RIP Ginger Baker

An extraordinary drummer and a non-ordinary man; he leaves us at 80 years old.

RIP Ginger; you done good.

Thanks for sharing that story Bo.

There was a documentary I stumbled across on Netflix awhile back called “Beware of Mr. Baker” (which was apparently the sign on the gate outside his property). I learned more than I ever wanted to know about Ginger Baker. Frankly, I’m surprised that he made it to 80.

Whatever else you may think of the man, he was a fantastic drummer. RIP Ginger.

Great Drummer, saw him live once at the Stone Pony.

I don’t know anything about him so I’m probably better off not knowing.

As I mentioned here not too long ago, I always thought it was very cool that Leonard Bernstein singled out Baker as “a drummer who could really keep time”. To me as a young teen, this was validation that “kids music” was, in fact, music. So thanks, Ginger (and Lennie).

RIP, Ginger. I lived in Denver when Ginger was a resident of nearby Parker, CO. He organized the Denver Polo Club (polo was a passion of his). He also held jazz concerts with his group, the DJQ2O—the Denver Jazz Quintet to Octet, following polo matches. When Ringo Starr brought his All-Starr Band to Red Rocks in 1999, Baker sat in and played a few Cream tunes with Jack Bruce. Immigration problems caused him to move to South Africa in 1999. By all accounts, he was very involved with the community, and a definite asset to Colorado.

Woke up to this news today. I had known his health hadn’t been great for a long time, so it’s not much of a surprise.

Yeah, he had a combative personality a lot of the time, but as Bo’s story shows, he obviously could get along with people most of the time. I doubt I would have been happy in a band with him, but he’s amazing to listen to. Since the former wasn’t ever likely, and I do a lot of the latter: I’ll miss ya man. God stopped punishing you for your wickedness!

Great story here.

Click on the links. There is a great interview.

Sad news of his passing. The gods will be happy to have him and his drum kit in the sky.

Indeed, RIP, Mr. Baker.

More than a drummer, Mr. Baker was a great artist, and like many great artists, possessed of a volatile temperament.
From Beware of Mr. Baker:

In this short clip, Mr. Baker offers his subjective assessment of the drumming talents of John Bonham and Keith Moon; while Eric Clapton puts Mr. Baker’s talent in a somewhat more objective perspective.

Maybe Karen Carpenter will finally yeild the drum kit to him. :smiley:

With the life he led, I’m surprised Grim Reaper didn’t show up 10 years ago. RIP, funny man.

Sad but not surprising. And about 50 years after we all thought he was dead. There was a segment in “Beware of Mr. Baker” about that.

Saw him with the Air Force in New York somewhere around 1970. Even back then he was acknowledging the African influence on drumming, which was early for international music.

Since he spent all his money on horses (including he money he got from the reunion concert) him fixing his drumheads doesn’t surprise me.

Need to go listen to both Toads now.

Whatever else there is to say about him, he was good at his job–A damn fine drummer for the super group Cream.

RIP Ginger.

And his vocal chops were pretty good ;). He made the whole Masters of Reality - Sunrise on the Sufferbus album an amazing display of fun drumming.

Also featured on PIL’s “Album” (aka “Cassette”/“Compact Disc”), one of my favorite records. RIP.

RIP Ginger Baker. One of the best and most inventive drummers ever. I’ve long known about his reputation and saw “Beware of Mr. Baker” just a few month ago, but I’ve always thought that there must be something good and cool (he was cool anyway) about this exceptional man. Thanks **Bo **for confirming my hunch :). I sure can’t top his story, but I’ve got my own Ginger Baker anecdote I already shared last year:

And he’d just gotten that gig with Spinal Tap.

I am not a pop music historian like many of you are, and first heard of him watching the show “Beware of Mr. Baker.” Obviously talented drummer and total prick who let fortune slip through his fingertips and was jealous of all his fellow successful band-mates. He seemed to treat his son very poorly (who was also a drummer), and did not open the doors for him he could have. I heard a clip of Mr. Baker speaking on the radio and he excused his unpleasant behavior by saying he was taught by his wonderful mother to always tell the truth, that’s what all assholes say. So what do I know?, good thing he was talented.