Romney speaks ... again

Did I vote for the guy ? No.
Would I vote for the guy ? I dunno.

But I do like the cut of his jib

The top reply is pretty fitting:

https://twitter.com/lbent/status/1316023888749363201?s=20

1.It would be nice for him to speak out somewhere other than fucking twitter.
2. It would be nice if he would just endorse Biden. He did, after all, vote to remove Trump from office. Why is he being coy? As Senator Graham would say, if you don’t love Joe Biden, there’s something wrong with you
3. Both sides are not equally as fault, as this this comment from the twitterworld explains:

On the one hand, Donald Trump refuses to say whether he’ll hand over power peacefully if he loses the election.

On the other hand… Keith Olbermann?

Endorse Biden and vote against the supreme court justice until the election makes clear who will be president.

Color me unimpressed. The whole thing had a faint vibe of “good people on both sides” feel to it. Or rather, “bad people on both sides.” Very little acknowledgment that the president is responsible for virtually all of the nastiness he decries.

I imagine there’s an awkwardness towards the calls for him to endorse Biden because if Romney had his way Biden would have been retired in 2012.

I see no conflict there. Of course he would have rather been President than the Obama-Biden team, but now that it is Biden vs. Trump, I would say he is morally obligated to endorse Biden.

I think it is really clear he is either voting Biden or skipping the presidential election part of his ballot.

He can fuck right off with his “both sides” bullshit.

That’s what I saw, too. Mitt, as usual, trying to butter his bread on both sides.

To the extent that mentioning both sides in the same tweet automatically constitutes a False Equivalence … I sure don’t disagree with any of you.

But … politics being the ‘art of the possible,’ and ‘not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good,’ I have to think that – while including the Democrats in that castigation in any way diminished its power – it may also have diminished the price Romney may have to pay for taking on President and Party.

Which could definitely render him vulnerable to charges of being a chicken-shit :wink:

He only gets one vote. If he spoke unequivocally in favor of Biden, he could influence thousands of his followers. That might make a real difference.

ETA. It’s also clear he plans on running in 2024, and that this statement is more about laying the groundwork for that run than actually trying to help the country move past the Trump craziness.

Romney wouldn’t stand a chance in another GOP primary. The hardcore of the party thought he was a RINO back in 2011-12 and that group have only got louder, angrier, and bigger.

There’s an alternate universe out there where President Romney is about to hand over the keys to the White House after eight years.

Simpler times.

I guess I found myself wondering whether he (above so many others) would stand a chance running 3P.

Trump’s real base is probably … what … 30% of the electorate ? Some chunk of those voting for Biden are really voting against Trump.

I wonder …

I have no idea what Romney is trying to do here. The right will find his civility lectures boring. The left will find them lacking in substance, and aiding the status quo.

The only people who will praise this statement are probably the enlightened centrists. These people will do a lot of waffling and pearl-clutching until the eve of the election. Then they’ll sigh that liberal rhetorical overreach has literally put a gun to their head and forced them to vote Trump.

This is the problem problem with Republicans, and it has been the problem all along. The ‘nice’ wing of the party is in some ways worse because they contribute legitimacy to a party that no longer deserves it - and they know it. But their personal desire for power and influence, and their desire to keep viable a political party for the plutocrats, is giving legitimacy to a party that is literally going to tear this nation into pieces if they remain in power much longer.

I think Romney has some personal decency, but that is not enough to undo the damage he and others have caused and still cause by their affiliation with the republican party - that also goes for the never Trump republicans, too. I applaud their decency and their principles even more, but sometimes, their principles are just wrong - call their principles outdated or unsuitable to deal with current problems, I suppose, if we want to be diplomatic.

30% of the electorate in a general election. But a sizeable chunk of the Republican Party base now. They are the people that determine the party nominee.

Sounded to me like

“President Trump has been a disgusting immoral pig, who has lowered the tone of the presidency into the dumpster. But Democrats are just as bad, because they don’t just sit there and take it, and a talking head on an obscure show said bad things about Trump.”

" Both sides! Both sides! Look at how fair I’m being!"

He has a show?

That was my take as well. An equivalency between the president of the United States, and a talking head who hasn’t had a network platform for nearly a decade.

He did not vote for Trump last time , he wrote in his wife’s name.

The problem is that as long as people are convinced that the problem lies with the Other Side, they have no reason to lay down their verbal arms. Such unilateral disarmament is perceived as suicide. They want the Other Side to lay down arms before they will lay down theirs.

Of course, once the other side does, they’ll promptly lift their guns and blast away frantically.