RESOLVED: Using the term "democrat party" should be a bannable offense

Well, then, as i asked before:What is your point?

hmmm. Discobot says I can’t allow my earlier post to speak for itself on its own.

I meant those who have posted in this thread(and others on this subject), but I appreciate what you did in this case.

???

The post I quoted was made in this thread.

Clarification, Part 2: I meant those that claimed current ignorance in this thread, not those that, sometime in the past, corrected the error. Are there people in this thread that have claimed to be currently ignorant of what the fuss is all about and, when informed of what the fuss is all about, said that they will in the future avoid the term “democrat party”?

Elendil_s_HeirSDSAB

The person who uses the phrase “Democrat Party” (capitalized or not) at once reveals himself to be an idiot. That’s punishment enough.

I dunno. There’s something about “truth being an absolute defense” that kinda resonates with me…

I am on board with disrespectful names, by the way. For example: Donald Trump, who wouldn’t know respect if it paid off his mistress, in his current job called certain federal judges “so-called judges”. He is, as a result, the so-called president until he goes away.

I suspect the reason it initially caught on was due to a reluctance to allocate the quality of “democratic” - a widely shared and admired value - to the Democratic party.

Of course, once it became apparent that it annoyed people, some people would do it for that reason too.

I am a Democrat, which makes me a member of the Democratic party. As someone else has said, use of the term “Democrat party” is a good asshole alarm. But it goes deeper than that. They do it knowing that either you’ll let it go, in which case you look weak. Or you correct it, in which case you look petty. I’ll look petty, thank you.

I’ve also constructed a “Democrat Party” for amusements sake. They want to take your guns and give them to gay Muslims. You put up the “fun-house mirror” and I’ll point out how ridiculous the reflection looks.

The Latin phrase (and legal term), “Res ipsa louquitur” may have relevance here. The Latin translates to, “The thing speaks for itself.”

It really is a pretty powerful argument :wink:

Great explanation, and I agree.

Oh well. Democrat party is far far less offensive than the language directed at folks to the right of lenin.

Then start a thread about it.

And calling Republicans Magats which is obviously homonymic with fly larva is not meant to annoy or offend? Hmmm. I am not sure we are supposed to be isolated from offense while reading and if we are I’m not sure if only part of the audience is supposed I have that privilege.

That should also be against the rules outside the Pit.

So as long as the term is coming from prominent national level Republicans, I have little sympathy for Republicans in general who don’t like that messege boarders hurl invective.

Of course it is meant to annoy and offend, if said directly to a Trump supporter.* No one in this thread has claimed differently, so what is your point? If this thread were full of people claiming we can’t allow “democrat party” but we should allow “Magat,” that would be hypocritical. But that’s not what everyone is saying.

*(It could also just be to let off steam in the company of people who are already known to be in agreement, which is probably the case with most SDMB posts).

Getting worked up over something so arbitrary reminds of all the hullabaloo over “Wuhan virus” when the social justice warriors suddenly decided it was “racist”

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/03/12/media_called_coronavirus_wuhan_or_chinese_coronavirus_dozens_of_times.html

In all honesty, before I read this thread, if I saw someone refer to the “Democrat Party” I would have just assumed they were to sloppy or lazy to write out “Democratic”. I didn’t realize some people do it deliberately for political reasons.

I think one of the questions we (we being anyone that would identify as a democrat) need to ask ourselves is, regardless of the intention of the speaker, are we actually offended by it? I’m not. If you’re not who cares.

As an example, Shodan has explicitly stated that if he leaves out his typical ‘regards, shodan’ signature, it’s akin to saying ‘fuck you’ (or something like that, he mentioned it a long time ago). If his lack of that sign off doesn’t bother you, should it really be modded? Not only does it seem pointless, it also tells the speaker about some minor thing they can offend you with. It’s like handing them a dog whistle.