Remember Shakey's Pizza?

I hit the Shakey’s in Redlands, CA with some regularity during the summer for the all-you-can-stomach lunch buffet. Pizza’s not bad, and the rest of the offerings make up for the rest. Game room in the back…sort of a mini Chuckie Cheese vibe. Right next to the bowling alley, just as God intended! :smiley:

I know there are still a few of them around in some states, but it just isn’t the same. Maybe it’s just faulty memory on my part, but it seems to me the pizza was way better in the old days.

I was an Army brat. Actually, we moved to Ft Lewis from Germany just before I started first grade and when I was in third grade we moved to Tacoma. Shortly thereafter, my folks divorced, so we ended up staying in Tacoma. I moved elsewhere when I bought my first house, but we still live in the general area.

Remember the marshmallow with the candle stuck in it that they would put on your birthday pizza? I always got the Hawaiian Delight. It was my favorite.

It is called ‘Good Old Days Syndrome’.

I first encountered Shakeys 15 years ago in Annandale, VA. Right next door to a Horn & Horn Smorgasbord.

Well, here we have some info on the history of Shakey’s.

There we go. That 1980 takeover coincides with the exact time I remember them starting to suck (before they closed down all over).

The pizzas likely weren’t as good as I remember them, but I do remember a cracker-thin crust that was pretty good. Oh, and on birthdays, your pizza was brought to you with a marshmallow in the center, holding a birthday candle.

And the birthday kid got a styrofoam straw hat.

The other similar birthday spot for kids of my age was Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor. Again, big on the straw hats and 1920s kitch. And a huge sundae called The Pig Trough.

This was 1970s, Western Washington state.

Man, I’m old.

Noone sang the jingle!

I remember it. Vaguely, like a fever dream.

This is weird, because just this morning as I was driving to work the morning team on the radio was reminiscing about life in the 70’s, and they specifically mentioned Shakey’s Pizza. This thread is like deja vu all over again.

I used to go to Shakey’s Pizza in 80-81 in the Philippines, definately remember it as a big treat, but don’t remember what the pizza was actually like.

Remember them fondly. One of the few places I’ve actually “sang for my supper” (was in an enthusiastic, but unsuccessful band back then).

I ate at a Farrell’s in El Paso in 1975. My (Now ex)husband took me there. We were both military, and had been stationed apart for a while, this was our first meal after getting together. I’d noticed some Farrell’s ribbons on the dashboard of his car, didn’t know their significance.

I was starving so hubby encouraged me to “pig out” and get a Trough. I did, and enjoyed every gooey bite. 'Bout the time I put my spoon down a young man came up and asked if I was done, and I told him I was. He turned to another clerk and said “hit the noisemakers!” A recording of a brass band started playing, and all attention was focused on our table. The waiter announced to the whole restaurant that “This lady has made a pig of herself at Farrell’s!” and then he pinned one of those ribbons on me. Everyone clapped and cheered. I could have killed my (now ex) husband for not letting me in on what was going to happen.

Yeah, life’s weird that way. I mean, you could be thinking, “Plate” or “Shrimp” and then for no reason at all someone might just come up to you and say, “Plate of shrimp?” Weird, man.

Yes, I remember it. My husband took me there on my 20th birthday. I showed my proper ID, I had no intention of drinking. The place was full of kids. I was told if I wanted to come in I had to sit by myself and drink my soda from a bottle with a straw. When I asked why, I was told I was too young to go in(?). When I asked about all the kids, I was told they weren’t there to sneak beer. Needless to say, we got pizza elsewhere from then on.

We had a Farrell’s at the Tacoma Mall. I well remember the Pig Trough. We could also get Green Rivers and Sasparilla. But the best part was when you had to pay for your meal and/or ice cream. They had all kinds of candy for sale in big old fashioned candy jars. Very good marketing on their part…

Shakey’s … Horn & Horn … Farrell’s … I fondly remember all of these places from my Maryland-based youth. :slight_smile:

(I hadn’t thought of Farrell’s in forever … wow!)

One of my college roommates work at Shakey’s (this was in the '70s) and when he’d get stuck with closing the store by himself, he’d call 2 or 3 of us and we’d go over there, at about 3am, and help him clean up, and then we’d make pizzas and drink beer until 5 or 6 am, so I remember Shakey’s fondly. It was pretty good pizza then too.

BTW Taters, there’s still a Farrell’s in Eugene.

Ummm… that would be worked, Alex

Oh, yeah. I remember it from growing up in Colorado. Going there was always a big treat.

Somehow, if I could go back in time, I suspect my adult self would be less impressed.

There was one in LaCrosse Wisconsin in 2000 or so.
It closed, and The Secret Garden restaurant opened in its place (Asian psuedo buffet - one trip though, but load your plate as much as you want), then it was El Patio (mexican), now it is Panera Bread (which seems semi-stable)

Shakey’s awas a decent lunch spot. OK food, all you can eat, and since it was a buffet was a quick lunch- you could do a 1/2 hour lunch there.

Brian