Robert Redford Retiring

Beyond his acting, what comes to mind when I think of Redford is his environmental activism and his love of the American west. Years ago when I first visited Arches NP, I was delighted to hear his voice greeting visitors on the park radio as I drove up into the park.

His 1976 book The Outlaw Trail: A Journey Through Time is worth checking out if you’re a fan.

From my username, I might well be biased; but I’d say he can at least do one thing flawlessly: utter sincerity. Like, if you ever want a character to say stuff as if he simply and truly believes it, Redford can deliver the line perfectly.

And that, plus movie-star good looks, is a great running start I can see; and, as a mere moviegoer who can’t actually see him direct, I can but look at the accolades he earns as a director and figure, yeah, he makes what he does almost look effortless; but figure he’s putting a lot of thought into it while actively working at it.

I really like him as an actor, and love him in most of his roles (mentioned here). I will add Barefoot in the Park, since it is such fun, and Sneakers.

What? No love for ‘Jeremiah Johnson’? Iconic. IMO.

I’d rather see him play Forrest Tucker in a remake of The Ghost Busters.

We saw a bit back him and Jane Fonda in Our Souls at Night. His most recently released entry on IMDb.

A decent movie. Didn’t note anything that suggested retirement would be required.

The Candidate aired on something like TCM just before the 2016 election. I was going to re-watch it before the election but foresaw what was happening. So I put it off. And then erased it. Too painful too watch given what has happened instead.

Cleveland Show: “You’re saying that for only $10,000, I can have my skin replaced with fried chicken? Sign me up!”

:sees thread:

:makes changes for 2019 Death Pool list:

:twiddles thumbs and whistles:

Do you ever get tired of making this exact threadshit in so many threads?

[Moderating]

hajario, if you have a problem with a specific poster, take it to the Pit. This isn’t the place.

He played bewildered sincerity so well. Three Days of the Condor, The Candidate…