Regarding Mother Teresa's letters

Well, Jenna Jameson brings light into the world. At least that’s what my guy friends tell me.

And myself, I’m a fan of Nina Hartley. :smiley:

Rather than take this thread off in a different direction, everyone with an interest in this topic might want to check out some previous threads on that separate topic:
Mother Theresa: Good, bad or indifferent?

How was Bl. Mother Teresa evil?

Mother Theresa a fraud?

I’m a philosophic agnostic and soft atheist, but I tend to think Mother Teresa’s terrible doubts led her to be more of a humanitarian. After all, if, as Teresa thought for many years, there is no God or heaven, then her work with the poor becomes even more important, not less.

So I now see her in a far better light than I had before.

Based on what I’ve read, Mother Teresa had a period rather early in her life when she strongly felt the presence of God, so personally and specifically that she had dialogues with Him. This may have been a genuine religious experience or a certain cocktail of chemicals in her brain or both; I don’t intend to argue that point. Then, for the remainder of her life (with the exception of one comparatively brief period), she never experienced that phenomenon again.

I believe that the absence of that feeling was a genuine loss to MT, regardless of its cause. I believe that she suffered through the deprivation and the contrast to her earlier experience. I deeply respect the fact that she clung to what she intellectually believed was her duty even when she was deprived of emotional reward.

I also respect people of strong belief (religious or not) who act positively and do good without ever having had that magnitude of positive emotional experience.

And in none of their interviews have they defended the Duvaliers or the Tontons Macoutes. Is casual sex really worse than drumming up support for sadistic dictators?

Good Lord. All this time I thought my 6.66" was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Now I suppose I’ll have to break into a church and stab it on an altar…

I just got a chance to read TIME magazine’s article on this. Yeah, we all have periods of doubt. But 50 years!? I walked away from the church after five. I think it calls into question the validity of her earlier “visions” when she allegedly heard Jesus actually talking to her. I don’t think God deserted her at all. I think the church patriarchs did her a horrible disservice by allowing and even encouraging her to believe she’d literally heard the voice of Jesus. They set the poor woman up for a life of torment. If there’s a heaven, I’ve no doubt MT is there, but if God really exists, he’s gotta’ be pretty upset with a couple of clergymen.