Route 66 - Advice, tips, must-sees?

There is a similar thread which I posted to.

Oatman, AZ and Amboy, CA are interesting places.

In Oatman, don’t let the ass in the door hit you on the way out.

In Amboy, check out Roy’s. And Amboy Crater.

I wouldn’t say we’re not attached to the idea of Route 66 - we’re not romanticising it (I don’t think!) but it would be a very cool experience. Also I think you’re right, the Southwest is about the furthest thing from where we live now/where we’re from that I can think of.

I’m soaking up all this information, so keep it coming! Thanks, everyone.

Seligman, (between Flagstaff and Kingman) in Arizona, is the home of the “famous” Snow Cap Drive-In.

These websites could be very useful in travelling the “Mother Road.”

http://www.historic66.com/ has turn-by-turn directions for following the road as close as possible as it was laid out.

Route 66 the Great American Highway. A valuable resource for finding attractions along the way. This is the site I used for the segment between Chicago and St. Louis.

There are too many attractions and recommendations to list here. However, I have a website, Route 66 News, which contains pages on Lodging, Attractions, Restaurants, and Campgrounds. I think you’ll find my lists to be relatively well-vetted.

Reported for moderator judgment.

It is a nice website. I’m glad to be aware of it, and it certainly is on topic. Doesn’t seem to be pushing a product.

But that’s just my 2 cents.

Route 66 is neat-o! :cool:

Yeah, I mentioned that in the report that it looks legit and on topic but it’s still (very technically) spamming but i thought the mods should look and decide.

These are good sites!
There is SO much info out there now on Route 66 and you would have NO IDEA how many folks are out there raising funds to preserve it - traveling it - and many preservationists (like myself) who want to keep it around for the next generation.

I would take my time and see what you can - you won’t be disappointed!

But then again, I’m biased!!

Ed - Route 66 World

I want to put in a plug for the Route 66 Museums in Kingman and Barstow. Kingman’s museum has the added attraction(?) of Mr D’z Route 66 Diner across the street. In Barstow there’s a great railroad museum next door, with an amazing display of “date nails”.

Just at the western edge of Oklahoma is The Roger Miller Museum. Last weekend a friend of mine met Martha Plimpton there. (She was passing through, he was in town on unrelated business. She was very gracious. I’m jealous.) YMMV

OK, so, we’ve just booked our flights and we arrive in Chicago just after 9pm on 29th July. Can anyone recommend a hotel? We’d like to hang around Chicago for a couple of days before we pick up the car and hit the road - so recommendations for places to go/things to see in town would be great too!

I’d host you myself except the family will be in from Texas that week.

The best advice is probably to use Priceline or Hotwire to get a good deal on pretty much any hotel offered in downtown or Mag Mile areas. I think it’s still too early to get a good deal by bidding, though. Priceline calls these “Area 7: Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park and Area 8: North Michigan Ave - River North Area.” All hotels in those two areas are perfectly fine unless you have very refined tastes.

Parking will be pricey downtown, so don’t get the car until it’s time to leave town. I guess to do it right, you’ll have to drive back downtown to Adams and Michigan, the official start of Route 66.

You MUST visit Gary Turner’s Sinclair station in Missouri.
http://garysgayparita.com/
Plan to stop and talk with the man for a while. He is a national treasure.

MUST stay at the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari, NM. Make a reservation to be sure.
http://www.blueswallowmotel.com/

J66, could you elaborate on this section a bit more? I was thinking of going this stretch from Kingman to Barstow in May. I’ve heard the Kingman to Oatman segment described as “challenging” but I’m thinking your description may be closer to the truth, judging from pictures I’ve seen. Is it true there are no guardrails on the mountain roads to Oatman?

Teacake, I started exploring Route 66 about four years ago and it is fascinating. It took me two days just to go from Williams, AZ to Kingman, AZ. I ended up staying the night in both Williams and Seligman I was having so much fun. Take your time and stop at any place that interests you. Also watch for the telltale signs of the earlier route, you will notice utility poles that suddenly veer off the existing road, or you can see the outline of the old road through empty fields. The bst book I found to guide you is the EZ Guide by Jerry McClanahan. Its especially helpful keeping you on track because along the way, some towns will post signs saying “Route 66” to get you to visit. I spent close to two hours lost in Missouri following these signs which led nowhere in particular. The best advise I ever read is that Route 66 closely followed the railroad tracks. If you feel lost, get back to the road by by the tracks. Enjoy