Republicans and Religion

I don’t deny that religion is a more-conservative notion. However, the OP seemed to be using nothing more than anti-conservative rhetoric. And whenever you generalize on such a large scale, you cease fighting Ignorance.

I’m not attempting to “shrug off” the OP’s assertion that “this religious promotion is a pervasively Republican phenomenon”… I’m shrugging off the OP’s assertion that all conservatives are heavily religious. If the OP didn’t want to get the message across, the OP should have worded his post more carefully.

No freaking thanks to the Republicans in the state legislature. A short while back, the city council of Lexington KY recent voted to add sexual orientation to the local anti-discriminatory ordnances, with significant support, I might add. Of course, this really stuck in some people’s craws, so the next meeting of the state leg, we get this wonderful rag of a bill rammed through that declares that discrimination policy can only be set on a state-wide basis, thus voiding Lexington’s ordnance, because, of course, sexual orientation is -not- in there on the state lawbooks.

Being a homosexual resident of Lexington, you could say this rather pissed me off. The Republican party is obviously building Conservative Christian dogma into its own platform, even at the expense of their own ideology, as examples like this prove. So much for all the talk of “advocates of local government”, hmm? :mad:

You are still wrong, SPOOFE. In two ways. First, though the OP was filled with boilerplate anti-conservative rhetoric, it did posit some accurate assertions.

Both of which are absolutely true. Though I have little sympathy for such vituperation as “they want to ram Jesus down our throats”, such rhetoric does not diminish the veracity of the claim.

Though simplistic, this is also quite true. As a professional political activist on the left, I have a great deal of exposure to the opinions of both man-on-the-street as well a the man-in-Washington. Charitable choice is overwhelmingly popular. Though my organization opposes it at every turn, I don’t think we have a Wiccan’s chance in Republican Hell to defeat it in the legislature. Kimstu’s quote from Marshall Breger drives the nail right into the board.

This is, of course, knee-jerk relativist tripe. You cease to fight ignorance when you generalize where there is insufficient factual data to support your claim.

All blacks are lazy and stupid is a generalization that cannot be borne out by data.

At night, the sky is dark all over the world. This generalization, on the other hand, can be made simply because it is testable. Those who believe otherwise are living a Pyrrhic nightmare.

The simple fact is, Republicans claim that over 22% of those who voted for Bush were Evangelical Christians. Furthermore, Republican policy has been dominated by the religious right, from the days of the Moral Majority and the Contract with America to a Lott/Armey/DeLay legislature. Do these men set the legislative agenda due only to the work of an extremely vocal minority whose views are antithetical to “mainstream” libertarian republicanism?

If that were actually the case, I would probably be a Republican.

MR

Kimstu,

I don’t know what you are defending here, I couldn’t tell, but your tone pretends it to be obvious. If you think it all makes sense regardless, well, you failed to convince me. So, just to summarize a main point, you hint or suggest that it is natural for Christians to want to attempt to control the government, fine. Now I then must ask, if they want such control and power, doesn’t their style of government then need to reflect their religious stance, such as providing the same service they are “enjoined” to do as Christians? It seems to be contradictory to get politically active and enforce certain Christian dogmas, but then say that poverty and education are individual concerns and priorities, not theirs as national leaders. Then what good are they to anyone as leaders if they have no integrity? I happen to think that poverty and ignorance are like diseases that need as much top-level coordination to eradicate as is possible to provide. So we disagree perhaps.

As I said in my orginal reply, there is philosophical common ground (what I call “poverty-elitism”) among a wannabe world financal aristocracy and ancient-minded feudal Christianity (the tenets of which derive from ancient priesthoods sponsored by kings and emperors, and whose legendary founder, Jesus, once importantly advised a young prince to impoverish himself, who then refused, the lesson implying the movement is only for the poor). It is obvious to me that elitism requires religions like Christianity to become a pacifying force among those who are dispossessed by elitism. The key here is lowering expectations, especially environmentally and socially. If huge masses of impoverished citizens can buy into the ludicrous idea of “taking no care for the morrow” then feudalism can thrive again. Keep in mind that Christianity has always had royal sponsorship to thrive. If Republicans represent elitism, then it follows that a common religious idea is necessary for them to pull it off, by the logic of supplying sentiments for everyone else to mull over as they are asked to suffer the economic waste of elitism.

Also, if I disparage Republicanism wholesale, excuse me, but I happen to live in one of their little theocratic proving grounds (Utah) where the education spending per-pupil is dead last and classrooms overflow with 35 kids per. I see predatory (mandatory) tithes competing with tax dollars, and religion is overtly used to get people not only to have alot of kids (to dilute the labor force?), but to also vote over 70% Republican everytime, despite being a relatively poor state (no surpise). Republicanism and religion work together here, in concert, to get a majority of people who otherwise have no economic interest in Republicanism to vote that way. That is no miracle, that is elitism controlling people’s opinions the old fashioned way (by threat of heavenly reward and punishment).

I think it is sinister to disguise Republicanism as a moral force, when it is anything but. I see much of the Christian parables the way any graduate literature student can see it, as a handbook of symbols that feature the coin-laden rich versus the working poor. I see Hellenistic freedom, justice, and equality replaced with submissive peace, artifical love, and supply-side charity. I see in Christians a desperate condition of needing to be told to be kind to strangers. Personally, I think they are victims of their own victimology, which is the dogma’s self-pity, self-righteousness, and self-love, which has served them poorly (no pun needed) and functions to atomize society. The religious propensity for faith in words places a high value on taking dogma at face value. The problem is that these words are passionate, full of symbolism, and hell-bent on rewards and punishments.

Am I the only one who sees a rather crude rehash of Nietzsche and Marx in the above post?

As a chess partner of mine, who is infinitely more talented than me, used to say, “get yer nose out of the opening book!”

Maeglin,

I think you’ll find plenty of crude Marxism in the New Testament, although it is popularly ignored. As for Nietzsche, if he is still credited with originating the phrase “slave-morality” regarding monotheism, then I might agree with those terms, although I figured it out independently.

:rolleyes: let’s see:

Kentucky House Members: 66 Democrats. 34 Republicans

Is there some law down there that Republican reps get two votes a piece or something?? (The Kentucky Senate is Republican controlled, but only by one vote.)

Hey, the Republican Party of the Commonwealth of Ketucky might be a little wacko. And I’m sure this legistlation passed despite complete Democratic opposition because of double voting that no one noticed at the time. Or maybe, just maybe, your whole state is nuts and this has nothing to do with Republicans.

Kimstu asked:

This is the problem: There honestly aren’t enough of us who are active to make a difference.

At least here in Colorado (and I suspect around the nation), there aren’t enough of the “libertarian” GOPers who are interested enough to vote in the primaries. And so Religious Right (RR) candidates are the ones selected to represent the party during the general elections, leading to their victory, because most Republicans will vote for a RR GOPer instead of a Democrat.

The RR candidates make it onto the tickets at all because members of the RR tend to very active at the precinct caucus level, leading to more delegates at the county, state and national conventions, where the platforms are decided upon. And so I would agree with SPOOFE that the platform of the party doesn’t represent all, or even most Republicans. But it does represent the ones who put in the time and effort on the local level. Moderate or Libertarian-leaning Republicans really have no one to blame but themselves for the way the party goes. Religion is a cause, and zealots tend to be devoted and active. The middle-of-the-roaders aren’t.

SPOOFE, when it comes to the official platform of the GOP, Maeglin and Kimstu are correct: It shows a party driven by religious fervor. Not all GOPers are like that, but you wouldn’t know it from the face our party presents.

Look Brian, I happen to agree with a number of things you say, such as the assertion (originally made in the OP) that it’s inconsistent for Republicans to declare they want to get government off people’s backs but make an exception for encouraging religion. I also think there’s a lot of truth in the claim that Republicans often use passionate conservative rhetoric on controversial social issues to distract their non-wealthy supporters’ attention from the fact that Republican policies hurt them economically (which I’ve described elsewhere as the “Reagan Runaround”).

But I think many of your allegations of hypocrisy and malignancy in “Republicanism” are much too broad and insufficiently supported, and it’s that aspect of the rhetoric I was hoping to tone down in the interest of presenting a united and coherent defense of some of the statements in the OP. If that doesn’t seem possible to you, fine, fine, truce, Pax, I can live with it, let us deal with our antagonists’ responses to our arguments separately. 'Scuse me now while I crawl off somewhere to bleed in peace. :slight_smile:

[Note added in preview: jmullaney, if you think that mounting widespread and concerted opposition to laws forbidding discrimination against homosexuals makes a state Republican Party “a little wacko”, then I’m afraid you’re not going to have much success dismissing this as a merely Kentuckian aberration. Most state Republican Parties fight against such antidiscrimination legislation. They do sometimes get some Democrats’ support in the process, but overall it is the Republicans who are beyond question spearheading the effort nationwide to keep antigay discrimination legal.]

Again, that’s not really true. As far as I know, there isn’t a state in the union where an employee can’t sue for wrongful termination or hiring discimination, based on any personal trait that isn’t work related. What Republicans have generally opposed nationwide is granting special rights to homosexuals because they feel the law should not impose reverse discrimination on non-homosexuals through quotas, etc. Democrats do like to submit such legistlation and then spin what it is really about to make Republicans look bad, but I doubt Democrats actually have gay and lesbian interests at heart when doing so, or they wouldn’t keep submiting bills they know are unconstitutional and which they know Republicans, dedicated to conserving the constitution, will oppose.

Anyway, if Mekhazzio has a bill number, I’d be interested in actual vote tallies by party for his example.

jmullaney: As far as I know, there isn’t a state in the union where an employee can’t sue for wrongful termination or hiring discimination, based on any personal trait that isn’t work related.

But if discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is not illegal, what good does that do? The employer can simply say, “Yup, I fired him/her for being gay, because gay people don’t have the character qualities that this job requires. That’s my right.” How is that addressing the problem of antigay discrimination in employment?

*What Republicans have generally opposed nationwide is granting special rights to homosexuals because they feel the law should not impose reverse discrimination on non-homosexuals through quotas, etc. […] they wouldn’t keep submiting bills they know are unconstitutional and which they know Republicans, dedicated to conserving the constitution, will oppose. *

Well, the courts have consistently supported the idea that laws banning antigay discrimination are not unconstitutional, right up to the Supreme Court’s overturning of Colorado’s attempt to void all such laws in Romer v. Evans. And do those “Constitution-preserving” Republicans also oppose laws banning discrimination on the grounds of race, sex, religion, and all the other things that current civil rights laws (which have also been consistently supported as constitutional) protect? Discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, or national origin is no more or less “special” than discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

And where do you get the idea that forbidding discrimination necessarily involves mandating “reverse discrimination” by means of quotas? Not even affirmative action laws mandate quotas—they are imposed on a case-by-case basis by courts on employers who have signally failed to comply with antidiscrimination legislation—and laws simply forbidding discrimination certainly do not mandate them.

Sheesh. Here I am losing blood and sweat over the effort to persuade folks like Brian that Republicans do not actually deserve all to be tarred with the same anti-civil-liberties brush, and here you are making his points for him.

But it isn’t his right. He can be sued and under the laws already on the books, he will loose. There’s no law protecting fat people either, but if you fire someone solely for being fat in a way that doesn’t affect his or her job performance, you can be sued, and you will lose. There simply doesn’t need to be a law on the books preventing discrimation against every personal trait in the universe. If Democrats wish to pander to their constituancies by insisting otherwise, that is their right.

I agree. But laws which grant gays special rights are unconstitutional.

That certaintly isn’t a part of their platform. Are you claiming Republicans voted against such laws?

I’m simply saying these are the kinds of laws that Republicans do oppose as a matter of principle. They don’t believe discrimination, reverse or otherwise, should be codified into law.

I’m trying to do the same thing. Of cource their are elements to the Republican platforms that could be construed as anti-civil-liberties, but such constructions do not withstand even modest scrutiny.

jmullaney: There simply doesn’t need to be a law on the books preventing discrim[in]ation against every personal trait in the universe.

Okay. Why do there need to be laws on the books preventing discrimination on the grounds of race, sex, religious belief, etc., but no laws are needed to prevent discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation?

*“the courts have consistently supported the idea that laws banning antigay discrimination are not unconstitutional”

I agree. But laws which grant gays special rights are unconstitutional. *

But I am not talking about laws which grant gays “special rights”—I have never seen such a law and don’t know what it would look like. I am talking about laws that simply ban discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, and Republicans nationwide seem to be largely opposed to such laws.

*“do those “Constitution-preserving” Republicans also oppose laws banning discrimination on the grounds of race, sex, religion, and all the other things that current civil rights laws (which have also been consistently supported as constitutional) protect?”

That certaintly isn’t a part of their platform. Are you claiming Republicans voted against such laws? *

Well, it’s true that many did when they were introduced, but that was several decades ago and that’s not what we’re talking about now. If Republicans do not now oppose as unconstitutional laws banning discrimination on the grounds of race, sex, national origin, religion, etc., then why do they oppose laws banning discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation?

“Special rights”. Well, you decide if there’s anything special about this:

the Lexington ordinance

The '00 House Bill 485: http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/record/00rs/HB485.htm

The '01 House Bill 190: http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/record/01rs/HB190.htm

Apparently I’ve been the victim of scare-tactic journalism. It seems HB485 was tabled in Judiciary committee, and not passed as I had heard. It looks like the same fate will befall HB190 this year. Of course, the same thing also happened to HB7 (00) and will probably happen to HB116 (01), which are state versions of Lexington’s ordinance, so I guess status quo is the rule of the day.

I still maintain that HB485 is a Republican concoction, as a look at the bill’s sponsors show: 1 conservative Democrat (who’s done this sort of thing before) and 9 Republicans.

Now, to go deal with this egg on my muzzle…my apologies for making uninformed statements.

I still don’t think the solution to all the world’s problems in yet another law.

You keep saying that, yet I remain unconvinced. Repeating something over and over again doesn’t make it true.

No. Actually, Republican fought for such laws for decades until LBJ convinced his fellow Democrats to hop on board the bandwagon. Now, at some later point a number of southern KKK-card holding Democrats (a.k.a. Dixiecrats) like Trent Lott and David Duke jumped ship and became Republicans (having claimed to have repented of their evil ways on all counts) which does sort of confuse things – and of course, just like so many other times, the Democrats are more than glad to take credit after the fact.

I don’t think they do, certain backwater states not-withstanding of course. If there’s something in the national platform you’d care to point out, by all means do so.

Mekhazzio – the Lexington ordinance looks fine to me. Keep up the good fight. If you can find any Republicans down there who isn’t nuts, vote for them – it looks like they need all the help they can get.

jmullaney: *“Why do there need to be laws on the books preventing discrimination on the grounds of race, sex, religious belief, etc., but no laws are needed to prevent discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation?”

I still don’t think the solution to all the world’s problems in yet another law.*

Evasion of my question. I did not ask whether we should attempt to solve all the world’s problems by “yet another law.” I asked, and I hope this time you will answer, "Why do there need to be laws on the books preventing discrimination on the grounds of race, sex, religious belief, etc., but no laws are needed to prevent discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation?"

*“why do they [Republicans] oppose laws banning discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation?”

I don’t think they do, certain backwater states not-withstanding of course.*

Then why did Republicans in Congress in 1996 vote down the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which would have banned just such discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation? There was some Republican support for ENDA, but most were opposed to it.

*“Well, it’s true that many [Republicans] did [vote against civil rights laws] when they were introduced, but that was several decades ago and that’s not what we’re talking about now.”

No.*

'Scuse me, yes. It’s true that many Democrats also voted against them—in fact, more Congressional Democrats than Republicans opposed the 1964 Civil Rights Act—but that doesn’t mean that there wasn’t some strong Republican opposition to civil rights legislation. See this article for a good historical overview. If you want to argue against a statement different from the one I made, fine, but please do not present it as a refutation of what I actually said.

If you replaced the word Republicans with the word Democrats, that sentence would make sense. Obviously, the OP is confused about the doctrines of liberals and conservatives. There is no hypocrisy of the Republicans, they are following their platform.

Well, the most obvious answer is, in general you can tell whether someone is a man or a woman, orthodox jew or hindu, black or hispanic or white. You can’t look at someone and know they are gay. So how exactly are gays being discriminated against? Doesn’t the average homosexual make twice what the average heterosexual does? What’s exactly are they bitching about? Homosexuality is a behavior and is already inherently protected under existing law. Wrongful termination suits dealing with sexual orientation account for less than one percent of all wrongful termination suits. But if you are discriminated against you can sue – just like any body else. See? Not special. No need for special laws.

So my question back to you is: why don’t homosexuals want to be treated just like everybody else?

At the time, I heard it would have resulted in quotas. It would have resulted in companies with government business having to keep track of which of their employees were gay or lesbian and which weren’t. It would have resulted in businesses owned by homosexuals to get special treatment towards getting government contracts.

And hey, that’s a nice idea. If I’m competing for a contract with a fellow hetero, what is to keep him from “coming out of the closet” to get the contract ahead of me, then deciding 24 hours later it was just an experimental phase he was going through?

Don’t tell me it wouldn’t happen. I’ve heard of a blond haired blue eyed gentlemen fresh-off-the-boat from Spain claim to be Hispanic – which he is, technically, but he’s still abusing the intention of a law meant to help people with a history of oppression.

I don’t like the idea of ammending existing “affirmative action” laws to help a sector of the population which is already doing just fine. Were their ancestors picking cotton? Maybe. But, in fact, their ancestors were heterosexuals. There’s really not a history of oppression which requires government intervention.

I’ll concede that there is a strain of anti-homosexuality in the Republican party. But, I would not consider voting against ENDA a sign that tells me someone is anti-gay. Plenty of log-cabin Republicans who’d agree with me.

There, I can plonk people (like someone in this thread) who are just trolling for reactions and never have to read their tripe.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that while the GOP does have faith written out as a part of their platform, one only need listen to the words that the Democrat Vice Presidental candidate of the last election muttered to show that there ain’t much of a difference in this respect between the parties…

Yer pal,
Satan

*TIME ELAPSED SINCE I QUIT SMOKING:
Ten months, two days, 20 hours, 36 minutes and 34 seconds.
12354 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,544.50.
Extra life saved: 6 weeks, 21 hours, 30 minutes.

See my Sig File FAQ: http://pages.prodigy.net/briank.o/SigFAQ.htm

Perhaps you can explain Republican resistance to gun control then.

:wally: