Roles/characters actors should have taken but it didnt happen

Continuing the discussion from Long-running characters closely associated with a non-originating actor:0

I made this remark when discussing dr strange :
I always thought vincent price would have been unspeakably great as doctor strange as it always seemed to me that’s who they based the character on in the comic books

Name someone who should have taken been offered a role they would of been great at but it never happened

Humphrey Bogart would have played a great returning vet in The Best Years of Our Lives. His face was a roadmap of disillusionment.

And for a real outlier, Benji in The Doberman Gang. He would have been a great counterpoint as “the friendly mutt” to the dobermans.

Katie Holmes should definitely have continued as Rachel in The Dark Knight. Maggie Gylenhaal did a horrific job.

Val Kilmer auditioned for the part of Pvt. Joker in Full Metal Jacket. Apparently Kilmer felt Mathew Modine stole the part from him and challenged him to a fistfight in a restaurant. Mathew gave a fine performance, but Val could have kicked it up a notch.

In the late 1960s, there was talk of Chuck Connors playing Doc Savage. It might have been just as bad as the Ron Ely film we ended up with, but it could have been awesome.

Sean Connery turned down the role of Gandalf in Lord of the Rings, because he didn’t understand the script. He could have been awesome.

Sean Connery was offered the role of Tarzan in Tarzan the Magnificent, but he had already committed to making Doctor No. After Bond became a hit, the Tarzan producers couldn’t afford him.

Which version are we talking about here? If it was Bakshi’s script, then I don’t blame him.

No, it was the Jackson version.

There should totally have been an Ensign Ro character on ST:Voyager played by the wonderful Michelle Forbes.

He didn’t understand the script for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen either, hated the director, and hated the final product. It actually convinced him to retire from acting (well, he was having health issues too, but this epically crappy movie certainly didn’t encourage him to continue).

Actually, Ro Laren was supposed to be the second-in-command on Deep Space Nine, but Forbes didn’t want to commit to the series, so they reworked the character as Major Kira and cast Nana Visitor. Ro Laren on DS9 would have been awesome.

Clive Owen would have been a great James Bond, but reportedly he never wanted it.

When a female Doctor was announced, I was really rooting for Sinead Keenan from Being Human. Sardonic and funny, she could do both action and heavy drama, and she would have been terrific. I did like Jodie Whittaker ultimately, even if she was let down by crap scripts.

Although Sinestro’s look was based on David Niven, Zachary Scott would have been ideal to play him:

Clint Eastwood as Mr. A would have been awesome - Brand Echh – Witzend #3 – The Tom Brevoort Experience

Dustin Hoffman as Mole Man - Wikipedia would be an impeccable match-up of actor and role. There’s still time for him to do it.

For completist purposes, note that Connery did appear as a henchman in Tarzan’s Greatest Adventure (1959). Hard to imagine him as Tarzan with his accent and toupee.

The concept was based on the radio drama Chandu the Magician that Stan Lee enjoyed as a kid. But his appearance was based on Price.

Another thread with the requisite TV Tropes link.

The legendary British comedian Peter Cook turned down the title role in Dr Strangelove. While Peter Sellers take on the character is iconic, I would like to see the “alternative universe” version with Peter Cook.

He never really made it in Hollywood (with the exception of the priest in Princess Bride) and descended in alcoholism after that (not helped by his chagrin at his former comedy partner Dudley Moore who had great success)

You say this like its a bad thing.

John Lithgow turned down the role of Frasier Crane on Cheers. Kelsey Grammer really nailed the role, and went on to play it for 20 years, thanks to the spin-off Frasier. IMHO, Lithgow would have been just as good as Frasier, though probably in a different way.

when 3rd rock from the sun was on the same time Frasier someone joked Lithgow should of been Frasier’s older brother

Uma Thurman is a fine actress, but she’s no Emma Peel. That role in the Avengers movie should have gone to Elizabeth Hurley.

In the first several stories Ditko seemed to think the character was Asian. I’m not sure there was an intentional resemblance to Vincent Price especially if the source for that is a notorious confabulist like Stan Lee.