Religious ritual with doorway?

Maybe he was doing some kind of abbreviated pranama. Instead of touching his forehead to the ground, he touches the ground then his forehead? I dunno, because he has mobility difficulties, or he doesn’t want to do the full thing every time he comes in the room? Complete WAG.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pranma

Fixed link.

Jimmy’s older brother in Better Call Saul. Although I knew an EM-phobic type once who was almost as bad.

Okay, check off one totally completely inherently unnecessary adjective for me this year.

I was using my tablet where he could see me; I didn’t make it obvious I was looking something up. I guess that qualifies my modifier.

Almost certainly on the right track, and yes, he could well have been Hindi/Pakistani.

Hindi (Hindi-Urdu or Hindustani) is a language (like Kannada or Telugu), not a religion (like Hindu, Muslim, or Buddhist) or ethnic group.

Pakistani is a nationality, not a religion or ethnic group. Pakistanis can be of any religion (mostly Muslim but there are some non-Muslims). They can also be of any ethnic group (the largest groups are Panjabi, Sindhi, Balochi, and Pathan/Pakhtun).

The act of touching something or someone and then touching your forehead is a very common gesture of respect among Hindus (pronam).

I suspect that South Asian Buddhists, Jains, Parsis (Zoroastrian), and Sikhs might do it as well, but I would be very surprised to learn that Muslims do it.

Sorry, I knew I was sloppy in writing that.

I have to nitpick a bit here: Mizrachim are Jews originating from Muslim countries; Sephardim are Jews whose ancestors were from medieval Spain. The terms can overlap but are not identical. Jews from North Africa, Syria or Iraq are both Sephardim and Mizrachim; Jews from Iran or Yemen are Mizrachim but not Sephardim; Jews from Greece or Bulgaria are Sephardim but not Mizrachim.

Alessan,

1. Thank you.
  2. Your post was not a nitpick, but a wholesale correction.
    ETA: In Israel, are Ashkenazim typically as sloppy/non-knowledgable as I am/was?

I am - I lump everyone (non-Ashkanazi) under Sephardi, especially if I don’t know their family origin.

There are Asian Jews. I met some Chinese Jews, and no, not a family of converts. Some people from a Jewish community in China with a Deaf child, who had come to the US, because they thought their child would have better opportunities for education, and employment as an adult, here. It was pretty impressive, the parents willing to start over, because China apparently makes life fairly crappy for Deaf people.

I don’t know what the term is either. I know they kept kosher for Passover much more like the Sephardim, and pronounced Hebrew more like the Sephardim.

There are the Cochin Jews of India, probably the only people who didn’t experience anti-semitism. They have lived in India since King Solomon’s time. Cochin Jews - Wikipedia

nitpick:

[del]people[/del] Jews

:slight_smile:

I didn’t get the nitpick LeoBloom. Care to explain ?

I’m sure plenty of Gentiles haven’t experienced antisemitism. But most Jews have at some point in time.

I’d bet most Gentiles in the US have experienced it, from others around them, just not on the receiving end.

I get that somebody took offense. I’m not getting the rest of it. am77494 used the exact same terminology as the wiki article he/she cited.

I don’t see *any *difference between “Protestant Christian” and “Ashkenazi Jew”. The first term is identifying a sub-group of the second term.

The words aren’t quite parallel because “Ashkenazi” or “Cochin” are (mostly?) ethnic / regional origin terms whereas “Protestant” is a belief / sect term. Perhaps “African Christian” or “Irish Christian” is a closer match. Or in my personal case “North American-Caucasian Atheist”. None of which seem objectionable (to me) in the slightest.

The terms “Orthodox Jew”, “Persian Jew”, “Jews from India and China and non-Arab Africa”, “Jews originating from Muslim countries”, “Jews whose ancestors were from medieval Spain”, “Jews from North Africa, Syria or Iraq”, “Jews from Iran or Yemen”, “Jews from Greece or Bulgaria”, “Asian Jews”, and “Chinese Jews” have all been used in this thread without comment. But somehow “Cochin Jew” was immediately objectionable to some.
I recognize that offense is in the eye of the beholder and in some arenas even very small amounts of offense are commonly considered excessive. Would someone in the know care to outline the boundaries here? Some unschooled heathens sometimes don’t get it. Even well-intentioned unschooled heathens.

Having made a big (and now uneditable) post I now see I read **Leo **exactly backwards.

As Emily Littella used to say every Saturday “Never miiiind” :smack:

Oh, sure. Lots of Israelis are unclear on the matter, especially considering how much the issue has been muddled by politics. Israelis of every origin often use the terms “Mizrachi” and “Sephardi” interchangeably to mean something like “Jew of color”. I confess that I was kind of confused about the subject myself until my wife, whose grandparents are from Greece and Bulgaria, gave me a crash course.

Not a nitpick per se, but some have

Sephardic Jews of Iberian origin relocated in Bosnia, Greece, and Turkey, among other countries, but those in particular because they were Ottoman realms in 1492 when Ferdinand & Isabella kicked out the Jews, over in Turkey Sultan Bayezid was all “Hey, guys, we like Jews, come on over here!” In 1992, when everybody else was paying attention to the 500th anniversary of Columbus, I was running a library where all kinds of religious studies pamphlets came through, including one from the Jews of Istanbul celebrating the 500th anniversary of being invited in by the Ottomans, who valued their contributions to society; if not for that chance find, I don’t think I would have ever known of this.

I once read an anecdote of an old Jewish woman in Sarajevo who overheard a priest visiting from Spain; she thought he was a rabbi because the only people she’d ever heard speak Spanish were Jews.

I just came across this passage in a book called The Power of Meaning by Emily Esfahani Smith. It’s in the introduction where she talks about her childhood with her parents in a Sufi home in Montreal. (Bold added)

This sounds a little like the gesture described in the OP.