RIP Net Neutrality, 1969-2018

Something bad will happen to consumers, though how it will manifest is hard to say. After all, why implement it if there was no benefit (i.e. profit) to be had?

Untrue. Net neutrality was a principle enforced by the FCC since the 1990s at least.

In 2015, a judge ruled they legal basis for that was incorrect, but it could be enforced under another section of the law. The FCC changed the rule to comply.

It is a lie that it didn’t exist before 2015, a bit of propaganda the ISP apologists trot out to pretend it’s not needed.

I’m not the typical “If it eventually happens no matter how long it takes, I was right!” type of person. I don’t need to be “right” on a message board in order to feel good about myself.

I’ll go with June 2020 if that’s cool with you.

Why does something bad have to happen quickly for it to be valid?
I don’t think the effects will be felt immediately. Right now, most everyone is aware of net neutrality, and any ISP that steps over the line will get smacked hard.
Erosion of neutral internet will be slow. It will most certainly start with ‘free’ stuff.

Net Neutrality rules began in 2015 not 1969.

You folks will just have to use sites based outside the US where net neutrality remains intact.

That’s not the problem. The problem is with the ISPs, not the sites.

If cable companies slow down my service, can I slow down my payment?

And here’s the first one:

AT&T’s Time Warner deal and net neutrality’s end gave us WatchTV

Big surprise, AT&T owned content streaming will not apply to data caps of AT&T wireless service.

I’m having a little trouble finding where you predicted this outcome, although it sounds familiar. Can you remind me?

Posts #13 and #23 are the setups.

You go first.

I predicted it in Post 9 (Item 3).

Wow. Good call.

Yes, so you did. Nice job!

You absolutely did.

I see where Gorsnak predicted this outcome. I’m having trouble finding where YOU did.

Unless the two posts were an endorsement of his predictions. But so far as I can tell, you only referred vaguely to prior predictions, which would allow you to claim victory if any of them materialized. That can’t be correct, though, so I am obviously missing something.

Well, mine was more of “Some ISP will take advantage of non-NN, and I predict it would happen by June of 2020”

However, nothing specific, you are correct. But I defer to others who DID predict it, and good on him!

And yes, I would claim victory if any of them happened. Sue me.