I would visit a friend from school whose living room was white white white gold gold gold. Adults only and kids could not even short cut through it to the bedrooms or their white German Shepard, a nasty beast named Pax would chase you.
My house-flipper friend says that her houses sell faster when the walls are painted in bold colors. Then the first thing the new owners do is repaint all the walls off-white.
I can kinda see the psychology behind that. Buyers will think they are getting a gem only hidden by the garish walls; something that can be resolved with one of the easiest of home improvements. Realtors have moved on from raising the curtain rods and the smell of fresh cookies.
I should have been clearer. She paints the walls with bold, but very tasteful colors. The kind Martha Stewart would approve of. The walls are gorgeous, but people seem to like them more in aspirational theory than in practice.