Rioting, Murderous Mob Transformed By 8 Hour Bus Ride

Describe the weapons. Describe the weapons. Try to get into a local courthouse. Nail clippers are weappons. You got nothing.

Do you disagree with this statement? Where am I saying “Don’t help anyone?” I’m speaking from the POV of the Astrodome officials. “Gee, they’ve destroyed the Superdome in New Orleans…why the hell should be *forced * to take that crowd in here and risk ruining our facility? Screw the fact that they’ve been through hell, screw the fact that they’re starving and dying of thirst, screw being PC about it. We’re searching them for weapons.”

Obviously, it was a good call.

The weapons were such that the Astrodome officials clearly did not trust this crowd with them. If they were confiscating nail-clippers? Then they must have reason to believe this is a very ugly crowd.

The initial crowd was searched for weapons. However refugees continued showing up at the Superdome as the water continued to rise. (No cite, but I saw it myself on cable news.) Also, after the rain stopped people were allowed outside. (Again, no cite, just what I saw on CNN.) Given that people were dying of dehydration, I doubt the top priority was making absolutely sure no one had contraband nail files.

And that’s mostly the sort of “weapon” we’re talking about here. Scissors, nailfiles, pocketknives – the sort of stuff you get taken away from you if you try to board a plane with it.

(At least that’s the sort of stuff that the guardsmen were confiscating in New Orleans according to the CNN reports I watched. The news report you cite says nothing about guns, only generic “weapons”.)

I want a cite on your “dangerous crowd” remark above. Dangerous? Did they riot? Attack the guardsmen? Set fire to the dome? What?

Sure there were crimes committed in the dome. It’s hard to imagine that you could round up that many people at random without getting a handful of criminals mixed in. But all the evidence shows that the trashing of the dome wasn’t the result of a malicious crowd, but rather the result of too many people packed into
too small a space for too long without adequate food, water, or sanitation.

Dude, they confiscated nail clippers from people entering the Superdome on Sunday. I SAW it with my own eyes on CNN. At the time I remember thinking “wow, that’s kind of harsh.”

So maybe you should take that “600 weapons” story with a grain of salt, eh?

There you go with your not so fancy footwork again. Who said they were confiscating nail clippers? My point is that you are unable to define them as anything but weapons. Other posters have pointed out that many things can be considered weapons, and and in the absence of any particulars you have no business trotting out "600 Weapon! 600 weapons! like some Barney Fife wannabe.

One cop said. 600 weapons. You got nothing.
Of course, the crowd is not well-behaved because it the first time in 5 days that they have been treated like humans beings. It’s the absence of the 600 weapons.

What were those weapons, again?

Uh, you just said yourself there were several rapes. If I were one of those people, you better BELIEVE I’d keep a knife on me.

Here is a cite, asshole.

Don’t be silly. The Second Amendment only applies to rich, white people. Not poor, black ones.

Ah, you’re making me vomit in my mouth.

I’ll willing to bet it is SOP to do a weapon search upon entry into any shelter, let alone one housing thousands of people indefinitely. It would have been foolhardy to not do a weapons search even if there hadn’t been any violence and Christ Himself had been in the crowd. It’s what you do when you’re dealing with the public under vunerable circumstances.

And how is it possible for 20,000 people, over the span of multiple days, with little security, to NOT trash a facility? There isn’t a population you could have put into the Superdome, under those same conditions (no food, no water, no power) that would have faired better. I’m certain of it!

Thank goodness the mayor of Houston was able to see the humanity of the hurricane victims. Can’t say the same for you.

They were shooting each other with pocketknives? Impressive.

No I don’t disagree with that statement. But what you have consistently failed to do is PROVE THAT THE MURDEROUS CROWD EXISTS. Not once have you provided any evidence, despite countless invitations to do so.

“Screw the fact that the’ve been through hell …” Man, you may be the poorest excuse for a human being I have ever come across, and I’ve met people who would shoot their mother for the price of a pack of smokes.

Where’s your source?

Would you have searched this poor, suffering crowd for weapons, of all things? If so, why?

Your cite is my source. You know, the one you pointed out to me above?

**One police officer said ** security guards have seized more than 600 weapons while patting down people entering the stadium. Still, the place has air conditioning, and plenty of food and water for everybody.

It might be time for your nap.

You have proof the cop is lying? (This thread is really backfiring on you, isn’t it? I’m actually starting to feel sorry for you!)

Sure. Would I have used that as an excuse to delay evacuation, as you have done? Hell no.

It really is time for your nap. Really. (Sigh. I know this won’t work.) Please show me where I said he was lying.

Backfiring on me? Look around, sweety. Your ass has been chewed into niblets. Show one poster who agrees with you. Just one.

Why would you have searched them? Wouldn’t you trust them not to bring dangerous weapons into your refugee shelter? After all, there were only 12 murders and 6 rapes at their previous shelter. A bit un-PC of you to have the gall to actually suspect these poor, bedraggled people would be carrying weapons, huh?

Here’s where we disagree. Facts matter to me, not how many other posters agree with me. If my source, the cop, is telling the truth then they’ve confiscated over 600 weapons from this crowd. You seem to think that “one cop” quoted in a newspaper is not much of a source. Prove he’s lying or shut up.