Rotating restaurants

How do they connect utilities in restaurants that rotate? The Space Needle in Seattle; the “Equinox” atop the Hyatt Regency in San Francisco; and so on. Sewer, water, electricity, telephone, gas…Granted the sewer could be (probably is) in the very center, but how would the others be connected if they had to rotate? Perhaps the electricity woujld connect via a rotating wheel, similar to the electrified arm on a trolley car; or the water be stored in a tank and drawn periodically instead of continuously; but I’m just clutching at a straw.

All connections, as well as the stairs and elevator come through the non-rotating hub.
They all stay there with the exception of elecricity, which is transferred to the rim by rotating electrical contacts. Water is generally supplied by waiters, in glasses and pitchers.

What, you thought the kitchen and bathrooms were moving, too? (The kitchen is not even on the same floor).

Nickrz covers it. Just a personal observation: Unless you really want to pay a whole lot for food that’s not that good, avoid eating at restaurants that rotate or float.

Doug, you’ve apparently never had a meal at the Tower of Americas restaurant in San Antonio.

“There will always be somebody who’s never read a book who’ll know twice what you know.” - D.Duchovny

Well, ya, but it’s so much fun. One of my personal quests is to visit every revolving restraunt in the world. So far, I’ve been to one is Seoul, Korea and New Delhi, India.

Anybody know of others outside of the U.S.?

“I think it would be a great idea” Mohandas Ghandi’s answer when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Well, Mazie, I’ve never been in San Antonio, or Texas, except on the way to Indiana, once in 1965 (Dalhart) and 1998 (Dallas-Fort Worth). And although I’ve been to San Francisco a number of times I never ate in the Equinox.

I’ve eaten at one rotating restaurant outside the USA (the Canadian National Railroad Tower in Toronto). The view is stunning, the food is just a step above mediocre.

There’s one in Vancouver in some hotel or other, if you really want to try them all.

There is a fabulous Chinese rotating restaurant overlooking the harbor (well, some of the time) in Singapore. The food is superb.

There’s one in Dallas, Antares, in the Reunion Tower (the thing that looks like a microphone in the Dallas skyline). I’ve been in it and concur that in this case the rotation is to give you a plausible alternative explanation to the nausea you’re feeling.

At Antares, the entire restaurant does not rotate - just the circular track on which the tables and chairs sit. there is a non-rotating hub in the middle and the exterior walls are also stationary. (don’t put your purse on the windowsill or you must wait an hour before it comes trundling back!) Utilities would therefore be no problem. I suspect many if not all rotating restaurants are the same.

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef

They use those twisty hoses, and wires.

BTW; Good food in Texas??? Welll. :slight_smile:
Peace,
mangeorge

Uh-oh! Them’s fightin’ words, mg!

I know, Nick.
What I did find in Texas was good lookin’ wimmen and a good sense of humor.
I promise not to mention Grandy’s.
OOPS! :slight_smile:
Peace,
mangeorge

When dining at the CN Tower, I had to use the men’s room, that does not move with the dining floor. When I returned, my wife & our table had moved on.(It turns @ 1 RPH) I felt felt pretty stupid until I noticed several other folks’ bewilderment!

Zymurgist

I’m with Mazey on this one. The Tower of the Americas restaurant in San Antonio is pretty reasonable. I think one of the reasons is that they confine themselves to pretty standard American fare–that is, stuff like barbecued beef, fajitas, fried chicken, steak, you know, the same thing you find at any Bennigan’s type chain. It’s not too hard to make it good, and the restaurant doesn’t charge you an arm and a leg for it. Your entree would cost you about three bucks more than it would at the TGI Friday’s down the street. Not too bad a deal for getting to be way up there and revolving.

I know this because I see my aunt and uncle in San Antonio about every two years and they always insist on going up there to eat. I would say that that particular revolving restaurant is a reasonable price-value deal.

mangeorge, we have other food items in Texas besides greeyuts and barbecue (although I will admit I’ve turned at least ONE Yankee’s head with my chili). I do believe we’ve even run Grandy’s out of San Antonio. <g>

Lawrence, I'll have to re-check the menu at the TofA restaurant. While they may have the items you mentioned, I'm particularly partial to their fresh grilled fish (numerous varieties) or their prime rib.

As far as fine food in Texas....y'all ought to come to San Antonio, and go to a little place called Ernesto's. The most outSTANDING Mexican cuisine made by a Cuban-French sauciere you'll find. (We're talking oysters as big as baseballs...chilled  Avocado soup...veal with a lemon cream cilantro sauce...)

Golly! It's time for dinner!!!

“There will always be somebody who’s never read a book who’ll know twice what you know.” - D.Duchovny