Revolution in America - could this actually happen?

psikeyhackr, accounting will not help if you got no job, rent is too high and government tells you to pay for “health insurance” or else.

I believe they want their country back.

No, the benefits of a new government have to be more than the current, and the pains of revolution have to be less than the pains of not having a revolution. As it stands none of that is in effect. Most people won’t think an authoritarian right or left wing government is better than the current system, and the pain caused by large scale war would be far worse than the pain of living in a gov that you are ideologically and economically opposed to.

The worst that’ll happen is more political polarization, but nothing seriously violent.

Considering the military is made up of a large percentage of those browns and blacks, I doubt there would be any white massacring.

Personally, I just don’t see it happening, at least not an uprising of the people against the government. Because the people, whoever they might be comprised of, will have to agree on things. And we can’t seem to agree on anything.

Also, as someone said upthread, for the majority, things really aren’t that bad. They might not be as great as they once were, or as great as you’d like them, but not bad enough to take to arms.

If the government has done anything over the last 230+ years, it’s made “the people” accepting of their lot in life. The lowest class is still by and large clothed, fed, and housed. If they aren’t motivated to join together and take up arms (and against who, exactly? The state? The federal govt.?), inertia will continue to keep the country from facing a revolution.

I think a coup d’etat is possible, but only at the highest levels of government and the military. The population at large would not be involved, and the new government would do everything in its power to keep the machinery humming along.

You know a way of not dying regardless? :dubious:

Dump TV and substitute cable internet. THAT’S the new Quadruphate of Happiness.

:confused: Why?

There is a revolution in America every 2 years, it is called an election. There is no need for an armed revolution, it would be redundant.

The fact of the matter, is that the people of America have exactly the government they want, and that they deserve.

Sure it could happen, when a majority of us are starving, homeless and desperate. We are far, far from that ever happening in the US. The revolutions we see these days include people who have little of no voice in their government, other than through violence, and little hope of change. If worst comes to worst and we hate the current system so much we want it overthrown we can at least elect Donald Trump and Sarah Palin to office in one last, desperate attempt at change. It’s so crazy it just might work - if not, then we call a revolution.

American is highly resistant to revolution. The cultural propaganda goes deep, people are still fairly comfortable as long as they have a TV, the systems of physical force would smash anything easily, and even if things got really bad: obese people don’t throw revolutions. They’re not good at lugging 50 pounds of equipment through the woods at night, or other such activities.

http://www.thehiddenevil.com/plot.asp Smedley Butler was courted by the wealthy in 1934 to overthrow Roosevelt and install a dictatorship of the rich. They found another way to do it in 2000.

I actually agree. But seriously, anyone who blows up something is either

1. Nuts
  2. A hero

If blowing something up is done to prove a point, well, then you’re nuts. But if blowing something up is intended to advance your rights, then who knows? Maybe you’re a violent hero.

Unless you are a Palestinian. Then you’re just a wiener. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not much of a revolution, I should say, since it was overturned 8 years later/ :rolleyes: Plus its simply a repeat of 1824, 1876, and 1888.

:rolleyes:

For a revolution to succeed you’d need a committed plurality of the citizenry to support the revolution. If a committed plurality of the citizenry is upset enough to revolt, why would the revolt when they could simply vote in the government they want?

Everyone who complains that Americans are too happy and comfortable to revolte, well, that’s exactly the fucking point. Why would people who are happy and comfortable revolt? They’ll revolt when they’re unhappy and uncomfortable and can’t see any way to fix their problems except through violence.

because the bulk of the government bureaucracy on all levels is not elected. If your elected officials cannot stop the unelected officials from doing bad things (even if they were to desire to do so), elections are going to change nothing.

History already knows one case where a revolution occurred due to a whole bunch of elected officials’ being unable to get their way out of an unelected government apparatus and then rallying civilians to revolt on their behalf. It was called “French Revolution” of 1789.

Pat Buchanan claims that the unelected government apparatus back then was not inclined to crush the disturbance with an iron first because “the king of France does not use artillery on his own people” - I don’t know where he got the quote, but at least it does correspond to what actually happened.

President of America has no trouble doing this Waco siege - Wikipedia to “his people” even in the halcyon, peaceful year of 1993 in a place that nobody even heard of previously. What do you think he would do to political rebels on the streets of DC?

The rich people in back of it were serious. Butler let it out. Of course no legal troubles for the millionaires who started it.

I was talking about the election of 2000. And the seriousness of the Business Plot is disputed by many contempoary historians.

The elections are BS. They are engineered to make it seem as though you have a choice (don’t get me wrong, you DO have a choice), the corporations who run the country through “campaign contributions”,use their money to sway your opinion towards the candidate they are sponsoring in such a manner that you WILL elect the candidate you are TOLD to elect.

From what I read here, all I know is I wonder if Fred Phelps is related to these guys, They seem so alike in ideologies, that I would not be surprised if Phelps decided to take his family to some mountain, because God told him that if he went there, he would be safe.

In our “information age”, however, it is much easier for people to find information that is separate from “sponsored” information (i.e., to find details with actual substance). If they do, then they can make actual informed decisions and choices. And if they don’t, then they get the government they deserve (as Susanann noted).