Representative George Santos: Indictment and Prosecution (Expelled from Congress on Dec 1, 2023)

wire fraud in connection with soliciting campaign contributions and using the contributions for personal non campaign uses, which ties into, money laundering, in connection with moving the contributions around and into various accounts.

theft of public funds, claiming unemployment during pandemic when employed.

false statements to congress, falsifying financial disclosures on office paperwork.

investigations are on going as the campaign fund issues are not from this campaign cycle.

we may need to change the title to reflect his new title as defendant.

The speed of this indictment is really going to rile up the Garland is (incompetent/cowardly/Republican patsy) crowd.

Here is a detailed description of the charges:

Here is the full indictment:

https://www.justice.gov/d9/2023-05/santos.indictment.pdf

George Santos is a nobody and the charges are pretty run of the mill.

Trump is a former president of the United States, running for President, and the charges relate to actions taken in his time in office and afterwards.

Different time lines are understandable, to be really sure before seeking an indictment.

Or maybe break this into a new thread?

Does being a congressman shield him from any charges? I know he can still keep his job, but does it offer any legal advantages? Does he have to hire his own lawyer?

I think that’s a good idea. Let’s start a new one.

Here is an informative Wikipedia page:

Based on the number of congresscritters on the list, I believe the answer to your first question is “no”.

Glad to hear this.

No

Yes

He’s only being charged for two false statements? It’s like the DA isn’t even trying.

Probably the two lies charged are ones that have legal significance, not just the resume inflation.

I personally think he should be kicked in the downstairs for the dog-care scam, but that’s not really a legal proceeding.

Actually, I’d think the dog-care scam could be a state fraud case since he took money under false pretenses without providing the bargained-for services.

Any idea when trial may be?

Perhaps the most stunning thing about Santos is that when you talk about the dog scam, I have to say, “Be more specific.”

I think you mean the disabled-veteran’s-dog scam on GoFundMe. But maybe you mean the Amish-dog-breed-rescue charity event scam?

When you have two completely separate scams involving fake care for needy dogs, you’re a real piece of work.

it’s likely way too early to know that, at this point. Santos has his first hearing before a judge this afternoon; there’ll undoubtedly be a next court date set at that point, but it may be a while before we know anything about a trial date.

I’d forgotten about the Amish one. Make it one kick and paper cuts between five fingers.

Of course. But who is he thinking of and praying for?
Anyway: gift article from the NYT. With links to the indictment, reactions by some and some funny trivia.

Right. The NYT article to which @Pardel-Lux shared a gift link includes this, about those charges: