so everyone can see each other. If I had a cubical I’d totally get an office frige; the people in my office steal from the main one.
I agree. Burnt pop corn has brought the fire department to our office.
I’m a bit lucky in that way. It’s a cube but a big one. And I do need it. Three computers, two desks. A switch for my next cube neighbor.
Two UPS’s. Basic bookshelf and such. Sometimes it’s good to be IS.
[QUOTE=Chefguy]
Peasants. I have a reefer, and micro, AND a Keurig coffee maker (which is way cool). If I could just work in a TV, life would be perfect.
[/QUOTE]
You have reefer in your office? You work for Tommy Chong or something?