Road Trip: Indiana to Wisconsin...so, can I call you if I get stuck?

http://www.mapquest.com/rtp/directions.adp?rtpid=3edf5872-00086-025b7-cdbcf373&segment=1

That’s my tentative trip plan. I’m actually making TWO round trips…one the last weekend of June, and the other one week later. (I’m shuttling my son back and forth to Jazz camp.)

It looks like about a 10 hour drive, but I think I’ll spend two nights on the road and do a little me-time on the way back. (A night in a hotel by myself! Ooooh!)

Any Dopers along the way? Can I call you if I have a major emergency? Not that I’m planning to, mind you, but you just never know…if we have an accident or something it’d be nice to know someone in the area.

Or…if anyone knows a better way to go, feel free to critique my route. I’m totally trusting Mapquest here…

Best,
karol

I won’t be of much help, since getting stuck in Indianapolis is far too close to home.

M suggestion is to use Mapquest to get you there, but go off the beaten path coming back, to maximize the ‘me’ time. Ain’t no better way to travel than with a Rand-McNally, a loaded cooler, and all the time in the world.

Don’t know much about that part of the world, but if you haven’t been to the Wisconsin Dells, they have some nice water parks and tourist stuff.

You will be a little more than an hour away from me when you are in Rockford.
I’m in Davenport.
I wish you were traveling a bit closer because you are one of the people I would really adore meeting!
If you do decide to take Vunderbobs’ suggestion and wander a bit off the beaten path and get a little closer let me know.
But by all means if you get into trouble with anything give me a holler and I will do all within my power to give you a hand.

BTW, I need to talk to you about home life stuff when you get a chance. Things are changing fast and you might need to pull out that cheerleader outfit.

I know there’s a cadre of Dopers, including myself, in Madison.

I-90/94 will probably have at least some construction along the way. Depending on how pressed you are for time, maybe take some state or US highways. Granted, you’ll have to slow down for every little down you pass through, but the scenery is much better.

I’m in La Crosse Wisc. You’re planned route doesn’t really get that close to me, but if you want some great scenery, the drive along the Mississippi is beautiful.

What city in Wisc. are you heading for?

Your Comfort Party thread was one of the first I read after finding this message board. I spent hours reading through that thing!

I’d be honored to help you, should you need it.

Let me know.

Like vunderbob said, Indy’s a little to close to be of any help. And when we went to Wisconsin two years ago, we STAYED AWAY FROM CHICAGO!! We went west on 74 and north through Illinois from Bloomington (how’s THAT for a trip?!?! :smiley: ) - looks like it’s 39, then continued into Wisconsin like that. No toll roads and to Chicago-are stuff. Unless you WANT to go through Chicago.

BTW - I always use randmcnally.com for my maps and such. I like their lay-out better.

Avarie, you clever woman. I do SO not want to go through Chicago.

I guess I didn’t mention the city, did I? I think it’s Eau Claire, or at least the school is called Eau Claire. I’ll pull the info out here in a bit and try to be a little more specific. I have that sort of mentality that assures me that all I have to do is drive kind of north and ta-dah! there it will be, a big sign proclaiming “JAZZ CAMP HERE!”’
Ah, the joys of blissful optimism.

easy e, indecisive, thank you for the information and the offer of help.

Also big thanks to those of you who have dropped me private emails. It makes me feel a bit better to know I won’t be all by my lonesome out there.

Avarie, you clever woman. I do SO not want to go through Chicago.

I guess I didn’t mention the city, did I? I think it’s Eau Claire, or at least the school is called Eau Claire. I’ll pull the info out here in a bit and try to be a little more specific. I have that sort of mentality that assures me that all I have to do is drive kind of north and ta-dah! there it will be, a big sign proclaiming “JAZZ CAMP HERE!”’
Ah, the joys of blissful optimism.

easy e, indecisive, thank you for the information and the offer of help.

Also big thanks to those of you who have dropped me private emails. It makes me feel a bit better to know I won’t be all by my lonesome out there.

kricket, check your hotmail.