Rolling Stone's "His Satanic Majesty" Album

Was it a big success? I rememebr that the album cover had one of those plastic
" motion" strips…is the album a big collector’s item today?

The album reached #2, so that’s a success. Though I don’t think it sold quite as many as some other Stones albums.

The music was an attempt to be more psychedelic, but the band soon switched to the basic blues-based hard rock they started out with.

Don’t know the value of the original cover, though I suspect it’s something collectors may want. Later pressings didn’t have the plastic “motion,” so the first versions would be valuable.

It was a double during what I believe to be the greatest string of studio album home runs ever, “only” hitting #2 in the US and going gold. It was a solid effort but wasn’t a trad Stones album and is denigrated for that and for being seen as a bargain basement Sgt Peppers. In forty-some years the consensus is coming around to what I was saying all along, that the two albums should not be compared and that Their Satanic Majesties Request was more ambitious, and a lot less wimpy, than the Beatles offering.

The correct title is Their Satanic Majesties Request, which is a parody of the boilerplate from British passports: “Her Britannic Majesty’s Secretary of State requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance…”