Rijsttafel

I love my crazy foodie friends! We’re going to an outdoor orchestra concert this weekend, and the overture to The Flying Dutchman is one of the pieces on the program. My son suggested we have seafood (because of The Flying Dutchman), so my foodie friends suggest we do a group rijsttafel, which just works with this theme on so many levels. :stuck_out_tongue:

So I’m looking for ideas for dishes. I was planning to make satay, but what else would be appropriate? This will be a picnic on the lawn, so things that are easy to transport and don’t need to be kept piping hot would be good.

Recipes or links thereto would be greatly appreciated.

Oooooooooooooooooh, nothing like a good rijstafel. But at a picnic? Maybe a bit hard to pull if off.

My mother and aunt both do some Indonesian cooking, having lived for a while with their aunt who had spent time there as a nurse. The way mom did it was to stew some meat (traditionally lamb, but trukey also works) in a curry sauce. This stew was poured over rice and topped to taste with any (IMHO, all) of the following: raisins, cubed pineapple, toasted coconut, peanuts, cashews, chopped tomato, sliced banana, fried banana, green onions, mandarin oranges, crumbled bacon, boiled egg, and some (hot) mango chutney. Sweet chili sauce and sriracha have been recent additions.

I can probably lay my hands on some other recipes (recently at my aunt’s house, we had hard boiled eggs in some great sauce that included galangal), but they may need to be translated from Dutch and converted from metric. I’ll email them.

I’d LOVE your recipes! E-mail address is in my profile.

We’ve put together some pretty elaborate feasts in the past with things that aren’t particularly picnic-friendly. The biggest challenge is probably things that are very liquid-y, because the ground is sloped. I’ve spilled more glasses of wine than I care to count!