Representative George Santos: Indictment and Prosecution (Expelled from Congress on Dec 1, 2023)

This thread is for the purpose of discussing House of Representatives member George Santos, currently under indictment for various criminal acts relating to his election to Congress.

DOJ (Eastern District of NY) has charged Santos with federal violations. Not sure what they are yet, but IMHO, this is good news!

Tea leaf readers are thinking some sort of fraud. Surrendering tomorrow morning in New York.

What a ny day today!

So far just cable news announcements.

I can’t wait to see this indictment. :smiley:

Reporting on MSNBC about a Santos indictment, as well. They don’t seem to have any details yet.

We’ll know shortly.

Oh goodie! I can hardly wait.

It’s way past time for that slimy shit to suffer some consequences.

"Santos is expected to appear as soon as Wednesday at federal court in New York’s eastern district, where the charges have been filed under seal.

The exact nature of the charges couldn’t immediately be learned but the FBI and the Justice Department public integrity prosecutors in New York and Washington have been examining allegations of false statements in Santos’ campaign finance filings and other claims"
Rep. George Santos charged by Justice Department in federal probe | CNN Politics

As someone living with the shame of being “represented” by Santos, I’m doing the happy dance!

Of course McCarthy limply says he’ll “look at the charges.” :roll_eyes:

Ha ha, what the fuck is McCarthy going to do about it?

Thoughts and prayers.

Yep, whatever happens at least you gotta grant Santos he’s ballsy – something I’m not sure I can say about McCarthy.

Exactly what he has been doing and wants to keep doing – nothing. He doesn’t care if Santos gets convicted, he just wants to delay as long as possible any real pressure on Santos to resign. With a five vote majority (and a strong possibility the seat would flip D in a special election), his plan is to hem and haw and make noises about “letting the process play out” unless and until Santos’ continued presence becomes more of a liability than its worth.

per cnn:

13 counts, 7 wire fraud, 3 money laundering, thief of public funds, 2 false statements to congress.

very serious, maximum sentencing could be 20 + years.

If he shows up for work in a prison jumpsuit will that violate the dress code? :face_with_monocle:

Ooh whee. That George fella is in trouble.

I’m sure he’s insisting that his name is Melvin Sanders and the real George Santos has fled the country.

I’m hoping he takes the stand in his trial, waiting for this exchange:
BAILIFF: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
SANTOS: I do.
Courtroom erupts in laughter.

…just saw the headline and LOL’d in real time. :rofl: :joy:

Can “I will immediately resign my seat in Congress and never seek elected office again” be part of a plea deal? Is so, can it be enforced?