Rosemary's Baby

Regarding the movie Rosemary’s Baby- Did Mia Farrow just lose a ton of weight for that part? Throughout the movie she gets thinner and thinner- by the end she looks like she’s dying. I know that was part of the movie, but is it safe to do something like that? Lose huge amounts of weight for a part? She didn’t look like she could afford to lose it to begin with. Just a thought (I was watching it today).
What a creepy movie!!!

Some mornings it just doesn’t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/zettecity/index.html

Wonderful movie, great casting! Can’t answer your question about Mia and weight-loss, though. But artful makeup and costuming would help her achieve that emaciated look.

Didn’t she get married to Sinatra during the filming? That would take a lot out of any woman.

Have you read the book? Talk about CREEPY.

Uke,
I can certainly understand makeup, but it’s her face- it’s just sunken like she had been starving herself near death!
No, I haven’t read the book, but I’ll bet it’s awesome…I will most definately read it. (I love books). Lately I’ve been into history, but I’ll be sure to work it in.
Also, I’m trying to get pregnant, so it might not be a good subject right now (major nightmares!)

Can’t sunken cheeks be achieved (on film) through a combination of lighting and makeup? See Lon Chaney in THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925)…REAL sunken cheeks, but I bet he didn’t miss any meals during the shoot.

Yike! What’re you doing watching this movie when you’re preggers? Well, the damage is done, go ahead and read the book (I shot through it in an afternoon the first time I read it)…but by all means stay away from the HORRIBLE sequel Ira Levin published a couple years ago, SON OF ROSEMARY. This is a history-making sequel, in that it not only self-destructs but reaches back into your head and ruins the FIRST book for you, too.

Hail Adrian!

Uke

I read her autobiography a few years ago, and if I am remembering correctly, one day during the making of the movie, one of Sinatra’s goons came in, walked onto the set, and handed her divorce papers. She had no idea that anything was wrong at the time. How lame is that?? Whatever. I’ll never understand why anyone has anything but disdain for Sinatra, personally. Boring music and a jerk besides.

>^,^<
“Cluemobile? You’ve got a pickup…”
OpalCat’s site: http://opalcat.com
The Teeming Millions Homepage: fathom.org/teemingmillions

Uke,
I’m not pregnant, I’m trying…but I still think reading it would give me bad dreams…I’ve got babies on the brain lately :slight_smile:

Zette: Quit “trying”… just have sex and have fun with it. (Didn’t I tell you on that eons-ago pregnancy thread that you’ll have no luck unless you change your mind or make plans to start a big project?)

In addition to Rosemary’s Baby, steer clear of The Seventh Sign and the Omen movies until AFTER you’ve given birth. And for chrissakes DON’T listen to the song Lightning Crashes by Live.

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

Sorry. I forgot one movie: Devil’s Advocate. Great movie, but only if you’re not in process of becoming pregnant/going through pregnancy.

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

When I was pregnant I was flipping through channels and found a movie. In the scene that I watched, a woman died giving birth. The thought of dying after giving birth never ocurred to me before, and I got hysterical. My ex (that was during the time he was nice) had to comfort me, especially when I tried to sleep. It was a very scary thought.

MaryAnn
Sometimes life is so great you just gotta muss up your hair and quack like a duck!

Also stay away from the IT’S ALIVE! movies, Zette. Although the milk truck scene is a true classic, you might never want to have hetero sex again!

You might also want to avoid all the Alien movies.

Also be careful to avoid a movie called BASKET CASE.

Chris,
I do remember your advice- I guess I should have said “we’re having sex real regular and hoping to get pregnant” instead of “we’re trying” :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Dif- I have seen “Basket Case”- I thought it was funny (but it saw it years ago).
Thanks for the advice, everyone :slight_smile:

Sorry I misread you, Zette, my dove. Blond moment on my part. Have lots of fun in your upcoming “efforts!”

Oh, and don’t watch David Cronenberg’s THE BROOD either.

Geez, there DO seem to be a lot of off-limits flicks for pregnant couples, don’t there? Is that because men are running the show in Hollywood?

Uke

Slythe said, “Also stay away from the IT’S ALIVE! movies, Zette. Although the milk truck scene is a true classic, you might never want to have hetero sex again!”

Wow, that is how it happened to me. :wink: Ever since I saw it I never had hetero sex. :wink:

BTW, what’s the deal with women without babies not able to see Rosemary’s Baby? My youngest sister is dating a hispanic man back in Texas and him and his family started watching it and she was sent away because she did not have any kids as were all the other girls. I figured it was some cultural thing that I just don’t understand. I have many hispanic, black, asian, straight and gay friends but this was the first time I remember there being a marked difference in our belief systems.

HUGS!
SqrlCub

PS. I never saw Rosemary’s Baby or It’s Alive.

Move over Satan. :wink: Now there’s something meatier. http://smallwonder.simplenet.com/COC.html

Don’t watch ANYTHING by David Cronenberg.

And don’t watch “The Brady Bunch”, because those kids will remove any desire of motherhood.

Jacques Kilchoer
Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains.

Sqrl-
Because…MOVIE SPOILER ALERT! MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!
Rosemarys baby is about a woman who moves into a weird apartment complex and becomes friends with another older couple…To make a long story short, they drug her, rape her and she becomes pregnant…with the devil’s offspring. She carrys the baby (thinking it’s her husbands) and in the end the people steal the baby upon it’s birth (by drugging her), tell her it’s dead and take care of it themselves in their apartment.
Needless to say, eventually she hears the baby, finds it and a whole bunch of freaks are having a party to welcome it into the world. They have it in a black bassinette. Her husband was in on it all along- they’re part of a satanic cult. She looks in the crib and just keeps screaming “His Eyes! What’s wrong with his eyes??” Which you assume are probobly red, like the demon that raped her.
Now do you see why it might be a little upsetting for pregnant women? It’s a real mind-fuck, that’s for sure…