regarding jake brake article

we have a sign in kissimmee fl along a local road my sister and travel frequently that states no jake brakes , to which my sis asks the question ‘what is a jake brake ?’ course with my curiosity i look online to find out . i think the local city of kissimmee should be more concerned about red light runners than the noise the jake brake makes in a big diesel truck

Welcome to the SDMB, Kindrdsol!

It’s a good idea to put a link to the article in question right up there at the tippy-top of your thread. Not all of us have every single column by Cecil and his henchmen memorized, so perhaps this is the one you are referring to:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mjake.html

Also, are both “shift” keys broken on your keyboard? English is a lot nicer to read if it is used occasionally, don’t you think?

Actually, this thread was started in the wrong forum if I have the link correct. Note that it says, “From Cecil’s Mailbag by the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board” at the top of the Jake Brakes article.

Kindrdsol, this means it is not a “Cecil” column, but one by his sidekicks, so this should go in the Comments on Staff Reports (used to be called Mailbag Answers) forum, not the Comments on Cecil’s Columns forum.

I will notify a mod forthwith so it can be moved.

Welcome to the SDMB, kindrdsol.

I’ll move this thread to the Comments on Staff Reports forum.

Still, kindrdsol has a point, no matter where this thread ends up. Municipalities have laws against Jake Brakes and loud stereos and all that… but Harley riders are given free reign. Where’s the justice in that?

Cause Harleys are cool, man! :cool:

Because there is a substantial difference between a couple Harley’s a day going by, and hearing semi after semi go by using the engine brakes to slow down all day long. Usually, those signs are put up in places with moderate to heavy truck traffic, where use of engine brakes makes life annoying nearby. :slight_smile:
(and Harley’s are cool, and Harley riders aren’t pushovers, either… :stuck_out_tongue: )

Because drivers of delivery trucks and tricked-out Civics aren’t likely to storm City Hall and kick people’s asses? :smiley:

Well yeah, Harley’s are cool. :stuck_out_tongue: Didn’t mean to misconstrue. It’s just the arbitraryness that bugs me.

There are noise ordinances in California that specifically cover motor cycles.