Ripening tomatoes indoors

We have a short growing season here. Every time I’ve grown tomatoes, I still have tons of green one when the first frost approaches. I’ve tried the windosill, but I’m talking lots of tomatoes!
I know that using red mulch shortens ripening time on the vine, but would putting the green one on a red towel indoors help? I’ve ripend babanas in a paper bag with an apple, would that help?
Any suggestions?:
:cool:

Go with the paper bag with a ripe apple and three or four tomatos. I have never heard of a red object causeing a tomato to ripen, do you have a cite?

The red object thing has to be bogus, doesn’t it?

The ripening of many fruits is promoted by the presence of ethylene gas, which in turn is given off by other ripening fruits; putting a ripe apple in a paper bag with the unripe tomatoes(or even alongside them in a bowl) should start them ripening.

Tomatoes ripened completely off the vine can sometimes be a little drier inside, or even slightly hollow like a bell pepper - this is normal.

Next year, why not try growing cherry tomatoes; these often have a shorter time between sowing and harvest.

I don’t. I read an artical from the University of Wisconcin, I believe, several years ago. They used red plastic mulch, black plastic mulch and no mulch. they planted several types of tomatoes in each they duplicated the three to grow peppers and some unrelated vegetable as controls. The results were the tomatoes using the red mulch ripend faster than the other, and extended the growing season a week or two, the black mulch did better than no mulch, but was significantly less tha the red.
The red and black showed no difference with the peppers and other vegetable.
I’ve used it in years past, but its a lot more work, and I’m getting old. Its also hard to find.
Sorry, I don’t goggle, I only use books. I don’t really like to “surf” I come to SDMB for entertainment

On thinking about it, yhe red mulch might have some effect on the plant by reflecting IR back up to the leaves.

[/quote**Next year, why not try growing cherry tomatoes; these often have a shorter time between sowing and harvest. **[/QUOTE]

Most of theseare cherry tomatoes. I had a huge crop. I just hate to throw all these away.

Tomatoes ripen in the dark. Really. Try putting them in the pantry. Or some other dark, spooky place.

You could make green tomato chutney… (it is rather good actually)

I usually end up with a shopping bag or two full of green tomatoes at the end of the growing season. The small ones get pickled in a mixture of vinegar, ground up habaneros, onions, salt and dill. I pop the large ones into paper bags, each bag about half full, toss in an apple to supply ethylene, and crumple the bag shut. Keep the bags in a cool place, such as a basement, and check weekly. You’ll lose a few to liquifaction, but if you remove the problem tomatoes, and keep the rest clean (i.e. wash off any goo from the few that went bad), you’ll be eating tasty, home grown tomatoes til christmas.

I pull out the tomato plants and hang them upside down in the basement with the green tomatoes on the plants. I then cover the plants and tomatos with newspapers to keep them dark. They ripen and do not dry out with this method.

I used to wrap my folk’s green tomatoes in newspaper and store them under the basement staircase. When they ripened my mom would make tons of tomato jam for toast. I never cared much for it - would rather have Strawberry of Blueberry.

Ok, I’ll try several ways and see what works best. Some in paper with an apple, some out in the light on and off a red towel, and some in the dark without an apple.
I’ll report back as thing progress.
Thanks to all.

Banana peels turning black are a great source for ethilene gas. Just put some in a bag with your tomatoes.