Relacore: Opinions?

Okay. I dunno what to make of this stuff. I’m ordinarily pretty dubious of foofy herbal concoctions that lay claim to numerous bodily health benefits – especially when the bulleted list of benefits have qualifying asterisks beside each one of them, which resolve on the back to say “*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease.” Okay, so … no FDA approval and they’re not to be used in lieu of proper medical diagnosis and treatment. Red flag on the former, Captain Obvious to the latter.

I didn’t buy these though; the mother-in-law did with the apparent intention of using them as stress relievers and weight loss aids – indeed, the bottle does claim the product is a “Stress Reducer/Mood Elevator* - Helps Prevent Stress-Related Abominal Fat*.” Stress-related abdominal fat? :dubious: Still, the MIL can’t take them because they apparently conflict with medication she is already taking for another problem.

Now, the majority of the contents of each capsule are just vitamins and minerals – vitamins C, B1, B2, B6, B12, plus magnesium, calcium, biotin(?) and Pantothenic Acid(??). The foofy bits, which constitute about 35% of the ingredients, allegedly include passion flower (herb) SE, magnolia (bark) SE, scuttelaria (root) SE, niacinamide, DHEA, panax ginseng, poria, jujube fruit, perilla frutescens, and phosphatidylserine.

Ginseng I know. Magnolia bark? Jujube? Phosphatidahellisdis? Funny, but I didn’t see a callout proclaiming “Contains 20% real Hippie!”

Anyone have experience with this stuff? It looks pretty harmless, but I remain patently skeptical about its claims. At worst it’s a multivitamin, though, so it can’t hurt to try 'em. I’m not on medication of any kind and have no problems that these would exacerbate, so I forsee no issues.

Should I appear on the news for going on a rampage assaulting a large number of people with my umbrella, though, please consider testifying on my behalf that The Carter-Reed company is to blame.

I have seen this commercial and I think it’s a bunch of bunk. I can’t believe it is legal for them to make those claims and dupe unsophisticated people into spending a bunch of money.

Sounds harmless enough though silly and ineffective for losing weight. (Biotin, pantothenic acid, and niacinamide are all B vitamins, by the way). Some of the unfamiliar herbal ingredients probably act as diuretics, which aid the illusion of weight loss.

What more opinion do you need?

A serious question, though: between the Relacore chick (simpering, dewy-eyed) and the Leptoprin chick (stocky, dead serious), who would win in a fight? And what would you do with the Jell-O afterwards?

As someone pointed out once, if stress caused you to get fat, wouldn’t the Holocaust victims released from concentration camps be obese? :dubious:

I have heard of a medical condition that is caused by an overproduction of cortisol, but there’s a whole bunch of other nasty stuff that goes along with that, not just being fat.

Move more, eat less.

Well, I’ve taken two of the three recommended daily dosages (2 capsules 3 times a day) so far and have felt no significant urge to eliminate any more often than I usually do, so if it is supposed to act as a diuretic it’s either a delayed reaction or pretty ineffective. I can’t say I feel significantly different, though I do perhaps feel a slight decrease in the urge to pimp-slap asshat customers. This may be due to the fact that it’s a slightly quieter day than previous days so there’s really no stress for these capsules to try and eliminate. Not that I’m a crackling ball of stress on the worst of days.

I have to question the vitamin content of these things though – they’re stupidly excessive. Each “serving” (two capsules) contains, for example, 555% of the recommended daily dosage of vitamin C – which means each daily dosage gives you 1,665% of your daily vitamin C requirement. Then there’s B6, for which each serving gives you 850% of the daily recommended dosage – 2,550% for a day’s pills, just to name two. All or most of these will just end up getting pissed out anyway, so why there are as many as 25 times the amount of a given vitamin as you need in a day is beyond me.

Yeah, I think it’s a truckload of holistic bunk too.