Regional Stereotypes Outside the U.S.

And Southern Italians see Northerners as stuck up and arrogant

I forgive 'em as long as they continue to cook like gods.

No mention of Parisians. Off the scale, I take it?

Based on my experiences living in New Zealand I’d say that similar city sophisticate/country bumpkin stereotypes also exist there. Aucklanders are considered to be arrogant, “on the make” types who are interested only in themselves. Everyone south of the Bombay hills is united in their dislike for them. Wellingtonians consider themselves more cultured than the rest. Everyone else just thinks they’re more boring. And I’ve heard various epithets like “hicks” applied by Wellingtonians to Mainlanders, especially those from Southland.

In Canada, people from Ontario are seen as snobby, at least by West Coasters.

Folks from BC are all stoned left-over hippies. Except for Surrey Girls. They’re a cross between Valley Girls and hookers. (What’s a Surrey Girl do when she gets up? Gets dressed - and goes home! )

Aw crap. I’m from Surrey! :wink: :smiley:

When I was in Australia, I was told this joke (holding a can of appropriate beer): “Why is this beer called XXXX? Because Queenslanders can’t spell beer.”

For anyone who hasn’t been to Austrailia XXXX brand is a Queensland beer.

And don’t forget the obligitory country bumpkin stereotypes for the folks up the Fraser Valley and beyond. Now that I’m living in Victoria, I find that Vancouver is seen as a standard big city, rather than the collection of stoners and hippies that the rest of the country perceives. Victoria, on the other hand, lives up to the BC stereotype perfectly from what I’ve seen, despite all the touristy more English than the English stuff.

I wanted to get to make the Surrey joke! After all, I went to high school there, even if I actually lived in White Rock, so that kind of makes me an honorary Surrey girl :wink:

Hence the question in the Driving-Test theory exam.

“where should you never park your car”

answer “Liverpool”

Some stereotypes from Germany:

Berliners: provincial (in a capital-city way), common, wedded to cushy Cold War-era conditions. Can’t speak proper German.
Bavarians: conservative, pious, rural. Can’t speak proper German. Almost a separate nation.
Hamburgers: cosmopolitan. Can almost speak proper German.
Hannoverians: Do speak proper German, are totally unremarkable otherwise.
Rhinelanders: Catholic, easygoing. Jolly when in season.
Swabians: thrifty, industrious, houseproud, provincial. Can’t speak proper German*.

Ossis (ex-East Germany): work-shy, negative selection from previous population**
Wessis (ex-West Germany): grasping, greedy, pushy

• They have embraced that stereotype - the catchphrase of Baden-Württemberg state’s official image campaign is: “We can do everything, except speak standard German.” (Wir können alles, außer Hochdeutsch)

** this is because of a lot of people with good prospects moving to West Germany after 1990, leaving the rest - the IQ of recruit-age young men in East Germany has already decreased measurably, and in the twentysomething age group the male/female ratio is more than 100/90 in some areas, young males being more stay-at-homes.

Ireland has loads.

Dublin:
Northsider…see Liverpudlian
Southsider…see Melbourne
D4 (the poshest part of south Dublin) has it’s own sterotype…a guy, dressed in chinos, boats shoes, and his school rugby top asking where everyone went to school, and slapping people hard on the back if they went to his.

Northerners: stingy bastards who can’t take a joke, and display this quality by blowing you up.

Kerrymen: poor and not bright. Hence all the Kerrymen jokes, basically the same jokes that rest of the world makes about the Irish in general.

Cavan and Monaghan: the same as the rest of the Northerner stereotype, but add in the rural, hick, inbred farmer stereotype.

The midlands…that would be BIFFO (Big Ignorant Fecker From Offaly) and BUFFALO (Big Ugly Fecker From Around Laois Offaly).

Limerick:same as North Dublin, but with added mafia-style criminal gangs, hence the nickname “Stab City”.

I was born and raised in Coventry. The factory workers there always considered themselves better than their counterparts in nearby Birmingham. Whereas the Coventry workers considered themselves precision engineers (working down to the nearest thou.) they dismissed the Brummy lot as mere metal bashers. So they used to call a hammer a “Birmingham screwdriver”

A quick guide to Australian stereotypes:

Melbourne: Cold, superior, tribal

Sydney: rude, venal, arrogant. Don’t seem to realise no-one else in the country likes them!

Queenslanders: laid back, naive and the further north the moreso. The old saying when you crossed the border at Cooloongatta “Queensland - set your clocks back and hour and your mind back 10 years” still largely applies.

South Australians - a bit weird

Western Australians - very weird. Perceptions are somehow lost in an early 80’s timewarp when they were all thought to have more money than God and therefore slightly dodgy. Always trying some angle to make money. This perception is validated by my father, who indeed went over there, tried a few angles and now has more money than God.

Territorians - hyper laid-back drunks.

Tasmanians - all the hillbilly jokes apply.

mm

I have to say that after a month in Broken Hill, NSW, the Outback stereotype of strange, inbred, alcoholic, lead poisoned, bigoted, psychotic locals with IQs in single figures wasn’t entirely off-base.

But since I spent most of that month working in the local emergency hospital, and for the sexual and mental health clinics, you can see why I might think that…

:smiley:
And the cute* hoor** from Cork.

• “cute” in Ireland doesn’t mean cuddly or nicelooking but kind of sly, especially in matters of money. A slightly shady wheeler dealer kind of vibe.

** term refers to men mainly.

From Holland:

• Province Zeeland: tight with money.
  • Province of Friesland: don’t do anything except iceskating and sports with incomprensible names in Frisian. Oh, and bang on about the importance of Frisian.
  • Province of Limburg: slow, rural, not terribly birght.
  • Amsterdam: usual capital city stereotype of rudeness.

Guess which province I’m from…

Aucklanders are Jafas- Just Another Fucking Aucklander (a Jaffa is popular NZ sweet/candy). Aucklanders are seen as being arrogant big city types who think the rest of the country is full of hicks.

Aucklanders are often right :smiley: (There is a South of the Bombays? Ohhhh that is where the sheep live!)

:D:D:D- multiple smilies to indicate that the South island is a very fine place.

India has a wealth of regional stereotypes, a lot of which I encountered in a couple years of living there, but probably only an Indian poster could really do them justice. The OP’s condition about the relationship between the stereotype and reality is a tough one to evaluate: even the thrifty ingenious Yankee and the swaggering Texan probably have some historical basis in fact. So with that in mind, here are some of the things that Indians seem to think about other Indians (and a handy guide to the Indian states for reference):

• North Indians in general: brisk, bustling, efficient (or, to Southerners, noisy, aggressive, impatient, uptight).

• South Indians in general: friendly, relaxed, pleasant (or to Northerners, slow, inefficient, lazy).

• Punjabis, especially Sikhs: Smart, practical, tough, clannish, but also rather dorky and absurd. Can’t speak proper Hindi. (Think stereotypes of Scots.) Carnivores.

• Bengalis: Effete intellectuals, bookish, frumpy. Buncha Commies.

• Rajasthanis: Proud martial mustachioed macho men. More modern stereotype of urban Rajasthani: yuppie striver.

• Gujjus (Gujaratis): Mercantile masterminds. (Hey, where’d all these "m"s come frome all of a sudden?)

• Marathis (Maharashtrians): Westernized, urban, glamorous, especially the Bombay-walas. Movie-mad. Talkveryfastallthetime.

• Keralese: Intellectuals, eco-freaks, bookish. Buncha Commies. Oh, and Christians.

• Delhi-walas: All the usual capital-city stereotypes.

Hmm. Why don’t I know any stereotypes about the eastern or central states (except Bengal)? I never heard jokes about the typical Orissan or Madhya Pradesh-ite or Andhra Pradesh-ite.

Also, Indians tell Sardarji jokes the way Americans tell Polack jokes or Canadians tell Newfie jokes. Sardarji is a nickname for Sikh.

So this guy is walking down a country road and sees a Sardarji lying on the ground next to a cow. He asks, “Hey Sardarji, do you know what time it is?” The Sikh reaches out his hand and lifts up the cow’s udder. “It’s 2:00.”

Later the same guy is going back the other way and sees the Sardarji and the cow again. He asks the time, the Sardarji lifts up the udder again, and says “It’s 2:30.” So the guy asks how he uses a cow’s udder to tell time. “If I move it out of the way, I can see the clock tower over there.”

Interesting. So can you point me to more information (or at least list) the tribes and regions?

So, what is the Newfie stereotype? The only Newfie I ever knew was a barrel-chested, lovable dog with extremely overactive salivary glands and more fur than 6 normal dogs.

I’ll offer some stereotypes from a Bengali perspective –

East Bengalis (Bangals) – not too bright, addicted to argument, unschooled.

West Bengalis (Ghotis) – lazy, addicted to gossip and sports

Being from a North Indian origin, I had no idea that there was a North Indian stereotype. In general, North Indians don’t consider themselves as part of a single group. Makes sense that South Indians would have such a stereotype.

South Indians are all grouped under the heading of Madrasis (when being polite) or Tetuls (“tamarinds”) when slightly less polite – all diversity among them is ignored by north Indians. They are seen as religious fanatics (especially the Brahmins, who are seen as annoyingly self-righteous) and militant vegetarians, often getting into feuds with neighbours over the smell of cooking meat and fish. Their eating method is stereotyped – all Indians eat with their fingers, but Madrasis are said to eat with their whole hands, letting sauces run down their arms and drip from their elbows. They are stereotyped as hard-working. In Calcutta, it is said, every office is full of Bengalis gossiping (“adda”) and discussing sports and there is always one Madrasi who does all the work.

Panjabis and Sikhs are seen as tough, handsome, and brave, but dumb as posts. They are considered uncultured, rude, boorish, taken to getting drunk and harrassing women. Their language is viewed as vulgar and debased. Their tastes are gaudy

This is pretty how much Bengalis see themselves – as the vanguard of intellectual and cultural development. Visionaries in literature, poetry, music, the arts, political science, and the leaders of criticism of all these fields. Effete, intellectual, artsy, labour-unionist, communist, self-satisfied, lazy malcontents.

Marwaris are the consummate businessmen, crafty and ruthless.

Gujjus: Misers and cheapskates

Mumbaikars: Shallow, pretty, sexually promiscuous, and socially ambitious. Think Paris Hilton.

Bombay Muslims: Mafiosi, drugrunners, whoremongers, money launderers (through the movie industry)

Bombay Marathis: Religious fanatics

Jains and Parsis: Business tycoons – Actually from a Bengali point of view, most other ethnic groups are financial geniuses.

Rude workaholics. And arms dealers. Spoiled politicial scions prone to drug addiction and shootouts in nightclubs.

Biharis – an aristocracy of uneducated, feudalistic criminal warlords.

Kashmiris – beautiful people