RIP Mr. Coffee

I’ve mentioned (well, exhorted) in another coffee thread that if you are stuck with a Keurig, instead of buying the k-cups, use your own fresh-ground coffee in a reusable pod. You’ll get coffee somewhere between a drip maker and a French press - closer to a French press.

I always detested Keurigs, until I was forced into it at work, where there is no other coffee option in my small, unplumbed office far from any kitchen or bathroom. So I’ve had to perfect the Keurig experience. I like extremely strong coffee. I have the Keurig model which can brew a weak smallish carafe. I use the larger reusable carafe-size pod to make a single 10-oz cup. (This is the only way not to produce a tiny cup of strong coffee or a larger watered-down cup.) I set the water temp at the hottest setting, and the brew strength at “strong”. Everyone who’s tried it has agreed on the surprising quality.

But IMO, the pre-filled purchased K-cups are a poor substitute for fresh coffee.

I brew mine in a little 2-cup, Chinese-made stainless steel stovetop percolater I bought from Amazon a couple years ago. Throw in an inexpensive dark roast and perk for three minutes (no more, no less) and I get a delicious cuppa joe every time, guaranteed. Plus, when the zombie apocalypse happens I’ll still be able to brew up over an open fire, at least until the last bag of coffee runs out.

I still have a Mr. Coffee for the vanishingly rare occasions I might have to make more than a couple of cups at a time, but mostly it just gathers dust.

Mine is a General Electric, like this one.

I would reverse this, adding that the Keurig would only be for in-laws you detest (there’s a machine in the lounge at work that I’d use only in a situation of extreme desperation where dishwater would be palatable).

We have used a Mr. Coffee satisfactorily in the past. The current machine is a Black & Decker which works fine, unless you use “Henry’s Choice” by Seattle’s Best (what’s wrong with Henry is a mystery).

Could be - I am not using the words I chose with a whole lot of forethought. Really I just named a couple of characteristics I don’t like in coffee, and slapped them on. On reflection, I’m not sure the dark roasts I don’t like are actually all that acidic, they are just gross (to me).

It doesn’t help that I’ve been drinking coffee produced for domestic consumption in Indonesia (the best stuff is exported) for the last decade. There is some weird rancid taste to a lot of it, and I don’t know what the formal term is. Now that I’m in Hawaii, I find many of the lighter roasts (Kona blends) to be pretty good. Maybe I like slightly acidic coffee and just haven’t figured that out yet.

I think it must happen very often, that people know exactly the characteristics they’re tasting in their coffee but don’t know what name to call those characteristics. I certainly don’t know the “magic coffee words” that all the experts seem to know.

See? (An example of what I said about having to fight a machine that just isn’t your style.) Except you didn’t buy this one, you just got stuck with using it.

I used a friend’s Keurig machine when I stayed with him - I just used it as directed and thought it was pretty good, but I don’t have high standards with coffee. Maybe those machines are exactly made for people like me “just give me a cup of coffee, I don’t care that much, OK?” It does seem to be how those machines are set up.

Mrs. L.A. commented, ‘Good coffee!’ this morning. Still using the percolator, pending the arrival of the new Mr. Coffee, and the Community Coffee Café Special. I told her what coffee I was using, and Mrs. L.A. said, ‘I don’t care what coffee you used. This is good!’

She’s going to ask why you’re not using the percolator permanently cause it’s just fine. :slight_smile:

I went through this struggle in an office once. It nearly drove me crazy trying to get a decent cup. The closest I came was with the refillable pods and then triple brewing them. So I’d use a 15 oz. mug and brew a cup on the 4oz. setting then just do it again twice more. This gave the grounds a little time to soak and breathe. Fast brewing methods like espresso and keurig are very good at getting the flavor out of the grounds** while releasing as little caffeine as possible.** This is not in line with my goals.

Percolators are my preferred method, but I’ve never managed to use a stovetop one without burning the coffee. And all the plug in ones I’ve seen are attached to the mechanical base, so they don’t go in the dishwasher. When they make a percolator that detaches from the base like an electric kettle, then we’ll chat. Otherwise, it’s the french press or the cup-top filter for me.

I believe it’s like this…

Too little acid: dull and lifeless
Just-right acid: bright and interesting
Too much acid: harsh and unpleasant

BUT that has to balance with everything else.

I love the Keurig because it makes good enough coffee and my husband and I don’t have to argue over whose turn it is to make coffee. I do have a sentimental reaction to the Mr. Coffee name though, I remember when they first came out in the early 70’s and my parents got one. It was quite the big deal.

A coffee maker in the dishwasher? Seriously?

Taster’s Choice to the rescue.

About 15 yrs ago, my father’s (then around 80 yrs) electric coffee grinder went belly up. It was a wedding present, circa 1946. Running it for 8 seconds was the perfect amount for the percolator.

He wanted to get it repaired. I told him to go Walmart and get another one.

If my wife’s coffee maker died, she would have to bury me. I have been making her coffee for the last 54 years. Grind it fresh and put it through a Mellitta filter.

My dad had the best electric grinder I have ever seen. It was a hopper-style unit that was full of beans most of the time, with a small flap-covered aperture about the right height for a basket. You just held the button until you had as much as you wanted. It sat on the kitchen counter over near the – what was that thing called – “wall phone”, that was it, the wall phone.

That blend is advertised to be strong tasting. Maybe your machine makes a pretty strong cup anyway, and combined with their effort to make a strong blend it just turns out a bit much overall.

I also don’t see the point in using a dishwasher to clean a machine that normally runs by circulating hot water through itself. :slight_smile:

It is slightly different from “hot water” – that is the silliness that the Brits imbibe. My percolator acquires a dark patina on the bottom, which I do not perceive as particularly affecting the flavor, but if it gets too thick, it can interfere with function. It comes off fairly easily with a brush or rag and some coarse-grain salt. Vinegar can also help. A dishwasher makes no sense – for anything, really, because it barely saves one any time anyway.