Remarkably ugly flags

There was a website a while ago that ranked all the flags of the world on how busy or colourful or whatever they were. Anyone remember where that was?

Commasense, I now count myself sufficiently chastised and suddenly repentant, as I have a natural fear of any sort of rehab. I have reconsidered and would also implore you not to rattle the Hon. Marty O’s cage as he and I already do not get along since a little incident last year at the Seven-11 in Towson. As the current family black sheep, I will seize this opportunity to begin mending my ways.

And my daddy thanks you in advance.

Dude, that was an awesome post and it made my morning. Things are tense at work lately and it was delightful to start the day with not only genuine laugh, but one well-written. I am printing your post and will give it to my dad. I’d like to email it straightaway, but he and my mom are dyed-in-the-wool Luddites so no computer at their house.

the New Jersety state flag is topped with a horse’s head, to remind you of the presence of the Mafia:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/kids/stateflag.asp

Oh, come on. Now you have to tell us the rest of the story!

• BiblioCat, who likes the Maryland state flag.

If you like the Maryland state flag, Here is the flag for Montgomery County Maryland, my home county and here is the flag for my home town, Rockville.

I have both of them on my wall as well as the Maryland flag.

Hey, I’m from Montgomery County (Gaithersburg HS Class of 1991). That county flag looks like one of the banners the English troops flew in Braveheart.

The blue and red quarters are similar to the heraldry of the Plantangenets.

(Wootton ‘88’ FYI)

Check out the Milwaukee city flag on that site. It’s basically an attempt to include any possible point of interest within 25 miles of Milwaukee all jammed on there. It’s actually a perfect symbol for the city.

Milwaukee should change it’s slogan to " We try too hard"

Another proud Marylander to join the semi hijack in defense of our state flag.

I remember when I was in the Navy and there was a display of all 50 state flags. Overwhelmingly, the majority of state flags are hum-drum, nondescript bed sheets with a run of the mill center piece on a drab blue background.

The one that sticks out and rises above the rest happens to be that of Maryland, My Maryland (state song sung to the tune of O’ Christmas Tree).

Take that suckers.

And while we’re at it: Go Terps!

Re: city flags… is it Birmingham Alabama, or Communist Canada? :slight_smile:

If it’s Birmingham, would they be called “Redniks?”

I hope you’re referring to Flags of the World Given Letter Grades, which I absolutely love. The Faulkland Islands gets a D- - “Worst UK colonial flag. Has a sheep on it. Actually, if you look closely, you can see that the sheep is riding on top of an island, which is riding on top of a ship. Also the stupid slogan is in English, and is a platitude.”

Sorry, that was a reply to Foldup Rabbit on the website that rates national flags.

I like the St. Petersburg, FL city flag.
The flag of my hometown of Worcester, MA is nasty. Looks like a bad drawing of someone’s heart.

I didn’t know Nashville had a flag until now. I wish I was still ignorant.

I sort of like the compass-rose motif and the edge stripes. It’s the Indian doing his “Poor Yorick” speech that bites.

The fleur-de-lis also merits a big :confused:

I think the Fleur de lis represents the early explorations of the area by the French. I think they founded Nashville.

The Washington DC flag is also based in heraldry, in this case the escution from the Washington family arms.

Another vote here for “the Maryland flag is a loud, garish clash of colors.” Black, yellow, red, and white, all in one small rectangle. Two of the flag’s four quadrants look like a checkered racing flag. Yeck.

When I was six years old, my family moved from MD to VA. Instantly liked the VA flag much better. Still do.

True, there are a lot of state flags with that same basic design - logo of some sort on a dark blue background - but simplicity works.