Rooked again: the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame Omissions Thread

I suppose that every music lover has mixed feelings about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio, and its annual induction of of five musical artists/bands for a version of pop culture immortality. The Hall can’t include all of our favorites (or even all the critics’ darlings), so some must be left out in the cold.

So, what’s your favorite omission?

For me, it’s XTC, hands down. They’ve been releasing music since 1977’s White Music (I’m not counting their 1974 amateurish incarnation as “Star Park”) and so became eligible last year.

Humbly submitted to the court: a listing of original (non-compilation, non-demo) albums with salient tracks:

White Music (1977): “Statue of Liberty,” “This is Pop,” punk cover of “All Along the Watchtower”.

Go 2 (1978): “Meccanic Dancing (Oh We Go!),” “Battery Brides,” “The Rhythm”.

Drums & Wires (1979): “Making Plans for Nigel,” “Day In Day Out,” “Life Begins At the Hop,” “Real By Reel”.

Black Sea (1980): “Respectable Street,” “Generals and Majors,” “Living Through Another Cuba,” “No Language In Our Lungs,” “Burning With Optimism’s Flames”.

English Settlement (1982): “Senses Working Overtime,” “Jason and the Argonauts,” “No Thugs In Our House,” “Yacht Dance,” “It’s Nearly Africa,” “English Roundabout”.

Mummer (1983): “Wonderland,” “Love On a Farmboy’s Wages,” “Great Fire,” “Toys,” “Ladybird,” “In Loving Memory of a Name”.

The Big Express (1984): “Wake Up,” “All You Pretty Girls,” “Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her, Kiss Her” (this inspired the name of a Japanese pop group, BTW), “The Everyday Story of Smalltown,” “I Bought Myself a Liarbird”.

Skylarking (1986): “Summer’s Cauldron,” “Grass,” “The Meeting Place,” “That’s Really Super, Supergirl,” “Ballet for a Rainy Day,” “1000 Umbrellas,” “Season Cycle,” “Earn Enough For Us,” “Big Day,” “Dear God,”…

Recording as “The Dukes of Stratosphear” (1986-87)(jokingly, as a supposedly rediscovered 60’s psychedelic band): “25 O’Clock,” “What In the World?,” “Vanishing Girl,” “Have You Seen Jackie?,” “You’re a Good Man Albert Brown (Curse You Red Barrel),” “Collideascope,” “You’re My Drug,” “Brainiac’s Daughter,” “The Affiliated,” “Pale and Precious”.

Oranges and Lemons (1989): “Garden of Earthly Delights,” “The Mayor of Simpleton,” “King for a Day,” “The Loving,” “One of the Millions,” “Scarecrow People,” “Across This Antheap,” “Pink Thing,” “Chalkhills and Children”.

Nonsuch (1992): “The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead,” “Dear Madam Barnum,” “Humble Daisy,” “The Disappointed,” “Then She Appeared,” “Wrapped In Grey,” “The Ugly Underneath,” “Bungalow,” “Books are Burning”.

Apple Venus, Vol. 1 (1999): “River of Orchids,” “I’d Like That,” “Easter Theatre,” “Knights In Shining Karma,” “Fruit Nut,” “I Can’t Own Her,” “Harvest Festival”.

Wasp Star [Apple Venus Vol. 2] (2000): “Playground,” “Stupidly Happy,” “You and the Clouds Will Still Be Beautiful,” “Church of Women,” “The Wheel and the Maypole”.

The defense rests.

The Monkees.

Lynyrd Skynyrd. This one’s especially annoying, because people have been screaming about this for years now, and the Hall refuses to listen.

Yes, they did have “Freebird” and “Sweet Home Alabama,” but Skynyrd is so much more than those two songs. Go listen to songs like “The Ballad of Curtis Lowe” or “Tuesday’s Gone” and tell me they don’t deserve to be in the Hall.

E-L-O!
E-L-O!
E-L-O!
E-L-O!

Hmm…Black Sabbath, maybe?

Mr. Blue Sky, I’m curious. I like some of ELO’s work and some of Jeff Lynne’s many collaborations with other artists (I don’t really have all that much of either). If you had to choose between seeing ELO or Jeff Lynne as a solo artist get the nod, which would you pick?

I agree completely with Lynyrd Skynyrd. There were incredibly talented, and hugely influential. They’ve proven to be timeless, because their albums still sell like crazy and they still get a lot of airplay across a wide spectrum of their catalog. I don’t know what else you can ask for.

The big omission this year was Warren Zevon. Not only is he eligible, he’s one of the greatest songwriters to ever come out of rock, and he was also immensely influential. And, it just would have been a decent thing to do, considering that he has terminal cancer and probably won’t survive until next year. They should have inducted him this year.

Though I’m not a huge Lynyrd Skynyrd fan, I agree they should be in the hall.

I’d like to see Jethro Tull inducted, though I doubt I’ll see it happen. Genesis would be a nice addition too.

Siouxsie & The Banshees

What Sam Stone said about Warren Zevon.

Are the Moody Blues in yet?

I think it sucks that The Righteous Brothers just now made it in the R&RHOF, they should have been in years ago.

Spinal Tap !

No, they’re not. NO band that falls into the “art rock” category (be it the Moodies, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, or ELP), however broadly defined, has been elected into the Rock Hall of Fame, and none is ever likely to.

From what I’ve heard, the Hall actually has a large exhibit hall devoted to the art-rock movement, so visitors will see all kinds of memorabilia from art rock bands. But none of the bands themelves have made it.

I happen to think the Moody Blues should have been selected as soon as they were eligible (1990 or so?). How many other bands had greater success or longevity? And how many other bands launched a genre, as they did?

Yes! :smiley:

Seriously, the group deserves to be in there, IMHO, and Jeff should go in for his production work in the 80s & 90s.

[nitpicking] Actually, if they released their first recording as XTC in 1977, this was their first eligible year. Last year inducted those from 1976 and before, such as Talking Heads, who released the “Love–>Building on Fire” single the year before “Talking Heads '77”. [/nitpicking]

Pink Floyd’s in, and I’ve seen them classified as “prog/art” rock. Remember Johnny Rotten’s “I hate Pink Floyd” shirt? If you really want to stretch the definition, Queen is in as well, although they’re more famous in the states for their late 70s/early 80s arena rock phase.

As for omissions, well, Cheap Trick has been passed over 2 years running. I fell if The Police are in, then Cheap Trick deserves to be in as well.
I think the Sex Pistols are not being overlooked, but deliberately being snubbed to say “sure they were notorious, but they weren’t as important as The Ramones and The Clash”. Eventually they will get in.

How about predictions? Van Halen becomes eligible this year. Will they get in? I’d say yes, given how influential Eddie’s playing is. Hopefully the hall can overlook the Sammy years.

Heart - should be in already!

Someone’s got to say it - and as such it will be me!

RUSH

THe (IMHO) Greatest Band Of All Time (/IMHO)

Given that the very idea of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is absurd, I’m not sure arguing about who should be in it is worth much energy. But that said, XTC? Are you kidding? The Hall of Fame seems to reward those with some combination of massive popularity and lasting influence, and frankly XTC has neither. They may have released many a fine album, but simply surviving for 25 years shouldn’t be enough to get in, or else they’d have to let in Rush, too. :slight_smile:

XTC:Rock Hall of Fame :: Fernando Valenzuela:Baseball Hall of Fame – doing very good work for a long time just isn’t enough.

The Sex Pistols revolutionary influence on at least the next five years and really the next 25 years of music seems to make them the most grievous omission, so far. Then again, maybe Sex Pistols:Rock Hall :: Roger Maris:Baseball Hall – one year of burning really bright isn’t enough, either.

Doctor Teeth and Electric Mayhem!

The Short Circus too, while we’re at it.