“Reign of Fire” Reactions *Spoilers*

I was very, very disappointed by this movie.

It needed about fifty times more dragons, preferably attacking more than one at a time. :rolleyes: It needed fewer people, and less complicated relationships between them.

Ten things I could have done without:

1. The alpha-male dominance struggle between Quinn and Van Zan
  2. The chick
  3. The unnecessary, distracting budding-romance between the chick and Quinn
  4. “Drago-Vision”
  5. Jared
  6. The ‘damn Americans’ sentiment (which was out of left field, and said as though the Americans were the ones who had awakened the dragons)
  7. The ‘single male among thousands of females’ thing (already mentioned)
  8. That a few scenes that were in the trailer (specifically, the ones that made me excited about this movie) weren’t even in the movie.
  9. The 3-D tracking technology (what/where were their fuel and electricity supplies, anyway?)
  10. That a crossbow and super-duper arrow can do what a planet’s worth of military forces apparently couldn’t (also already mentioned). I know this point was responded to above, but it raises another identical question: why is it that a planet’s worth of scientists couldn’t figure out the solitary-male thing, but one guy who just happens to be in Van Zan’s crew (now dead) figured it out?

I was very much looking forward to this movie, but it was so bad I actually fell asleep for a minute or two just after Van Zan and his men entered the picture.

I wish I’d stayed in and watched Dragonslayer instead.

Wow, Dragonslayer. Now I wish I’d seen that one, too. Is it out on DVD?

ratty, your rant will be fine and strong.

Clearly, the dragons fall into Chordata but whence from there? Feel free to tell me.

A theory my friend and I came up with:

They’re extraterrestrial. They arrived on earth with the dinosaur-killer asteroid 65 million years ago. That would account for some things. Not enough…but some.

Man, Dragonslayer. Mmm…

I’m reading all this and thinking:

One male…millions of females…DAMN, I wish I was a dragon.

Conversely, I am exceedingly grateful I am not a dragon. Just think how awful it would be if you were the only gay male dragon in existence.

The movie didn’t have nearly enough action, and it was badly written and conceived, but it was diverting. So far, this year’s crop of summer movies have ben disappointing. Eight Legged Freaks and Signs had better not suck!

Yeah, but the most action you’d get would be choking your dragon-chicken on some eggs.

Saw it last night, this sums up my thoughts exactly.

Go in knowing what you’re getting, suspend some belief, and you can enjoy it. If you are a diehard nitpicker, you will have a field day with this the movie and likely hate it.

Since I’m one of the few people that actually liked this film I’ll tackle this one.

It survived the war.

They also survived the war.

He couldn’t locate any or used them all up.

Either that or there were females hibernating in other locations.

Hiroshima isn’t a glass crater, at least one building was standing after the attack. Also, the male dragon lived below ground, maybe he burrowed far enough to avoid the attack, and maybe like cockroaches radiation doesn’t affect him.

Some species of insects have it the reverse and they do just fine.

Quin mentions that at first no one wanted to believe that the dragons existed at all; headlines reported unexplained fires not mythical flying beats. No one knew anything about these creatures and by the time they did they just lashed out in a last ditch effort to save themselves. The survivors had been living with dragons for 20 years, and in that time they learned a thing or two – like its pointless to kill females.

Van Zan told Quin that all dragons he had downed were females. This was news to Quin who went to investigate for himself.

Water prevented the two separate chemicals from mixing properly or it just put out the fires.

Apparently, after the male was killed, all the thousands (millions?) if remaining females starved to death in a very short period of time. Doesn’t this mean that Quinn was right and they should just wait them out? Apparently they would only have needed to wait a few more months.

If they live on ash, why would they be starving, there is no shortage of ash or things that can be turned into ash. A couple of open-pit Russian coal mines should provide food for decades.

The evolutionary model of these things does not make any sense. (But when do they ever in monster movies.)

Van Zant is a master of military strategy. “I know, here’s what we’ll do: Let’s line up all our vehicles and drive them into a dead end. Then, when I realize that that we are being set up, what we’ll do is ‘lock and load’ which apparently means standing in lines outside of our armored vehicles and trying to kill the dragon with small arms fire.”

It was mentioned that nobody flew because that was the domain of the dragons, but they really didn’t seem to mind that helicoper flying around. At the setup where Van Zan loses most of his people the male must have known the chopper was there but ignored it. Then hundreds of dragons just allowed the helicopter to fly right into London and land near the sole source of the species continuation.

The dragons were last active tens of thousands of years ago (they caused the last ice ages) but medieval Europeans cobbled together a pretty accurate description of dragons. Meanwhile the Chinese and Japenese completely messed it up with their description of dragons.

Last week, I thought I had seen the worst movie of the year when I saw Men in Black II. The people I saw that with actually liked MiB II. I saw Reign of Fire with the same people last night. Even they recognized the pure suckitude of this movie.

alright I give up, but before I go let me say at least one other person liked this film. link

I have returned from the theatre.

Ugh.

I would rather find blood in my stool than watch this movie again.

These dragons are apparently immune to the laws of physics; how are they possibly flying under their own power? They are too big and heavy to sustain flight, and their wings, full of holes, and woefully short in relation to their body size, would never have supported them. Their bone structure looks suspiciously modern-day reptilian. The wing attachments appear tenuous at best, looking very likely to be forcibly ripped from their bodies in a strong wind. Also, their skeletal structure is not compatible with flight; the wings appear to be attached to the back of the animal, as opposed to the stronger ‘shoulder’ muscles. Their breastbones are not keeled in the fashion of modern-day birds and bats, or even prehistoric flying ‘reptiles’ such as the pteranodon.

Their reproductive strategy is ludicrous, as is their diet. One male and thousands of females? No living chordate pursues this reproductive strategy; most social insects do not either, a ‘crop’ of males being bred every season. A lone male would not have the werewithal to impregnant thousands of females; while capable of producing enough sperm, he simply would not have the time to distribute it. He would have to spend almost all of his time copulating with his harem, an activity that, even if quick, would use up much of his energy, and take up time that he could use to gather food.

Which brings me to their diet: ash?!? Are you fucking serious? Nothing eats ash- it is the product of burning, and therefore has little to no nutrition. All vertebrates require certain basic nutrients that cannot be acquired in any fashion other than the consumption of organic material. Ash is not organic. It does not constitute ‘food’ by any definition.

Their supposed ‘hibernation’ is itself completely unfathomable. 65 million years of ‘suspended animation’ is not in accordance with anything we know about the physiology of higher lifeforms. It’s doubtful that bacteria would still be reproductively viable after this long, although this has recently been challenged in scientific journals. No vertebrate, or even invertebrate would be capable of this feat of endurance. Furthermore, the movie claims this hibernation came about due to starvation. (Not enough ash to go around, apparently.) If they entered hibernation in a weakened state, the stress of the experience would surely have killed them. The phsyiological stree of hibernation or even aestivation places extreme stress on an organism; lack of observable activity does not translate to no activity at all. The body’s processes must continue to function, including supplying nutrients and oxygen to the blood to maintain organ functioning; even at greatly decreased levels, the body must use stored reserves to accomplish this. Not enough stores = death.

I will not even get into the whole “fire-breathing” thing. Implausable, to say the least. (And don’t try the old bombradier beetle argument, either; it’s a completely different process, and does not result in actual flame.) Although I will grudging award the writers some points for the “two chemicals” hypothesis, which seems slightly more feasible, as it looks based on the luminescent abilities of fireflies. Although without an ignition source, there’d be no fire. But then, a merely glowing dragon, while aesthetically pleasing, would hardly be very threatening.

Ugh. What can I say? I feel my intelligence has been insulted by this movie’s attempt at a ‘scientific’ explanation for the dragons. It feels like the writers decided that since they could wow intellectually bereft audiences with relentless explosions and macho posturing, the stupefied viewers would eagerly swallow any hare-brained theories they could cook up. It’s like they weren’t even trying. Why must this basic ignorance of physiology continue unabated? Where are the even marginally plausible monster movies? I weep for the future of cinema.

And Christian Bale! I am appalled at his recent career choices. So promising in Empire of the Sun; it’s been an uninterrupted downward trajectory from there.

Dragonslayer isn’t available on DVD, but it is available on VHS through eBay and Amazon. Just after I posted my earlier post to this thread, I found a copy for $10 shipped.

Re: the “feeds on ash” remark-- I didn’t take it literally. I interpreted it as “it thrives on destroying everything”, because as others pointed out, feeding on ash is retarded on so many levels. If it’s figurative, the “they’re starving, and resorting to eating their own” bit still fits. The dragons weren’t shown eating ash, but they did eat flesh-- at least one guy was picked off, and the male was shown chomping on one of his females. (Besides, a non-carnivore dragon is lame.)

The 3D tracking thing still bugs me. Why did they only need it when they were trying to kill dragons, but not when they were flying to London? Dragons don’t attack you if you’re not looking to kill them? It’s not important to know if a dragon’s coming if you’re not planning on killing it just then? And the way it had to be set up-- by guys on motorcycles, and a helicopter. I don’t buy it. A species responsible for worldwide destruction, and it can’t consistently smack down a couple of motorcycles and a helicopter?

Like I said… :slight_smile:

So, let me get this straight: The sole redeeming virtue of this movie is that the dragons looked cool? Heck, even the D&D movie of a year and a half ago had that. As an added bonus, D&D had a much better explanation for the existance and properties of dragons: They’re magic. If you’re going to have dragons, you might as well just drop any pretense of science as we know it, and we’ll all get along much better.

I know I said I gave up, but someone just said “Dungeons & Dragons” was a better film…has the world gone mad?

Hey, I never said it didn’t make sense, I just said (well, implied) that it was way the hell to easy. Give me a dozen M1 Abrams with lawn sprinkler attachments and I could storm London myself.

And FWIW, I thought RoF was a heck of a lot better than D&D.

Hell, FWIW, I even liked the movie. It made precious little sense in SO many ways, but it was still a fun flick.

I always wonder about people when they complain about a movie like this. What are you expecting?

This is a movie about dragons. You knew this when you went into the theater. Dragons. This is completely in the realm of pure fantasy. All pretty acknowledgements of dealing with the real world are purely for show. Dragons! Big monsters! Out to kill everybody for no real good reason! Surely you must have known that. If you can’t leave your big analytical brain at home, why did you pay eight dollars to see the movie? (Plus snacks.)

Of course I’m underestimating the very human love of complaining.

I’ll be the first to admit the movie has plot holes you could fit the entire world through, but who cares? It’s a dumb action movie. And for that it succeeds admirably. The action scenes were gripping, the dragons looked cool. That’s it, that’s all. You should know if you’re the type of person who would like this movie before you spent your money.

But hey, if you want to go watch a movie for the sole enjoyment of picking out every flaw, knock yourself out. Judging by the precious commentary you find sprayed on the internet like the remnants of an incontinent cat, you’re certainly not alone.

To be entertained for the price of admission? :slight_smile:

Unfortunately for me, it didn’t. I found myself growing bored with it, and didn’t really care what happened by the final credits. The only reason we did stay through the whole thing was that we were hoping for some kind of slam-bang ending, as most movies of this type tend to deliver. This one had an anti-climax, IMHO. Drastic summed it up pretty well: Movies of this type that focus more on the monsters than the cast are generally more fun to watch; RoF didn’t. <shrug>

Honesty: You, m’friend, plotted out the movie we thought we were going to see. If we ever do hit a big lotto jackpot, how much $$$ y’gonna need to make this flick? :smiley:

I went in with low expectations. All I wanted to see was dragons vs. bazookas.

I expected an implausible plot with glaring holes in logic and wasn’t disappointed.

I expected inane and melodramatic dialogue and bad acting. I was actually surprised. No oscar winners, but the actors were semibelievable and there were actually some good lines. (“It’s worse than dragons. It’s Americans.”)

I expected the FX crew to have too much of a hard-on for CGI. Surprisingly, they didn’t. There were a few scenes that looked on a par with Clash of the Titans, but overall the FX were actually well done.

I expected a lot of action scenes. Got 'em.

I expected naked chicks. NONE!

diku:

I’d forgotten about that, but I didn’t think it was an egg. I thought it was one of the fire-glands, and that Quinn was going to turn it into some sort of weapon against the male.

Not that it matters, since that plot-thread didn’t go anywhere. Egg? Gland? So the fuck what?

I saw the movie last night at the Starlight Drive-In with spoke- and some non-Dopers. We had beer, cheese, doughnuts, and it didn’t rain on us. We would have enjoyed almost any movie under those conditions.