Richard Feyn made nukes w/ Einstein at L. Alamos, then made quantum electronics

The president of the company had a meeting today and got off on a tangent about “Richard Feyn”, who apparently worked with Einstein at Los Alamos to make the nuclear bomb, and then went on to develop quantum electronics.

Now, I have a bit of interest in these matters, so what immediately came to mind is:

1. The guy’s name was “Feynman”, not “Feyn”
  2. Einstein didn’t work on the bomb at Los Alamos (but did lay down some theoretical groundwork for it)
  3. Feynman contributed to quantum mechanics or physics, which isn’t ever referred to as “electronics”

Am I correct on these points? There wasn’t actually a guy named Richard Feyn was there? (I Googled and got no non-Feynman hits that I could see).

Yes, some of this stuff is nitpicky, but I’m curious how right or wrong I am.

1. Feynman
  2. Einstein wrote to letter to the POTUS encouraging the development of an atomic weapon
  3. Feynam went on to work on Quantum Electro Dynamics.

Ah, Quantum Electro Dynamics, he was pretty close on that. Thanks!

Einstein’s letter was written at the urging of Leo Szilard, IIRC. I don’t believe he ever even visited Los Alamos.

You could do worse than read “Surely You’re Joking Mr. Feynman” a kind of an autobiography. He was not only brilliant, he was also a great writer. There are more, but that’s a good place to start.

To be charitable to this guy, Richard Feynman did lay a lot of the theoretical groundwork for quantum computing as well. It’s still not “quantum electronics”, but I can see how the two terms might get confused.

Richard Feynman was a physicist at Los Alamos, true.

I did in fact read that a while back, enjoyed it a lot. Don’t recall as much as I wish about it though.

Einstein was sitting in his summer home in Peconic, New York, talking with my grandfather, when Szilard showed up with the letter.

Einstein’s pacifism made him a poor security risk in the eyes of the US government, so they never gave him clearance, and he first knew about the A-bomb with everyone else – after Hiroshima.

In any case, Einstein only provided the theoretical base (i.e,. E=MC^2) that indicated it was possible. He was a theoretician, not an engineer, and probably wouldn’t have been any help at Los Alamos.

Ah, another Feyn mess. :smiley:

I especially liked the part where he successfully applied scientific reasoning to the problem of how to get laid.

Yup, he was a stud!! :cool:

I can’t picture Einstein turning a wrench out on some remote test stand, but on the other hand, he and Szilard did invent a refrigerator .

In this case (as reported in the book) his scientific reasoning was more or less along the lines of: “I’m clearly no expert here - I’d do well to get instruction from someone who is.”

Just finished reading The Pleasure of Finding Things Out. A lot of interesting details from his time at Los Alamos working on the bomb. Richard Feynman is definitely near the top of the list of most important and interesting people of the 20th century.

Richard Feynman? Hell of a bongo player.

Did anyone else misread the thread title as “Richard Feyn made nudes with Einstein at Los Alamos”?

Yes, I saw ‘nukes’ as ‘nudes’, too. Maybe the world would be better off with more nudity and less nukity.

Although this is rapidly turning into Cafe Society shiver, Genius : The Life and Science of Richard Feynman by James Gleick is well worth the read if you want a vision of Feynman which is not actually written by the man himself.

I second the comment about Genius. A few books hence I plan to read some more about the Manhattan Project, because Gleick doesn’t just tell you about Feynman, he brings a lot of the other major personalities to life.

Apologies for the tiniest of nitpicks, and from memory yet as I do not have my copies handy, but I thought that that book and its sequel, “What Do You Care What Other People Think?” were not written by Feynman but were essentially edited transcriptions of audiotape interviews of the good Professor, by another party?

-AmbushBug