RIP Tony Curtis

The Great Race has always been one of my favourite movies. RIP Tony.

The Great Race is easily the most quoted film in my family. Tony Curtis was wonderful in it. Would have been so easy to go way over the top or be overshadowed by Jack Lemmon but I thought he found the perfect mix of arrogance and charm.

I’m simply Leslie … and I’m at your service.

One of the best seduction scenes EVER!**

Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you eat oysters?
Antoninus: When I have them, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you eat snails?
Antoninus: No, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you consider the eating of oysters to be moral and the eating of snails to be immoral?
Antoninus: No, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: Of course not. It is all a matter of taste, isn’t it?
Antoninus: Yes, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: And taste is not the same as appetite, and therefore not a question of morals.
Antoninus: It could be argued so, master.
Marcus Licinius Crassus: My robe, Antoninus. My taste includes both snails and oysters.

He did that for a while. He looked like a combination of Bill Shatner and Bea Arthur. The cowboy hat was an improvement.

When you get to age 85 and in bad health, well, come on, who wants to be fooling with wigs and toupees? The cowboy hat covered up the bald and looked rather fetching… I forgot all about The Sweet Smell of Success. Besides the great performances, it’s a very stylish, jazzy picture of New York back in the day.

IMO it’s never better if you go down the wig road. He looked much better in the cowboy hat.

YIKES!!

I think Tony Curtis looked better when he and Jerry Lewis made the movie: Boeing Boeing
Looking back, Tony Curtis was in a whole bunch of entertaining movies, he was very lucky and unusual to get so many good movie roles.

I did. … and I enjoyed all of them.

Tony Curtis was in a load of films, some of them really good ones. The thing I liked about him however was that he’d go on any UK chat show any time he was in the country, and just be entertaining, with a million anecdotes. That was his job, and he was good at it, and he didn’t need to be, but he did even when when he was very not well.

Yonda lies da castle of my fadda.

Seriously, RIP

I had a crush on him when I was about 8. I loved to watch Trapeze whenever it came on TV. Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis - who could ask for anything more?

If I were to have a movie career, I’d probably want Tony Curtis’. Sex, drugs, some pretty good movies and not (quite) bothered by the microscopic scrutiny you get from today’s paparazzi. I think he had a ball with his life.

Jamie Lee Curtis said in an interview several years back that her husband, Christopher Guest, would no longer speak to or have anything to do with Tony Curtis because of his bad behavior while drunk or high, I don’t recall which.

Ah, good ol’ Tony. That’s my boy.

On a side note, I once dated a nurse who worshipped the ground that Jamie Lee Curtis walked on. Said that was her ideal of pure femininity. I’ve always thought Jamie Lee Curtis to be a rather ugly-looking beanstalk. Probably helps explains why the relationship with the nurse didn’t last.

I don’t have any idea what kind of arrangements there are, but I just have an image of a funeral home director saying, “Yonda lie da remains o’ Tony Cuddus.”

Now I feel guilty. Maybe that was a tad too harsh. I should have said “funny-looking.”

Yeah, how mean, with her father just dying and all. :slight_smile:

I remember I kind of enjoyed his novel Kid Andrew Cody and Julie Sparrow and had thought about rereading it recently. I’ll have to dig it up. He had a line I liked about some deadbeat character and how he had once been “his highness the baby.”

Ebert just added Some Like It Hot to his Great Movies list. His essay is here.

Excerpt: “Capturing the chemistry was not all that simple. Legends surround Some Like It Hot. Kissing Marilyn, Curtis famously said, was like kissing Hitler. Monroe had so much trouble saying one line (‘Where’s the bourbon?’) while looking in a dresser drawer that Wilder had the line pasted inside the drawer. Then she opened the wrong drawer. So he had it pasted inside every drawer.” :smiley:

I showed this film to the wife way back when we were in school in Hawaii, and she hated it. Thought these two guys were just a couple of manipulative bastards. But she grew to love it over time and finally sees how great it is.