Roberts appointed by Bush as Chief Justice!!

Well, I’ll be damned. I never thought it would happen. I mean, I considered it, but I didn’t think Bush would do it. The worst part about it is that Roberts is only 50. Without trying to sound crass (nevermind, I’ll be crass), that’s a lot of potential years on the court.

As much as I’m not fond of Roberts past record, I’m not going to Pit him in this thread. I’m sure there’s many others to do that in.

Talk about a quickie!

He’s considering it, nothing more, as of yet.

In which I realize I was linking to old news.

Oops. :o

I’m surprised that he can do this. Isn’t there a rule that the Chief Justice must come from within the ranks of the Justices?

I presume not, if he’s nominating Roberts.

No, in fact most (not sure of exact ratio) CJ have come from outside the ranks of the Justices.

I’m reminded of that flashback episode of 'The Dick Van Dyke Show" when Rob Petrie is first hired by The Alan Brady Show, but as head writer.

IIRC, only two CJs in US history have been elevated from Associate Justice. All the rest were off-Court appointments.

Will Roberts pass on the appointment? Can you do that, if it’s from the President? curious

Considering that he was standing next to Bush when he announced it, I doubt he’ll turn it down.

Three, including Rehnquist.

I’d have liked to have been a fly on Scalia’s wall when he read this bit of news.

Plus, I’m willing to bet that Bush asked Roberts first.

Do they still get to haze the new justice as part of the initiation if he’s selected as Chief justice?

How is this a suprise? If he elevated a current Justice there would have to be an additional confirmation hearing. With everything else that is going on right now, we don’t have time for this shit.

They’ve got the goat tied up in the basement and the squid on back order already, so it’s all good.

If you were a fly on that wall, you would have been killed by the fireball when his head exploded with rage.

Scalia is a pretty smart guy. He surely expected it to play out exactly like it did.

Now, the real question is if Roberts will opt for the Gilbert and Sullivan stripes on his robe. Its’ an important issue and I expect Clinton or McCain to bring it up.

I’m assuming they’re a reference to something in Trial By Jury, but what is the reference, exactly? (Yes, yes, I know I’m turning in my G&S fangirl card by not getting it…)