Rolled Coins

Do any banks still give out hand-rolled coin instead of machine-rolled coin? When I say “give out”, I don’t mean for free, of course! :smiley:

My bank gives back the rolled coins in whatever form they have received them - usually in some form of crimped cardboard tube, sometimes in those plastic “clamshell” containers, or even in good old paper crimped at the ends.

Thanks for the thought. Also, please say hello to Peggy’s Cove for me! (And Eastern Passage, Point Pleasant Park, and the Dingle Tower, too!) There’s no place like to explore like Nova Scotia!!! :smiley:

I think this is more a MPSIMS topic rather than GQ. MOved.

samclem

how do they know the roll wasn’t full of washers with 2 quarters on either end?

I can’t speak for all banks on this one, but the bank we use used torequire us to write our account number on each roll. Now, however, they don’t.

I suppose this is for privacy/security reasons. I would suppose, though, that the bank may just reimburse you for the loss just for good PR…unless you made a habit of it!

They might weigh them. I was told once that a roll was missing a coin, after it was weighed. I find it hard to believe a roll of washers would have the EXACT weight as the coins.

After emptying the piggy bank of #1 son, I must’ve had about $30 in quarters that I bagged up and took down to his bank for deposit.

They wouldn’t take them unrolled. I asked if they had a coin machine and was told they didn’t. Come on! A bank doesn’t have a coin sorting machine? I was incredulous, but dutifully went to the counter and counted and rolled the coins. The teller didn’t weigh them or put acct number on them, just stuck them in her drawer.

I am a little annoyed that I have to do this but since the only coins my boys save are quarters, an intentional choice, no huge deal. I guess it could be worse - I could be rolling stupid pennies for them.

My credit union now has change-counting machines, but there are banks in the area that have them for anyone to use. They spit out a paper receipt that you give to the teller, who then gives you paper money.

You might see if there is such a bank in your area.

Robin

One trick we used when I was a teller required a small piece of carbon paper, blank paper and the roll of coins. Place the carbon paper, ink side down, on the blank sheet of paper. Hold the coin roll horizontally and whack it on the carbon paper. Move the carbon paper and the blank paper should show 40 edge marks from the coins, including the ridges. No ridges = washers.

It was actually easier than it sounds, and much quicker than unrolling and re-rolling coins.

Well, at work, I know we get whatever the bank gives us, and they are usually a mix of machine rolled, the plastic thingys, and hand rolled (almost all change other than pennies seems to be hand rolled, with the two ends crimped and folded).

How often did you actually catch someone trying to scam you using this method?

Only once that I remember, and that was someone consistently shorting rolls of quarters by a buck or so. Not exactly a large scale scam. Of course, if you do that 200 times per day, 365 days per year, you can make a pretty good living.

Most banks have gotten rid of coin counters at branches, and have moved the handling and counting of coins to regional cash vaults.

Some banks will let you dump the coins into a deposit bag, enter a deposit to your account for $1.00, then once the coins are taken to the cash vault and counted, they’ll adjust the deposit to the actual amount, less whatever they charge for coin cointing.

You’re better off just going to a Coinstar machine these days. Most of them now have the option to get a gift card for iTunes, Starbucks, Amazon, etc. with no fee for the counting.

Yeah, but that sounds like work!