RIP Ed Asner

The episode I remember best is the one where Rossi helps a grieving mother track down the hit-and-run driver who killed her son as he was leaving a convenience store with “a six-pack of root beer and some cartons of yogurt.” She and Rossi doggedly go through the whole rigamarole of identifying the vehicle and its driver and finally nail the perp, who turns out to be … SURPRISE, SURPRISE … a hard-nosed judge in Traffic Court famous for handing down harsh sentences to violators!

The scene where they confront the guilty party in his office was one of the best I’ve ever seen.

I have never felt older than I did yesterday, when a young person of my acquaintance said, “Did you hear the guy who played Carl in Up died?” She was completely unfamiliar with Asner’s long body of work before that. The words “Mr. Grant” got nothing but a blank look.

I don’t want this to be a “kids today” post, and ultimately it speaks well of Asner’s talents that he continued to give performances that appealed to newer audiences right up until the end of his life. But it really made me feel my age.

Get used to it. I’ve been feeling that way since the 1970s, when I heard astonishment that Paul McCartney had been in a band before Wings.

No kidding? Are you willing to share the book title with us?

I only knew him from Lou Grant, one of the few shows I watched when I moved out on my own. Great show.

Didn’t know about that part. Had to Google and it looks like he actually belonged to a formal group of actors that were truthers.

I had that exact experience as well.

I didn’t think I was allowed to say the title. But here it is:

“Sitcom Writers Talk Shop: Behind the Scenes with Carl Reiner, Norman Lear, and Other Geniuses of TV Comedy” (Rowman & Littlefield)