Request to all international soccer fans: STOP THAT FUCKING BUZZING!

BUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZ Socrates is moving upfield, blocked by Hegel…BUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZ…GOAAALLL!..BUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZ…

This is probably one of the craziest threads I’ve read on SDMB.

Complaining about the vuvuzela on the internet is just about as obnoxious as the sound of the thing you’re complaining about. Ponder that. If you prefer other sports, why complain about the World Cup? NBA Finals and interleague play in baseball continue tomorrow.

Soccer sucks. It is like watching ants chasing a speck of white dust. I’d rather watch golf, and I hate golf, too. That annoying buzz ensures I will not give soccer a chance.

You know who else, apart from American men, doesn’t like football as a rule? British women. It seems the two groups have a lot in common.

:slight_smile: I didn’t take the trouble to watch the video before. I was sure it was a chess championship. Nice pants!

(A joke at our snob friend’s expense. I don’t understand that sport but I respect the people who like it, even if it is basically rugby for wimps).

But some people want to watch the World Cup, and that sound is really annoying.

I’m not much of a soccer fan, but was planning to watch a few games this time around. I can see getting tired of that buzz and giving up, though. It would bother me no matter what the sport was.

I want one!

Primitives and fags, really? Those are things you can say because you don’t like a fucking sport?

Jesus. Fuck Americans. And I am one.
(An American, I mean, but good one).

Millions? :dubious:

That’s rather… optimistic. :wink:

Er, what now?

I want one! :smiley:

Um, not originally posted by Jimmy - please see above

I don’t LIKE the buzzing sound (I loved the chanting and singing other countries had) but I also respect it. It’s South African culture, and they have generously agreed to host the cup. As long as the games are on their turf, I can take it.

If this spreads to other countries, though…

ZING!

“South African culture”? As I said, if Wikipedia is to be believed, it only dates to the 1990s, so it’s not like it’s something that they’ve been doing for generations.

That bit where they wave those rubber thingies around behind the goal (hoop?) … I find that annoying, but I supposed I’d get used to it if I was really into the game.

Doesn’t make it any less a part of their culture.

Everything has to start somewhere. Imagine if the British stopped tea time the first afternoon they had it! Cartoons would be dull.

The main common bond here, of course, is that both groups are a lot more masculine than British men.

To tell you the truth… that was my feeling too :o

Maybe ebay can satisfy me…

Ah, are those what inspired those long plastic New Year’s Eve horns? Only they’re not really buzzing sounds.

I didn’t know one’s sexual orientation could change just at the push of a button. :rolleyes:
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going out tonight – I plan to go to a bar and order a glass of milk.