Rick and Morty -- the new animated show from Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland

This is a totally ridiculous criticism, are you sure you saw the show being discussed?

AS has plenty of nonsensical absurd humor shows, stuff like Aqua Teen or Xavier. R&M is nothing like that, it has a clear plot usually involving scifi concepts.

Watched through it on Hulu over the last couple days. Really, really good. The belching shtick gets kind of old after a while and, in my opinion, just gets in the way of the great writing.

Adult Swim has quite a lot of terrible, nonsensical, surrealist crap. Shows that are basically trying to out random each other with no no plot or thematic coherence. Tim and Eric are a blight upon humorkind.

But Rick and Morty definitely shouldn’t be grouped with those. Yeah, it definitely goes to some pretty weird places, but there’s always a thread of logic connecting what’s going on. That’s a big part of why the humor works so well for me, because you can end up with an insane situation like Meseeks taking a restaurant hostage and see how every step leading up to that point made sense.

Anyways, great show.

Sounds like it went over your head.

I loved Rick and Morty from the pilot on; but I’m a sucker for absurdity, chaos, and imagination mixed in with my humour.

Last night’s episode might be my favorite so far.

Between killing a bunch of people for no reason, murdering his friend, and “Roy”, Morty might have even worse PTSD now than he did after having to bury himself.

Did you catch the Mister Meeseeeks cameo in the background at the arcade?

Jerryboree was hysterical. I like how Rick didn’t really care which Jerry he took home.

“Roy” was great. There’s no way that Harmon/Roiland weren’t referencing one of the best Star Trek: TNG episodes ever, The Inner Light. But turning the idea into a video game was fantastic (and feels strangely inevitable).

One thing I noticed, when Krombopulos Michael was infiltrating the compound place, was he killing the guards or just knocking them out? It looked a lot like he was just using sleeper holds (the TV shorthand for non-lethal knockouts), but there was also a crunching sound.

I ask because if he was being nonlethal, that would add more sting to the carnage of the main plot. Sure, KM is a psychopathic killing machine, but keeps the damage to an absolute minimum while Morty’s good intentioned meddling gets hundreds killed.

I’m no xenobiologist, but those guys look like they had exoskeletons - hard to make a sleeper hold work on bug-people with an exterior carapace. Also KM really enjoyed killing people. But, you know, like I said - I’m no xenobiologist.

Still I’d think killing a few redshirt guards beat hundreds dead and massive infrastructure damage to gear world any day. Besides they’re just robots :D.

Oh, come on. That’s like calling a Chinese person “Asiaface”!

I was baffled when RAM appeared on The Simpsons for the couch gag awhile back, having never heard of the show before. After seeing an ad for the S2 premiere, I watched the show and liked it very much - weird characters, subversive humor, bizarre aliens and impressive animation. I’ve watched several excerpts on YouTube and have added the show to my DVR list. Good stuff. A bonus for me, as an Archer fan, is Chris Parnell doing the voice of the dad.

Grandson.

Complete marijuana addict here:

Last night’s episode was Moral Orel levels of dark and touching. Loved it.

I saw a bit of the show on American TV when my sister and I were staying in a hotel in NYC last month. I thought it looked intriguing, so when I got home, I watched a bit of it online. I’ve seen the first few episodes, and I’m enjoying the show so far.

Complete non-smoker/drinker/drug-taker/fun-having person here:

Last night’s episode was excellent, one of the best. Such fantastic displays of emotion from both Rick and Jerry.

What happened with Rick, the small alien and the gadget in the garage at the very end of the most recent episode? Did he kill it, and then almost commit suicide himself before drunkenly passing out?

Well:

[SPOILER]That is largely how I understand it, yes.

He gets dumped by Unity, who essentially tells him that he’s too self-centered for even a hive mind to deal with. He understands that it’s probably right, and it kind of breaks him. He heads back home, and acquiesces to anything that is asked of him.

He kills the small alien, then obviously intends to kill himself. I like to think he realizes that would be just another string of selfish acts, and puts his head down in realization of the the fact that if he doesn’t want to remain only a selfish bastard in the memories of those he loves, he has to continue living.

But for whatever reason he puts his head down before he’s annihilated, and passes out until the next day.

[/SPOILER]

Thanks.

Why’d he kill the small alien? Why not return it to where it came from and release it there? Was it suffering and he was “putting it out of its misery”?

My take on the small alien:

It’s like a thing you can buy. A small alien that does not want to be alive (like Meseeks), and can be frozen and thawed easily. To test equipment like the one he has.

Also Rick passed out and that was all that saved him.

My view is that Rick is an hedonismo-anarcho-nihilist who throws himself (and all others) to the fortunes of the cosmic wind while playing with loaded dice. He would probably call himself a realist. He’s still growing as a character, but as he is now… what’s the life of a small Alien?

Know your role people, whether you pass butter, are a child rapist/king, or a conjured non-magical genie.