Rick and Morty -- the new animated show from Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland

I don’t think we have seen him purposefully murder a non-robot or “robot” that desired to live, without it being a danger to him. So this would be a casual first. Also it really seems like something this world would have, a small life-hating creature that you can test killing apparatus with, with less moral problems.

Huh I had a different read of the scene, remember the alien prisoner in the basement earlier in the episode said Rick WAS trying to cure his space AIDS.

I think the alien was afflicted with something Rick could not cure, or wanted to die or something and Rick kept him on ice in the event in the future he figured something out.

Since Rick was about to kill himself and none of his family would have any clue what to do with it, Rick unfroze it after decades and killed it first before himself. Like you might let a pet parakeet free before shooting yourself in the head rather than let it starve in the cage.
Did Rick rape hundreds of people in this episode who could only scream in inner horror?

Right, I may agree that this is a better read.

I believe if you are part of the hive mind there is no inner people who scream in horror. You are the hive mind.

Very interesting, folks. Thanks. Great to have a show that makes you laugh, think and recoil, by turns.

Something occurred to me, we constantly see Morty and Summer shown up by worldly Rick for their “planetary mindset” when they apply human morality to alien worlds.

But…uh what morality or sense of the world makes more sense in the galactic civilization? We have 0 sense or clue how the galactic civilization works, so it really isn’t fair.

Last night’s episode got a little over the top as they kept piling on characters, but it was pretty solid overall, and the twist at the end was unexpected.

Highlights; Amish Cyborg, Sleepy Gary, Never-Past-Bedtime-Land, Morty and Summer’s bad memories of one another, Keith David as the talking giraffe, and Rick’s catch phrases (Lick lick lick my balls! Grasssssssss… tastes bad! Schum schum schlippity dop! Hit the sack, Jack! EGGS!)

Not eggs - AIDS! Which makes it a whole lot better ;).

The bitter family flashbacks were the best, especially Summer viciously kicking Morty in the nuts from behind and Beth drunkenly whacking Summer in the face with her wine bottle. “She’s real - she’s my bitch of a sister.” But the best moment was a tearful Beth shakily pouring a glass of wine for herself right before the credits. Rick and Morty do humorous but simultaneously devastatingly bleak extremely well.

I just got caught up last night and it is a really good show.

As for continuity I read an article somewhere where Harmon said they are not going to worry about continuity. Now obviously there is some but if I remember right he said they aren’t going to sacrifice stories for continuity.

IIRC, the only time they’ve explicitly referred to events in a prior episode was in the season 2 premiere (which followed immediately after the events of the season 1 finale), and the time that Morty pointed out the graves of this universe’s original Rick and Morty in the backyard.

Seeing Jerry try to cope with the false memories of his affair with Sleepy Gary would be good for a few jokes, though.

Yes! Well said. I had the same thought.

This was one of the best half-hours of TV I’ve seen in years. Years! Great stuff. Never quite knew where it was going, and I loved how there kept being new people in the house (some of whom even showed up in the opening credits) as Rick kept trying to figure out who was actually supposed to be there.

Favorite lines:

“Thanks, Mr. Poopy Butthole. Always could count on you.”

“Dad, why does our house have blast shields?”
“Trust me, Beth, you don’t want to know how many answers that question has.”

“Shut up, Ham-urai. Shut up, Amish Cyborg. What is this, Nineties Conan?”

“Open the blast shields and let us the hell outta here!”
“Why don’t you make me, Implausibly Naive Pubescent Boy With An Old Jewish Comedy Writer’s Name?”

“Now let’s go, Morty. We’ve got a lot of friends and family to exterminate.”

(Dark) comedy gold.

The twist with mr poopy butt is kind of a cheat though, yea yea screw continuity but still!

Given the frequency with which the show plays with alternate universes, it is easy to provide continuity here should it be necessary.

We just might not have seen Mr. Poopy Butthole before - after all, we only see RAM half an hour a week. It could still be the same universe.

Forgot to say, I loved Morty’s bad memories while with his grandfather - being dragged away by a giant crab while Rick shares a drink with two blue babes; getting a little impromptu oral surgery from transparent aliens while Rick steals their instruments; being pantsed and falling down stairs in front of two classmates while Rick laughs at him.

I loved the bit where Mr. Poopy Butthole took the butt-living chipmunks and taught them how to surf and also about the importance of protecting the fragile coastal ecosystem. He’s a real standup guy.

I literally have no bad memories of Mr. Poopy Butthole.

Oh, no…

I really wanna know why Rick didn’t want to be killed in front of pencilvester…I’d like to see that flashback that explains it.
Or wait, was it Morty who didn’t want to see him kill Rick in front of pencilvester? Dammit! Now I gotta go rewatch it again and again and over analyse everything.

Apperently Rick and pencilvester were good friends; Rick cried when it was time to kill the parasite (and even left the ‘wet work’ to Morty).

Morty didn’t want to kill Rick in front of Pencilvester, so two of the other aliens dragged Rick into the garage for Morty to snuff him there.

…I can’t believe I just wrote that sentence.

However, this is the first time we seem him in the opening credits.

His name was “Pencilvester”. That alone rendered him too awesome, in Rick’s mind, to kill him.