"Retro" and the millennium

My brother and I were talking about the “retro” movement, and we noticed that there were smaller retro movements in the past, usually coinciding with the ends of decades. Now we’re coming to the end of the 1900s and there is a huge retro movement. And unlike the other ones, this one is taking in influences covering everything from the 20s to the 80s.

We both decided that after 2000 hits, we’ll stop seeing all these movies based on old TV shows, and music will start being more “progressive” and “experimental”.

What does the TM think?

Carpe hoc!

Gosh, I sure hope not!

Adult entertainment for the Lounge Culture!
http://www.retroraunch.com

I am #1. Everyone else is #2 or lower.

I’m never clicking on one of her urls agian.

I’ll second that!

An optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity; A pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity.

It’s not that bad… I didn’t pay to get ALL THE WAY in or anything, but I’d have to say it’s way more appealing than the crap I sold when I worked for the Bachelor’s Library…

Poisonally, I’m extremely happy about the retro thing because all the different styles I love are accessible now. Having been a very much younger me going to high school in the days of Guess and Eastland was terribly frustrating.

This is cool, though, because I’m all grown up and stuff and I have the cash to go out and buy the kind of clothes I adore… from the 20’s to the 80’s. :slight_smile:

I highly recommend www.popula.com for those interested in vintage clothes, etc. It’s an auction site, not nearly as large as eBay, and the regular sellers there always have a cool assortment of stuff.

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

Gee, guys, can’t you read? What did you think you were going to find?

And Geez…my stuff is way classy compared to the rest. Folks tell us so all the time… in print, no less!

But read next time…it does say “adult entertainment” and it does say “RAUNCH”.

stoid

I am #1. Everyone else is #2 or lower.

Well, I stood warned and didn’t click, so I have no idea what y’all are talking about.

But I can talk about past retro movements, and good for you, Mr. Knowitall, for indeed knowing there were ones in the past! When I was a tot in the '70s, there was a huge '40s and '50s revival.

The whole Empire look of the early 1800s was actually a revival of the classical Greek look, and the Empire look of the 1910s was a revival of that. In the 1870s there was a pre-Revolutionary France revival, with women wearing faux Marie Antoinette dresses. The “New Look” of the late '40s and early '50s was a revival of the late 19th century clothes, and in the early '30s there was a lot of nostalgia for the 1890s (see all those movies!).

We always think the clothes and attitudes of the past are quaint–what I want to know is, why the 1970s now–I remember it as being the most squalid and hideous time of the century!

There is a point here, though…

Have you noticed that the period for which there is nostalgia is getting closer to the present? When I was a kid, it was 40-50 years ago…now it’s about 10, and closing. I figure about 2020 we’ll be nostalgic for “I remember, just this morning…”

“Gosh, remember those wacky clothes we wore last Thursday?”

“Yeah, and those great groups they had, oh, two weeks ago?”