RIP, Nichelle Nichols; Lt. Uhura

She died last night at the age of 89, according to a post by her son on her official Facebook page.

To absent friends. See you around the galaxy, fair maiden.

(“Sorry, neither!”)

Oh man. Original crew of the Enterprise is getting sparse.

Goodbye Uhura. Ms. Nichols stayed on the show at the behest of Martin Luther King Jr. himself. She actually worked for NASA for a while in the 70s. she took at least one suborbital flight if I remember correctly.

Very sad, but giver her recent health somewhat a relief.
ekedolphin already used her best quote.

Brian

My favorite Uhura scene of all-time, be it OG or NuTrek:

Obituary from WaPo (gifted):

Yeah, baby, Mr. Adventure!

When they came up with the right situation/dialogue for the right actor, everyone on that show gave stellar (:wink:) performances and Ms Nichols was no exception. Far from being a “token,” you wanted to see more of her.

The password is Blooey.

Somewhere, beyond the stars…
beyond Antares.

It’s a big Galaxy!

RIP, Nichelle.

Paywalled for me. But most of the articles I looked at are similar to each other.

Slow loading today, but here is her official site:
https://uhura.com/

Dang,

There was an episode from ST TNG that I’ve always remembered. It was called Remember me. It involved Beverly Crusher getting caught in a warp bubble and the Universe around her collapses.

This is how I feel when someone from my childhood disappears.

It’s a bit amazing to me that all the principal actors from Star Trek have lived, and are still living, very long lives. But, yeah, I understand how you feel. I grew up watching Star Trek, and as selfish as this sounds, each time one of the crew passes away I’m reminded that my childhood is just a little farther away and I’m closer to the end of my life than I am the beginning.

Sad news. I saw her at a Star Trek convention. Ms nichols was amazing and gracious.

This is a good watch on Ms. Nichols.

She was a fabulous role model to all girls. We miss you already, Nichelle.

Awwwww, man. :cry:

Sad news

She is (was) legendary, for representing African Americans on the small screen. And then later, working for NASA, encouraging girls to get into STEM.

Damn. :cry: