RIP Ray Harryhausen

Absolutely loved his work – he was the standard against which all lesser cheesy sci-fi special effects were measured. Jason and the Argonauts, Beast from 20,000 Fathoms…so cool.

(I indoctrinated my children and raised them on Jason, so I’ve seen it probably 20 times.)

And so passes another of the giants. The world is poorer for his passing.

I just heard about this somewhere else. Given his age, I knew that it had to happen sometime fairly soon, but still… sad.

I will watch the Ymir fighting an elephant in downtown Rome tonight in his memory.

Oh man. I just watched Special Effects Titan a couple of weeks ago. He was the best.

:frowning:
He created wondrous worlds and amazing creatures for kids of all ages. RIP Harry.

He had a huge influence on my youth. I consumed all the sci-fi & horror I could, regardless of quality, so I saw lots of bad special effects: models on strings, guys in rubber suits…much of it MST3K fodder. But a Harryhausen movie was a special treat.

His coffin will be carried by six sword-wielding skeletons!

RIP, Ray!

A towering talent. He could make even the dumbest movie watchable and his influence is in every special effects film made after his.

Thank you for everything, Ray,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

:(:(:frowning: Guess my viewing plans have changed for this evening.

Absolutely. I saw The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad during a theater revival when I was a kid in the 1970’s and it permanently seared an impression into my brain. Just about everything he touched was gold, even if the film around it was tin.

CGI is all well and good, but stop-motion is the Real Thing (as it were)!

A lovely tribute here. It’s 10 minutes long. Might seem like a long time in this short attention span age, but it’s worth it. Especially considering Ray Harryhausen spent days creating a few seconds of footage.

Ray Harryhausen Tribute by Dave Conover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyCRvFPZqc8

I saw a comment at another website that really puts Harryhausen’s death in perspective.

If a movie had Harryhausen effects, it was a Ray Harryhausen movie, no matter who else was in it or worked on it. How many other people have made that much of an impression on the art of special effects?

And you know, I don’t think I can name a single other special effects individual that I can pick out of the crowd.

Saturday evening I attended the last film in a Jules Verne film festival. It was Mysterious Island. I saw it on TV when I was a little kid and was blown away. A lot of that had to do with the giant crab, the giant bird, the giant bees, the giant…everything else, all done by Harryhausen.

I watched the tribute. I have some dust in my eyes or something.

Damn! I’m sorry to hear that. I saw Seventh Vyage of Sinbad in the theater at a matinee when it was still relatively new, and hadn’t been shown on TV. My sister, only slightly older, yold me to look away at the Snake Dancer sequence, but, of course, that was ridiculous. I was hooked. It was later that I learned he’d co-animated Mighty Joe Young, which I’d seen on TV innumerable times.

I knew of the older films through Forrest Ackerman’s Famous Monsters of Filmland, but it was years before I saw all of his 1950s films. Earth vs. the Flying Saucers had a dumb title, but the scenes of the saucers actually crashing into the buildings in Washington DC (with bits of falling debris painstakingly animated) was a joy. Even as a kid, you know that the movies usually cut away from some bit of mayhem that would be too much trouble to render convincingly on screen, but Harryhausen actually depicted it. I saw Gulliver, First Men in the Moon, One Million Years BC in the theaters. Gwangi had rotten distribution, and I had to catch up later, but I saw the later Sinbads (Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger was the big fantasy film in London in summer 1977 when visited. Star Wars hadn’t made it there yet.)And, of course, Clash of the Titans, his last (aside from odd bits like Tortoise and the Hare.
I would’ve loved to have seen his unrealized projects – War of the Worlds, reviving O’Brien’s War Eagles, his extraterrestrial ideas and other mythological films, but they were not to be. I’ve recently caught the colorized classics he worked on, like She.

I twice sent him copies of my book, since I spent several pages on Clash of the Titans, and I’m certain that he got it the second time. I also wrote, through his connection, to see about getting a statement a couple of years ago for an Arisia panel on his films, but never heard from him in either case. He was said to be pretty friendly with fans, and was reported as spending a lot of time discussing his films with them. He’ll be missed.

Clash of the Titans was the first movie where the special effects absolutely floored me. I bugged my parents for weeks, “How did they do that”?!

RIP Thanks for the Dreams. :frowning:

This. :frowning:

Ray! Come to Mt. Olympus at last.

:frowning: