Ridding the world of EEEvillll [Windows 10]

Which is exactly the behavior Windows has had since XP. Yep, Microsoft didn’t change it iota one.

And yet the whining continues.

I have 7, 8, and 10 on various machines. Damned if I can really tell the difference except for the color scheme & menu layout. I do development, so I spend a lot of time rooting around on the inside, not just living in the browser and/or Excel as so many users do.

Almost all the instability on XP was caused by garbage drivers written by 3rd party hardware companies. Microsoft finally realized they would always be blamed for the instability, so it was smarter for them to clamp down on driver behavior at the risk of creating incompatibilities at upgrade time than to keep coddling crappy driverware by letting it run and crash the OS every so often.

So for 7 they tightened it up a bunch. 10 finishes the rollout of the “we refuse to run junk drivers” initiative. The same initiative Apple has had since the 1990s and which contributed to their greater stability in all those prior years.

I’ve got Windows 10 on several machines at home, and a few dozen machines at work. They’re fine. One exception: I had problems upgrading one of them from Windows 7, because of what turned out to be a faulty memory controller.

I’m sorry that you seem to have had problems, but I have no idea why you think your problems are a reason for other people to ditch what is actually a very stable and functional OS.

:rolleyes:

I tried 10. Made my system crash every time it went into screen saver, requiring a hard reboot each time. Fuck that shit.

Went back to 7 and staying there until I get a new system.

Some people have problems and some say it is great.

Now if no one is lying, why would some have these rather bad problems and others don’t?

Forced updates, restarts that cost people work, adds in Free Cell??? That is the deal breaker for me

Only reason I do not stay with Linux is the style of Free Cell that I like. Yeah, it is that important. Þ, Þ, Þ

A company that tries to trick me into an upgrade is one I will leave as soon as I cam.

Too bad I do not like apple.

Need to go look at Linux again.

PEBKAC.

I like Win10. I liked Win8, too. and Windows 7.

/shrug

I loved it, too. I couldn’t figure out why people were so upset. Until that fucking anniversary update and my laptop was HOSED. I lost so much time uninstalling, reinstalling, restoring and in general trying to un-hose it. Yes, I had the boot drive. It didn’t work very well at all. I had a lot of installation failures and if I ever see “watch dog initialization” frozen on my screen again there will be a broken window and a laptop in pieces in the driveway. Somehow, I managed to fix it although I still couldn’t tell you HOW. Of course, I had to reinstall all my programs, I mean, APPS, and I still haven’t figured out the right driver for my card reader or reinstalled my wireless printer.

I love how in this version Cortana can’t be turned off. /sarcasm. I found a way to edit the registry to disable it, but it’s still showing up in places and calling me Miranda. WTF? My name isn’t Miranda! ???

I still have another laptop that I’ve kept turned off since this mess as it will update without my permission, too. I have to get past this trauma first.

Signed, former Windows 10 cheerleader.

as a birthday gift the MIL bought my wife a brand new laptop with winx on it.
She asked me if I wanted her to do the upgrade on my laptop from 7 to 10. Having read so many horror stories here and elsewhere I declined.

For the new machine with 10 factory installed, its been…ok, mediocre, but ok. Not a lot of functionality difference from 7. Wife had me set IE as the default browser and unpin edge from the tool bar because of privacy and customization issues. A lot of the customization of software settings and programs is gone which is aggravating but over all, I would say it was … adequate, far as we can tell we’ve had no issues with turning off that damn cortana thing either. I wouldn’t recommend it, but its not really terrible, just, well, underwhelming. all though it was somewhat frustrating figuring out where they hid stuff and finding as disabling as much of the windows spyware crap as possible.

For basic functionality you can install a Linux that works just like Windows. I installed Ubuntu on my mother’s laptop (to prevent her from accidentally installing hijack-ware) and it works just fine for her and she’s about as far from a savvy user as you can imagine.

missed the edit window, forgot to mention that as of now we are able to turn off updates completely (I think, we will see I guess)

Nifty! Thanks!

(I was a professional Unix admin for nine years…wrote a lot of scripts…but it was always from a command line. We never had anything pretty or fun.)

Upgraded from Win 7 mainly because I wanted to be able to take advantage of DirectX 12. Waited until nearly the last minute but it went painlessly and the learning curve was less than half an hour to get it looking like my old set-up with just minor differences remaining.

As for the forced updates, I’m no fan either but guess what? Microsoft is pushing the same thing to Win 7 and Win 8 updates now. So unless you plan on never updating your Windows again (goodbye security) you’re in the same boat.

I’m not happy with Microsoft’s choices on who gets to control what but the functioning of the OS itself hasn’t been an issue for me.

This board has had the same interface forever and ever. It is not New And Improved, which explains why posting has declined.

Obviously Ed and The Powers That Be* need to dramatically revamp things so that everything looks different and no one can figure out how to use the board.

*performing tonight in Hazard, KY.

I just tried it in my work laptop and that didn’t work. It worked with left click, as it’s done since XP. Left <> right. One of you, or maybe both, has laterality problems.

:rolleyes:

The start button can get borked in Win 10 though, the second solution in this link fixed my dad’s computer when he had trouble with it.

It can screw you if you have download limits too.

Windows 10 update breaks webcam functionality for millions of people:

Windows 10 update breaks Powershell:

After update, plugging in Kindle crashes Windows 10:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/plugging-in-kindle-is-crashing-windows-10-after/5db0d867-0822-4512-919e-3d7786353f95?page=1&auth=1

Windows 10 update breaks RDP (insider preview, but still …)
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e1ce2bea-4a39-4975-89e6-027117f021ed/kb3176938-14393103-is-breaking-something-in-network-security?forum=win10itprosecurity

Someday Windows 10 may be a fine operating system that I will trust on my hardware. Today is not that day.

I use all three major desktop OSes on a regular basis and they all have their problems with large updates. After months of holding off I updated OS/X to El Capitan and all hell broke loose–I still can’t get a few peripheries working–and it trashed my pmset changes. A few months ago I updated Ubuntu to 16.04 LTS and it took me days of mucking with /etc files to stop it from eating up the CPU.

Personally, I’m sticking with Win 7 for the time being, because I have a stable, working machine without any real issues.

Nothing about Win 10 has really sold me on the idea that it’ll be an improvement, merely that it won’t suck any worse, or so they say. And there’s plenty of evidence to the contrary.

That’s the best advice right there: stick with the OS version that works until you absolutely need to upgrade (which explains why I was still on XP).