Rickjay and his daughter watch the classic comedies

Start the Revolution without Me

Egad! I remembered Father Goose, but forgot Arsenic and Old Lace

Dark Star.

You can teach your daughter phenomenology and FTL science while singing the toe-tapping theme song!

This is the best low-budget movie I’ve ever seen, and a cult classic.

It was made by John Carpenter when he was still a university student. Don’t be put off by the beach-ball alien and the rudimentary special effects. Though Carpenter invented the trope of ‘stars turning into streaks of light as a ship goes into hyperspace’ in this movie.

I have to post this now! I never tire of hearing it. :slight_smile:

Harold Lloyd’s old movies
Topper
My Favorite Brunette
My Favorite Blonde
Maybe some W.C. Fields or Mae West

My wife and I have been watching screwball comedies during the pandemic. We’ve watchEd a lot of what’s on your list and:
High Anxiety (Clovis Leachman is amazing in it)
The Police Squad TV show
Quark (didn’t hold up as well as I remember)

It’s slow and not all that funny, IMHO, by today’s standards. Mad props to it, it was a groundbreaking comedy, but today it’s not all that special. The “I’m a zit!” bit elicits a mild chuckle. Some comedies work in their time more than they do later. Many (not as much AH) are also just a bit gross now, like “Revenge of the Nerds.”

Also, he’s watching these movies with his 15 year old daughter.

I don’t mind dirty, she’s not a small child. “South Park” is crazy filthy.

“Revenge of the Nerds,” however, is positively gross now.

Since the OP specified “comedies,” that means Mel Brooks up to HotW, P1 should be watched. For a real time capsule, toss in Repo Man. After Spinal Tap make sure you watch A Mighty Wind.

Not to some people’s taste, but I always liked Chevy Chase in Foul Play and Seems Like Old Times. Not to mention the various Vacation movies.

Oh, good one. I loved that movie and I’d totally forgotten about it.

Never mind, ninja’d by RickJay.

Yeah it has not aged well.

Hey, you’re in luck! That and Blues Brothers are running practically non-stop right now on some Showtime channel.

I think I’ve watched Jake and Elwood tear up that mall about 9 times this month alone.

Scary Movie

American Pie

Don’t show her Young Frankenstein until she’s seen the original.

The Big Bus. It was Airplane 4 years before Airplane. Its one dumb joke after another but in a good way. Its a great film to watch in a good mood because it will make you chuckle. Im not sure how your daughter will respond because its a child of the 70s and many of the jokes/scenarios are based on 70s things.

Time Bandits

Yellow Submarine

Also, don’t show her High Anxiety until she’s seen several Hitchcock movies.

Did she see Jaws before Airplane?