Reverend Mykeru banned. SDMB Pit vultures rejoice.

I don’t think he was worth banning.

On other boards, the tack they usually take is to ignore trolls and they go away.

It really works.

And it gives me a warm feeling inside when it happens that way.

He frothed at the mouth? In the pit?

Imagine that.

That never happens.

Ever.

I’m on-board with the “got your asses handed to you” side of things - it was very enjoyable reading. Rev Mykeru does have a knack for this Pit dialogue concept.

Ya can’t please them all, I guess.

Don’t worry, pal, the Inconsistent Moderator Panel has already reached a consensus regarding the punishment for Reprehensible Dismissive Attitude and Mocking Ogre!

Coldfire will be required to wear the Bad Moderator Beanie and sit on the uncomfortable high stool for the next three hours, while we all point at him and snicker.

Hmmm. Where is this taking place? I see no evidence of anyone rejoicing.

Oh, so motivation is the benchmark, not actions? How’s that work agan? Let me repeat. He posted unpopular opinions. He got flamed. Returned flames in kind. He got banned.

What’s fair about that?

Even now, jdt haunts the board.

…and it’s a good thing he didn’t do this YESTERDAY, because THEN the Inconsistent Moderator Panel decided to set a Reprehensible Dismissive Attitude guy on fire.

Sorry, I don’t see the relevant posts on your website. Maybe I missed a link or something. Little help? Regardless, if they weren’t SDMB posts, how the hell was anyone to know that support was being shown, other than those visiting your site?

And I’m pretty sure he wan’t “banned for defending himself”. His attempts at defense were fine. The fact that he continually misrepresented other people’s posts, points of view, and arguments was the major point of contention. Going back to the original threads and rereading them without pigeonholing everyone into 1 of only 2 categories would have done him a world of good. So would have diversifying and actually contributing in a non-seething way.

Is that at all possible? Sure it is. Look at grimredspectreofreddeath’s trainwreck of a start here. He spent the first 75 of his posts in the Pit, was warned that’s not a good way to start out, branched out, and people accepted him as a contributing member who got on people’s nerves. RM will remain a highly intelligent person who got off on the wrong foot and forgot that his other foot wasn’t amputated after that incident in the Andes.

1. He posted only unpopular opinions
  2. He posted only in the pit
  3. He was a troll

Point number 3 played a big part in his downfall.

(I can call him a troll becasue Lynn did before me!)

I’m wondering, since Ogre seems so knowledgable, who exactly is in the “SDMB Flame War Society,” and exactly how they were able to influence the adminstration here to bump the Rev off.

What a riot. There are so many inaccuarate statements, revisionist history attempts and references to personal websites in your posts in this thread that I can see why you identified with our dearly departed troll.

Newsflash. He wasn’t all that clever, his insults were trite (ooooooh grammar insults, how cutting). The only thing being handed out in that thread was his Banning.

He got what he wanted out of the SDMB- attention and a Banning.

But then- I must be a Pit Vulture then. :rolleyes:

And more importantly-- do we get T-Shirts or coffee mugs?

I may have had the most interaction with him, such as it was. Seems to me that his intention was solely to be a martyr and he finally got his wish. As porcupine pointed out, he had several people, including myself at times, who gave him helpful advice. All he had to do was pay attention but the evidence is that all attempts at advice either went ignored or were flamed. Flaming those who are trying to help is never a good idea.

Well, if it were Ace of Swords you’d have to have been quick about it, because he’s up and running at the first hint of smoke.

Oh, good. Then is there a punishment for Ineptly Applied Sarcasm in Response to a Valid Concern?

If so, you’d best go wrestle Coldfire for the dunce cap.

Did have. Past tense.

Ogre, look at it this way. You’re at a party at a friend’s house. People you’ve known for years are there, and they’re all drinking and cussing like sailors.

A new guy shows up. He starts drinking and cussing like a sailor. Your friend (the owner of the house) tells the new guy to slow down a bit, take it easy. The new guy drinks harder and cusses louder. Several of your friends try to pull him aside and get him to calm down, maybe go watch TV a bit. He drinks harder and cusses even louder.

Eventually the owner of the house gets fed up, and tosses the new guy out.

Was the new guy doing anything that the regulars weren’t doing? No. But the “everybody else is doing it, too” excuse didn’t wash with my parents when I was ten, and it doesn’t wash now.

Reverend Mykeru was asked, several times, to slow down and take a breath. He never did so. If a moderator ever tells me to chill out, you better believe I’m gonna chill – if I expect to continue posting here.

Ogre: This is not a pile on. Ukelele Ike didn’t mean anything by that comment - it was just a joke. Chill out.

This just bugs the piss out of me. Could he insult people well? Sure, I guess. But could he make an assertion, back it up, and respond to counter-points? If his actions here are any indication, not in the slightest. Could he become involved in a discussion without insulting anyone who disagreed with him? Not in the least. Could he show one iota of intellectual honesty without rewriting history about what happened in other threads? Not for the life of him. My problem with him was that he was so damned insistent on repeatedly insulting people rather than deal with what they were saying. He consistently made poor arguments and mind-boggling conclusions. I am sorry he was banned because it was what he wanted, and because, if he actually tried to become involved in a debate, his ignorance would show. Perhaps you would care to outline how exactly he handed me my ass, rather than him acting like one.

His skill, if you wish to call it that, was at flinging shit at people. However, there are plenty of monkeys who are really good at that too, and that doesn’t mean they are handing anyone their asses.

I watched the spectacle from afar without getting into it.

1. He began his posting career in the pit, in a mod-bashing thread, instantly taking the stance of defensive newbie, when nobody had even known who the hell he was. He became infamous real fast, though.

2. During most of the ‘ban me’ thread, and many of his other posts, he consistently maintained that Dopers were nothing more than a pack of jackals waiting to pounce on newbies. Never mind the fact that damn near all of his posts were in the Pit, where there are no kiddie gloves.

3. Mykeru struck me as a reasonably intelligent person, both from his typing and the content of his posts where they weren’t flaming. It therefore strikes me as suspicious that A) he claimed that Dopers did nothing but flame, when the Pit is only one of several forums, and B) he insisted that because he participated in all of two threads outside the Pit, people had no business telling him he came here only to flame. Both of these strike me as disingenuous, especially coming from a reasonably intelligent person such as he was presenting himself.

Put all of it together, and I don’t think he would have stopped flaming the SDMB if ever single person who had said anything remotely bad to him suddenly stopped, apologized, and started a Reverend Mykeru Appreciation thread in MPSIMS. He probably would never have noticed it anyway.

I could rejoice a little, if you think it would help.