I’ve mentioned that I’ve become a partner in a videography studio, and that we’re planning to return to L.A. in November. Looks like there’s a little delay.
Pard Jerry wants to make a film before we leave the PNW. It’s a good story, and we can make it fairly inexpensively since we already have the equipment. IF all goes well, we will have to delay our departure by a couple of months. We’re probably going to self-finance the project. Business has been pretty good lately, and I think we can avoid the hassles of dealing with investors; though there’s the possibility of getting ‘family’ involved. (One guy owns some buildings and a couple of video franchises in Spokane, so he has some money to spare.) Jerry will direct (he’s also writing the script with another guy, with a little bit of input from me), the other writer will star, and I’ll be the Director of Photography. We have a decent gaffer who will probably work for screen credit and a copy of the film. Jerry’s actress sister can co-star. His mom can make the food.
My short 16mm film Somebody is on hold. It really will ‘work’ better in L.A., since it was written for L.A. locations.
I know how difficult it is to make money making movies. I’d really like to relocate to L.A. and put feature-filmmaking on hold until we’re well-established; but we have to strike while the iron is hot, and we should be able to shoot the project in 20 days. (Post production will take a lot longer, of course.) The story, as I said, is a good one. Jerry has a couple of connections that might help us distribute the film. Oh, man… If we can pull this off…